sharetrader

Threaded View

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    SNOOPY: I see you're a big fan of fast food, particularly fast food in China.

Can I ask your thoughts on BABA and it's future outlook (after Jack Ma no longer the CEO) ?
    SBQ, I don't follow Alibaba closely, but these guys obviously do:

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/a...thout-jack-ma/

Operationally, I don't see any problems in the medium term. Jack Ma will have stepped away from that part of Alibaba long ago. But as a charismatic figure head, Jack will be impossible to replace. So investors might not be prepared to pay such a high multiple for the company once the media fronting founder goes. Thus I see the 'investment risk' for shareholders as higher than the 'business operational risk'.

There are 'investors' (that I would call mathematically challenged gamblers) who are prepared to pay any market price to get on the share register of a globally big name company. At some point they will pay too much. But what point is that? This is a difficult question to answer. So difficult, that I prefer to leave those kinds of investments to others.

As far as doing business in China goes, there are special risks that the article I quote outlines. If we look at YumChina, which has a longer track record than Alibaba, their success seems due to their ability to be seen as a Chinese company (the senior executive team is Chinese, they sell franchises to local Chinese) that provide tangible benefits for Chinese workers. Raising the standard of living of the Chinese people is something the Chinese government have been very successful at. And I would say any China based business that produce for all stakeholders benefits in line with the Chinese government's vision will continue to do well.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 13-02-2019 at 09:16 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7