sharetrader
    Legend

Default Tauranga's Unelected Council Shambles

https://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-news/3501...ities-tauranga

‘Shameful’: Rage at proposed rent, fees increases of 240% for charities in Tauranga

* A proposal by Tauranga commissioners has shocked residents, who this week protested against plans to hike rents and charges at not-for-profit businesses 240%

* Affected tenants include services to elderly, crime victims, at-risk youth and the sick, as well as art, sports and funerals

* A former mayor slated it as “shameful and undemocratic”, wants government to intervene.

The plan includes increased charges for boat users, sports and dead people: the cost of cremation and burial at the council crematorium and cemeteries is going up, as is playing footy, bowls and tennis.

Commissioners seemed surprised at the amount of opposition. While chair Anne Tolley tapped along to a protester’s ukulele, she was tight lipped on whether she was persuaded.

“Council is proposing a 243% increase in our current rent - when you add in proposed opex charges - it’s an increase of 297%. That would be the death knell. I don’t know what universe they’re in to think people can afford increases when we’re volunteers.”

He said the proposals conflicted with the Local Government Act, which stipulates councils should “promote the social, economic, environmental and cultural wellbeing of communities”.

Time to kick out these Unelected Commissioners who appear to have lost their way on what is required & in best interests of Tauranga.

What is being seen is nothing short of shameful IMO

Quote Originally Posted by nztx View Post
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-news/3501...ities-tauranga

What is being seen is nothing short of shameful IMO
    I agree with you, but I have to say that I am not enormously surprised that Ann Tolley (ex Nat Cabinet) prioritises the interests of propety and business owners over those of needier and less powerful groups.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by davflaws View Post
    I agree with you, but I have to say that I am not enormously surprised that Ann Tolley (ex Nat Cabinet) prioritises the interests of propety and business owners over those of needier and less powerful groups.

Who was the Labour seatwarmer who oversaw the Commissioners continuing their tenure, and did nothing - Was it Miss Megawaters Reforms (with more c*ock-ups than hot dinners seen along the way), or another from the clueless huddle of incompetents dithering away ?