sharetrader

View Poll Results: How Serious is this Bear Market ?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Bear is just a pussycat, there's nothing to be worried about

10 10.10%
  • This bear has claws and will scratch some chunks out of you but not much

39 39.39%
  • This bear has real teeth and will bite serious chunks out of your portfolio if you're not careful

39 39.39%
  • This bear has teerth and claws and is going to do sustained damage

11 11.11%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    He's had the Congress and the House to get them done.
    Hopeless. Inept.

Can you imagine Clinton, Johnson, or Nixon racking up such a succession of policy failures because they couldn't get the politics right?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post
    I don’t mind the trumpet. The Americans hired him because they wanted a wall. Who knows whether it comes, but someone will pull out. Whether it be one or the other the wall will get built and the world will survive. Merry Christmas to ALL including Jacinda and Trump.
    I believe you are calling this situation in black and white ...when it is a thousand shades of grey-----All emotions aside ...Trump is inexperienced...thats a fact....He has now eliminated all the ''experience'' around him---So it is basically just him and ''yes'' men.............That means inexperience rules..........and inexperience makes mistakes....we are seeing that

We dont know what the stock market is going to do for sure....but Trumps input is not coming from an experienced arena

Im sure he will try anything to create a bounce...but his job has gotten a whole lot harder in terms of market confidence.He may try more ''gifts''like the tax cuts,which by now have run out of ''legs''---One way or the other ,the market has now seen a pattern that has defied the bounces after the drops...(confidence wise ...thats a hit)

Its very hard for me to see how this ''wall'' thing is going to work for him....He has owned the shutdown..(congress voted for a budget to avoid the shutdown....and Trump stopped it)..His supporters will not see it...but pretty much all others see that he ''owns'' this............................Meanwhile Democrats are coming to the house in January as a majority (I think we have to accept that things will not be the same as before).......There are alot more things coming to haunt Trump because of the house majority and I think all will agree Trump does things often without thinking them through. Maybe he will luck out again ,but lets face it,sooner or later things catch up...where ever you stand it is uncertain times---there are alot more things out there besides ''the wall''....(and what happens if he cannot swing it for his ''core'')----Would you ''cave'' if you were the Democrats with a chink in Trumps armour on display?.................or maybe everything will be ok and will bounce nicely and carry on.....all one can do is try to figure the odds with what info is available.
    Last edited by skid; 24-12-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post
    It certainly is a rarity .... might not agree with his ideas but he does seem to have great stamina to get them done
    Lets not forget that Trump has had the almost unheard of advantage of having both the House and the Senate under his parties control.....has he made good use of this absolute power?..Now his stamina will be put to the test as.Democrats have the House starting in January. All bets are off if we are using the past 2 years to make our predictions-----------------the markets loved Trump because he gave them(the swamp?)anything they wanted ...tax cuts...rolling back regulations...He can try to carry on ...but now there is half of congress to stop him
    Last edited by skid; 24-12-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    What impending crash in the US?

You guys worry far too much. So many experts who look after zillions can’t be wrong

From @carlquintanilla on Twitter
    Number of major Wall Street strategists who think the S&P will fall next year: Zero.
    Not sure whether that post was dripping with sarcasm or your honest opinion... What were their track records on predicting the GFC?

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond47 View Post
    Not sure whether that post was dripping with sarcasm or your honest opinion... What were their track records on predicting the GFC?
    No idea how these guys did at predicting the GFC

I’ve no idea whether there’s going to be a big crash or not in 2019 but the s&p at 1200 wouldn’t surprise me, nor would the NZ50C at 2500. Things have looked weak all of 2018 haven’t they.

Maybe the question is do we put more credence on the combined wisdom of people on a forum in NZ or the Strategists at the 19 biggest broking / finance companies in the US who think the s&p will go up in 2019.

However the way Mnuchin is behaving today they’ve probably already changed their mind.
    Last edited by winner69; 24-12-2018 at 04:14 PM.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    Kauri Gum? Hugh?Is it wort something? I have a rugby ball sized bit sitting on the bench.
    Googling & found this for you JT
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=11322170
    Nice one thanks.That looks to be a beautiful piece. Its been cleaned and polished and prob varnished/oiled/polurethaned.Its the colour and clarity and purity rather than the size. Most gum is rubbish and some looks like a piece of fat. The older it gets the more transparent,honey, golden syrupy colour it gets and eventually the gum (if its top quality ) goes completely clear ,maybe at 50-60,000 years plus. Air bubbles and inclusions like ants make it more collectable and interesting .
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 26-12-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Guru

Wall st down 700 as I type on Christmas morning (about to go for a run don't ask) so this is some serious sustained selling. The question is, when do we re-enter the market to pick up some bargains. Not there yet I suspect.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Wall st down 700 as I type on Christmas morning (about to go for a run don't ask) so this is some serious sustained selling. The question is, when do we re-enter the market to pick up some bargains. Not there yet I suspect.
    Not a question I have to answer as I'm all in and have no intention of exiting.

I'm drip feeding into Smartshares Funds over the next 12 months (S&P 500 and other funds). I started at the start of the month and will stick to the plan.

Waking up to a drop of 2.7 percent was a weirdly nice present. Won't feel so good when I have more in the index.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    I think Im starting to get the picture---The stock analysts prediction will have to come true because there will not be anywhere further to go ,but up