sharetrader

View Poll Results: Will the Bear come here ?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bears can't swim too far so we are safe

5 11.11%
  • The existing bears at Zoo's might claw us

11 24.44%
  • Existing bears at Zoo's will escape and do some damage

20 44.44%
  • Bears will arrive on ships and take over the country

9 20.00%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

NZX50 ended the year up 4.6%, one of the few markets in the world to be in the green for the year.
    NZ investors in effect were handed a "get out of jail free card" in 2018...what they do with that in 2019 is up to them.
    Just as well it’s a gross index with dividends (reinvested as well) counted

NZX50Capital up 1% last year but 8% off its August highs
    ”When investors are euphoric, they are incapable of recognising euphoria itself “

percy

Some headlines.
    ANZ expect cash rate to fall.
    NZ's unemployment rate declined to 3.9% in the third quarter of 2018.
    Christmas retail bonanza .
    Maybe this Bear is Cookie Bear?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Some headlines.
    I Love all kinds of Bears including Cookie Bear of course.PS-Every man should own at least one Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Some headlines.
    Slowing economic growth and a very low unemployment generally leads to a bust ....but thats a big problem for 2020

At 3.9% the unemployment rate is well below 4.6% RB economists estimate to be consistent with low inflation

RBNZ leading us to not so good times .....and ANZ have ulterior motives for ‘forecasting’ lower interest rates
    ”When investors are euphoric, they are incapable of recognising euphoria itself “

I agree . It is a stock pickers market.Have been hit with HGH but donot sell . Will buy at the bottom. have a lot

percy

Quote Originally Posted by horus1 View Post
    I agree . It is a stock pickers market.Have been hit with HGH but donot sell . Will buy at the bottom. have a lot
    A year ago HGH's share price was a lot higher than it is today,yet today the business is in a lot better shape than it was a year ago.This will be confirmed when their half year result comes out in about 4 or 5 weeks time.

I actually added to our holding a couple of weeks ago,which caused the sp to drop further..lol..
    Last edited by percy; 02-01-2019 at 12:55 PM.

$1.30 ish is possibly somewhere close to the bottom (assuming the custard doesn't really hit the fan AKA GFC Mk2) but financials have never been known to be a defensive sector in a bear market before...so plenty of risk even at the current beaten down price and quite probably a 50/50 call whether this goes up or down in 2019 in my opinion. Disc: Holding a very modest stake for dividend yield.
    They certainly have a more consistent track record than TRA with growing eps and are on not dissimilar metrics. Looks a much better bet than TRA to my eyes.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

I have been adding.

percy

Yes it will be interesting seeing whether HGH or TRA outperforms the other this year.
    At this stage I think HGH's Australian REL business has the momentum to carry the day for HGH.
    However, I and prepared to be pleasantly surprised by TRA.
    In the meantime, both are paying large fully imputed divies,which they look able to maintain much to my pleasure.
    I look forward to seeing which one increases their divie.At this stage I think it will be TRA.Their buyback will improve all their financial ratios.

So the poll is running 2:1 that the bear's coming here and will do some pretty serious clawing.
    Nobody has really opinioned on how long they expect the big bad bear to stay ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 05-01-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine