sharetrader
Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Napier Port IPO

Guru

how the share price has gone up on a bad (not even okay) result and very uncertain outlook is beyond me

Banned

Love it eh TJ...with the current market...all shares are trading almost pre covid price .

The forecast is so bleak yet the SP up 3 %.... welcome to our lala land....keep it up labour!!!

Investor

Looks like someone is propping it up at the open, let's see where it finishes by end of day trade.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by trader_jackson View Post
    No dividend??? wow
    Should really be sub $2.
    Might make people think twice before throwing money at "safe" "dividends only increase" infrastructure/utility stocks like power co's and ports
    Might therefore make people think twice about alot of companies listed on the NZX...
    My thoughts too, plus have long viewed the high PE on this stock to be suspect & a product of IPO participant's price jacking,
    remaining overpriced subsequently since listing.
    The previous Final dividend shortchanged on the indicated cps at time of float, if not mistaken - by 0.5 cps

The earnings for the company are not all that fantastic, compared with others in the same sector
    and Dividend yield (even before canning the interim Div) was quite miserable already

A large controlling shareholding by HBRC probably augers for continuing miserable dividends
    in the future, which in turn raises further question on what is pushing the price up on adverse news
    (Perhaps more Hot Air - like with AIR - who knows..).

Putting another stack of company cash into Capital Assets in face of an uncertain future in international
    global markets tends to raise question of whether expansion into new wharf etc is now really necessary
    or just a grandiose vanity project, because it was one reason why NPH got floated in first place out
    of the HBRC Capital Deficient camp.

Under current Majority HBRC control it will likely be a question of not 'if' but 'when' regardless
    of undoubtedly heavily inflated costs when the 'when' becomes something that is happening

So a SP under $2 with no dividend until at least year end - Dec 2020 and then likely to be shaved downwards, appears very reasonable IMO
    Last edited by nztx; 26-05-2020 at 06:49 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by trader_jackson View Post
    how the share price has gone up on a bad (not even okay) result and very uncertain outlook is beyond me
    I have been saying this stock is overvalued from the start and all I got was negativity. It keeps going up as kiwi companies with long backgrounds are difficult to find, but I find they lack on the fundamentals. Most people would have thought, "this is a steady income stream". I feel it will do ok in the future and will always be around, but I would not invest with figures produced and COVID on their tails. At the end of the day the market determines the price

The Napier City Council needed this income as a way to subsidise the rate payer. I guess with no income from the port and apparently needing a 12% increase to break even, they will need to borrow to break even due to COVID, NCC need a prayer........

Quote Originally Posted by Ggcc View Post
    I have been saying this stock is overvalued from the start and all I got was negativity. It keeps going up as kiwi companies with long backgrounds are difficult to find, but I find they lack on the fundamentals. Most people would have thought, "this is a steady income stream". I feel it will do ok in the future and will always be around, but I would not invest with figures produced and COVID on their tails. At the end of the day the market determines the price

The Napier City Council needed this income as a way to subsidise the rate payer. I guess with no income from the port and apparently needing a 12% increase to break even, they will need to borrow to break even due to COVID, NCC need a prayer........
    Napier City Council don't own anything in the port. That's the hawkes Bay regional council you are trying to talk about.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dlownz View Post
    Napier City Council don't own anything in the port. That's the hawkes Bay regional council you are trying to talk about.
    Sorry correct HBRC is the majority shareholder. I was talking to a local councillor and he said the port slowdown and the lack of tourism from cruise ships is losing the council money.

Sorry correct HBRC is the majority shareholder. I was talking to a local councillor and he said the port slowdown and the lack of tourism from cruise ships is losing the council money.
    Who are you talking too. Businesses are losing money. But the council is actually saving money from not having tourists around.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dlownz View Post
    Who are you talking too. Businesses are losing money. But the council is actually saving money from not having tourists around.
    Someone who is in our council, who apparently does not know what he is talking about I guess. Hey but back to the port and it being overvalued.......

Guru

No cruise ships = no berthing fees.

But hey, not worries for the council, because regardless they always have ratepayers to stick it too!!