sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How much cash should I keep in my portfolio

Hi Eeverybody

I thought to find out how much people are keeping cash in their portfolio and where they holding cash. I heard fund managers are still holding higher than usual-cash-stakes and plenty of fund managers are continue to play defense.

I have also heard we should keep some cash for emergency expenses.

We all have differences such as age, portfolio and trading or investment styles.

In my case, I'm couple of years away from retirement. Curently, my Kiwi-saver is in 100% cash fund.

Thank you in advance for your valuable thoughts.

Personally for the past 2 years i've allocated 1/3rd of my total portfolio wealth into playing options. But so far 2023 is looking to be the most hated year by those that have been sitting on the sidelines with cash. Buffet knows himself that you're always better to put your cash to work in good times and in bad times. The problem is most people holding cash will usually miss out on valuable gains. One should be thinking contrarian and that is be moving cash into markets now before interest rates starts coming down and inflation figures abate.

SBQ

I think even WB raise cash when he see extended value in stocks and then keep them until he find good investments. If I am correct,this time Berkshire have posted $35.5 B profits. But they have sold over $13 B in stocks.

https://money.usnews.com/investing/s...tt-just-bought

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/warre...092800591.html

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/05/16/i...%20term%20bets.
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 04-06-2023 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valuegrowth View Post
    Hi Eeverybody

I thought to find out how much people are keeping cash in their portfolio and where they holding cash. I heard fund managers are still holding higher than usual-cash-stakes and plenty of fund managers are continue to play defense.

We all have differences such as age, portfolio and trading or investment styles.

In my case, I'm couple of years away from retirement. Curently, my Kiwi-saver is in 100% cash fund.

I've been terrible at keeping cash on the sidelines ... I'm the burn the hole in the pocket kind of guy ..can't stand not being 100% invested ... of course sometimes that investment will be in a Market Short ETF .
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Advanced Member

Hi Eeverybody

Just wondering why you have your Kiwisaver in 100 % cash ? Are you taking it all out the day you turn 65 to pay the mortgage ?
    If you are going to live till the average age , this sum if it sits in cash is going to get eroded by inflation pretty quickly .....

These days I am experimenting some different things that I never did. Today, I shorted some tech stocks using an ETF listed in Au.
    Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    I've been terrible at keeping cash on the sidelines ... I'm the burn the hole in the pocket kind of guy ..can't stand not being 100% invested ... of course sometimes that investment will be in a Market Short ETF .

As markets were hot over the last couple of years, I decided to keep it in 100% cash. One option is paying off part of morgage as soon as I turn 65. The second option is invest half of it in the stock market and make use of balance amount to pay off some morgage.
    Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    Just wondering why you have your Kiwisaver in 100 % cash ? Are you taking it all out the day you turn 65 to pay the mortgage ?
    If you are going to live till the average age , this sum if it sits in cash is going to get eroded by inflation pretty quickly .....

Advanced Member

As markets were hot over the last couple of years, I decided to keep it in 100% cash. One option is paying off part of morgage as soon as I turn 65. The second option is invest half of it in the stock market and make use of balance amount to pay off some morgage.
    You could go 50 % cash fund so you have the mortgage option and 50 % Growth now which would be the same as investing it back in the market when you turn 65.

Thank you. Which kiwi saver provider will allow me to do like that?
    Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    You could go 50 % cash fund so you have the mortgage option and 50 % Growth now which would be the same as investing it back in the market when you turn 65.
    Last edited by Valuegrowth; 05-06-2023 at 08:24 PM.

Advanced Member

Thank you. Which kiwi saver provider will allow me to do like that?
    Most should allow a split . However I do know Generate Kiwisaver allows you to split your funds into whatever % allocation you want to across their KiwiSaver funds.
    https://www.generatewealth.co.nz/
    Not advice, do your own research.