sharetrader
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is exactly my concern too. Is my ASB share trading account exposed to the dreaded counter-party risk should the parent Bank get into strife?

Basically this seems to be akin to a ‘bail-in’ situation similar to that prescribed by the Open Bank Resolution where depositors become responsible for the shortfalls created a bank.

Does anyone know of an online service that provides the equivalent of a share certificate? I think we all got rogered here by our transactions all being pooled under the Halifax account?! Any advice would be welcomed.

I checked out the Halifax software but wasnt impressed and so lost interest in them.

Always get stuff you buy registered in your own name if at all possible. Sure CFD's cant be , and overseas holdings tend to be custodial but dont have to be (I think)
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

anyone went to the 2nd meeting?

No but there is a good podcast of the meeting on the administrators website https://www.ferrierhodgson.com/au/cr...ealand-limited

Very frustrating as an IB user - we are getting shafted simply because our funds passed through an (illegally) pooled multi-platform account on the way to our brokerage account. This account was being siphoned by the Bentley-leasing lizard in Australia to pay operating expenses. With no intention on our part, we have ended up using 10 cents of someone else’s money for every dollar transferred to the IB platform.

BBY clients one step closer to finding out their fate four years after the collapse

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-...ction=business

i had a account with BBY but was fortunate to have moved my funds a yr before demise. do not have funds with halifax but wonder if this means halifax situation will drag on for yrs like BBY
    one step ahead of the herd

Guru

This looks hopeful for those affected
    http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/2...September+2019

Advanced Member

Just been through the KPMG Investor Update - 24 Aug 2020

Is this for real ? Seems unbelievable to me ? Aren't these the guys the same ones who caused the issue ? Lets say they are successful....will we then need to approach them, as the Majority Shareholders, for our share of the money that might be transferred to them ? Or do they just pop it in their bank and walk away ? What to do ? Trust the process ? Any thoughts ?

"The Liquidators understand the argument, in a very short form, put forward by the Majority Shareholders is that clients of Halifax AU who paid the full purchase price to Halifax AU in respect of shares were not beneficial owners of those shares but rather had contractual entitlements as if they had entered into “contracts for difference” in respect of which Halifax AU was the counter party. This is, according to the Majority Shareholders, even though investors may have believed that they were entering into transactions to acquire shares. As a consequence, investors would be creditors of Halifax AU (rather than beneficiaries of a trust). The Majority Shareholders argue that Investor claims should be valued as at 23 November 2018, with any surplus assets above the 23 November 2018 balance of the portfolio (taking into account the deficiency) to be paid to them."

I signed up to Halifax.com.au but never gave them any funds.
    I checked all my correspondence with them and it was clearly CFD's they were offering

However it would appear to me that they should have held the money in trust according to this from the FMA web site https://www.fma.govt.nz/compliance/r...tives-issuers/

Licensed derivatives issuers are required to comply with the requirements contained in the FMC Regs for the handling of derivatives investor money and derivatives investor property. These include:

• Holding derivatives investor money and derivatives investor property on trust for the investor (or ensuring that derivatives investor money and derivatives investor property is held on trust for the investor).
    • Ensuring that derivatives investor money is paid promptly into a specified bank to a trust account and held separate from money held by or for the derivatives issuer or offeror on its own account.
    • Daily reconciliations of derivatives investor money and derivatives investor property either by an equity-based reconciliation in accordance with regulation 244A of the FMC Regs or a cash-based reconciliation in accordance with regulation 244B of the FMC Regs (an equity-based reconciliation must be carried out if the derivatives issuer carries out authorised hedging activities).
    • Derivatives investor money and derivatives investor property must not be used to satisfy any liability of a derivatives issuer.
    • Keeping and maintaining up-to-date records of derivatives investor money and derivatives investor property held for each investor.
    • Obtaining an assurance report, within 4 months after the issuer’s balance date, that states whether, in the auditor’s opinion, the derivatives issuer’s processes, procedures, and controls relating to derivatives investor money and derivatives investor property were suitably designed and operated effectively during the accounting period (see the Supervision by us section for information about additional assurance reporting obligations).
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    I signed up to Halifax.com.au but never gave them any funds.
    I checked all my correspondence with them and it was clearly CFD's they were offering

However it would appear to me that they should have held the money in trust according to this from the FMA web site https://www.fma.govt.nz/compliance/r...tives-issuers/
    I think "should" is the operative word Peat unfortunately. I signed up via NZ, I think my acct is in Australia, IB. Funded it with USA dollars and now have a spectacular mess. Only bought USA shares which I thought would be held in my name even if at a custodial service. Not so seemingly. Very ugly.

Advanced Member

Is anyone interested in discussing this ?

After getting my head around what the judgement meant for me...and reluctantly accepting the reaming...we are now advised as below:
    https://assets.kpmg/content/dam/kpmg...-june-2021.pdf

"On 15 and 16 June 2021, the solicitors for the First Defendant, Mr Loo, filed an Application for extension of
    time and leave to appeal in the Federal Court of Australia and a Notice of Appeal in the Court of Appeal of
    New Zealand. In summary, the First Defendant’s position is that their Honours erred in concluding that the
    Liquidators of Halifax AU and Halifax NZ were justified in adopting 27 November 2018 as the date at which
    the proportionate entitlements of the Investors were to be calculated (see FAQ (4) below) and that the date
    at which proportionate entitlements are calculated should be as close as possible to the distribution date
    and, in any event, only after the Liquidators have realised all extant investments"

I am trying to get my head around what this might mean for us. But I am not sure that I have the right information to make even a partially informed decision. Our account was down 7% Nov 18, but is up 42% Jun 21. Based on the judgement...it seems I would get back ~93% of the cash I put in. But I just can't see I have the information to figure out what Mr Loo's idea might mean. I have tried this morning to model some scenarios in a spreadsheet if anyone is interested ? The receivers seem responsive, return emails, I might need to go back to them and ask for more info ? Or is it even worth worrying about...should I simply trust the process, which is how I have managed it so far. Clearly Mr Loo is not of that opinion. Anyone have any additional ideas ?