sharetrader
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Missed by that much

Default NZL - NZ Rural Land Co IPO

I have just received an email inviting me to invest in an IPO for NEW ZEALAND Rural Land Co. Looking at how it is structured I don't think I will try for any shares ahead of the IPO, But if shares were available for The Manager I would in straight away.

The Manager is entitled to fees from NZRLC, being (all GST exclusive).
    • a management fee of 0.50% per annum of NZRLC’s Net Asset Value.
    • a performance fee of 10% of any increase in NZRLC’s Net Asset Value per Share from one financial year to the next.
    • a transaction fee of 1.25% of the acquisition or divestment value of any rural land that NZRLC acquires or disposes of.
    • a lease fee of $30,000 for each lease entered into by NZRLC.

https://www.directbroking.co.nz/Dire...12bf3c6b00f86e

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Jantar View Post
    I have just received an email inviting me to invest in an IPO for NEW ZEALAND Rural Land Co. Looking at how it is structured I don't think I will try for any shares ahead of the IPO, But if shares were available for The Manager I would in straight away.

The Manager is entitled to fees from NZRLC, being (all GST exclusive).
    • a management fee of 0.50% per annum of NZRLC’s Net Asset Value.
    • a performance fee of 10% of any increase in NZRLC’s Net Asset Value per Share from one financial year to the next.
    • a transaction fee of 1.25% of the acquisition or divestment value of any rural land that NZRLC acquires or disposes of.
    • a lease fee of $30,000 for each lease entered into by NZRLC.

https://www.directbroking.co.nz/Dire...12bf3c6b00f86e
    Buy 'Allied Farmers' then. Don't they have the management contract?

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

There should be a performance fee hurdle. 10% performance fee should only apply if the NTA increases more than the dairy farm index, in my opinion.
    Getting a performance fee without reference to an appropriate measurement base (that attempts to measure the degree to which the fund has truly outperformed), seems most unreasonable to me.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Allied farmers (ALF) are planning to acquire 50% of the management company with an option to buy the rest at a later date. The shareholders are voting on this today.

Not a pure play on the management company but it could become a significant part of their business.

I hold ALF, not sure about NZRLC yet.

Advanced Member

Just received an email too. Is this going to be listed on the main board?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mfd View Post
    Allied farmers (ALF) are planning to acquire 50% of the management company with an option to buy the rest at a later date. The shareholders are voting on this today.

Not a pure play on the management company but it could become a significant part of their business.

I hold ALF, not sure about NZRLC yet.

It wouldnt be difficult looking at reduced Veal result & drought effects

That alone suggests it may put the Jan 2021 Div very much in question
    and moreso, given even more shares on issue

I'm out of ALF on the recent up trend & staying away from NZRL, watching both as a spectator going ahead

Far more enticing prospects elsewhere

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by nztx View Post
    It wouldnt be difficult looking at reduced Veal result & drought effects

That alone suggests it may put the Jan 2021 Div very much in question
    and moreso, given even more shares on issue

I'm out of ALF on the recent up trend & staying away from NZRL, watching both as a spectator going ahead

Far more enticing prospects elsewhere

I now see ALF Dividend has been chopped down to 1.2c from 2.0 cps (fully imputed) last year -

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/article/9...ouncement.html

From Richard Perry's Annual Meeting speech:

"I'm delighted to announce a dividend to holders of our existing shares of 1.2 cents per share (fully imputed). This dividend will not be available to any participants in the placements (including the vendors of the Management Company) or participants in our rights issue. To achieve this in the current financial year is a pleasing accomplishment, but you will note that it is lower this year to reflect the lower profit. As has been the case for the last few years, the dividend will be paid in January 2021."

DFABPCLMB

Default NZ Rural Land Co Financial Forecast

Sorry for the long post but I am doing the work the Directors should have done in presenting a financial forecast. TLDR : don't invest.

You may ask why the rush with this listing? IMO NZRLC is using the Government guaranteed COVID loan, likely through BNZ. I believe the Govt guarantees up to 80% of loans issued prior to 31 December 2020 on the proviso it is for new business or new capex etc. Hence the rush. I have seen this scheme being offered to another client by the BNZ.

How disappointing to see yet another prospectus with no forecast financial information. RUA also comes to mind. Surely they have done their own forecasts, so why can't they share that? In the absence of a formal forecast, here is mine.

What we know about the issue (everything in 000s unless millions stated):

Shares in existence now = 160k, issued for $200k
    IP transfer 100k shares, $125k value
    ALF loan assumed to convert to equity 300k shares, $375k value
    Offer of 60m shares for $75m
    Offer expenses $3m
    Directors issued shares in lieu of payment for services 60k shares, $75k value
    Debt raised $30.86m

So the financial position after the capital raise (assuming the debt facility is fully drawn down, which it must be under the Govt scheme) will be:

Cash $103,435k
    Intangible Assets $125k
    Term Loans -$30,860k
    Nett Equity = $72,700

Which is made up of:
    Issued Capital $75,775k
    Reserves -$3,000k (issue expenses)
    Retained Losses -$75k

Shares on Issue = 60.62m
    NAV per share $1.20

Note that the NAV has already fallen from the issue price of $1.25 which raises the question of when ALF will convert their loan to equity. I can't answer that but if I were ALF I would wait until it were more advantageous to convert the loan to equity.

NZRLC have stated they are interested in dairy farms and can see 19 opportunities with 9,239 hectares. I don't know the average cost of a dairy farm but eye-balling the graph they provided suggests $30,000 per hectare is within the ballpark. So they are looking at opportunities with a value of circa $277m. That is some distance North of their minimum prospectus cash of $103m above. Some might say that is a touch optimistic.

Anyhoo, they are aiming for a 4.5% gross rental. Assuming they put circa $100m to work in acquisitions and retain $3m (for management and directors fees & capex), then they can afford to buy about 7 farms given the average price will be somewhere around $14.5m (based on their numbers). A 4.5% gross rental on $100m is $4.5m turnover per annum (7.4c per share). Given they have already identified 19 opportunities, I suspect this won't be the only capital raise.

Buying the 7 farms for around $100m will cost NZRLC an extra $1.4m in Management fees. The 1.25% transaction fee might be able to be capitalised. It will take time to get acquisitions and leases sorted, and provided they are in place by 1 April, then I'm forecasting a very small loss for FY21 of around $230k. That is after the Management Co have taken their 0.5% NAV fee of around $210k for 7 months. NAV per share end of FY21 will be around $1.20.

Year 2 is more interesting. Long story short, 7 farms leased $4.5m revenue, NPAT of around $1m after NAV fees and NAV increase fees combined of ~$870k assuming a 3% asset revaluation. After tax EPS of 1.5c per share excluding revaluations. It's no wonder they think this should be valued on a NAV basis which will be $1.26 per share (and an eye watering P/E ratio of 82). Other assumptions include 1% capex, 1% depreciation, 3% revaluation, 3% interest, directors fees & expenses $186k, other expenses $150k.

Cash generated will be $1.6m before repayments on the debt, and the NAV 0.5% fee is paid in cash. The NAV increase fee is paid in shares which means offer shareholders will be slowly diluted by the Management Co. At some point the BNZ will likely want some money back so the dividends will be capped by covenants, imputation credits and free cash flow arising after debt repayments.

I can't be bothered working our their weird measure of "AFFO". We can look at cash & profit instead plus their policy is to be Listed PIE so they require full imputation credits and RWT on dividends. Taking 80% of the pre-tax profit of $1.3m implies a maximum potential dividend of ($1.3m x 80% / 61m shares) 1.7c per share. Based on a NAV of $1.26, this gives a maximum yield of 1.35%. It's no wonder they want this to be valued on a NAV basis.

Take from this what you will but it appears the Management Co does very well out of this at the expense of shareholders. As other have said, better to invest in the Management Co with such easy fees, but I believe it is unlikely ALF will be able to acquire the other 50% of rights without paying through the nose. Now that I have gone through the process, the cynical side of me thinks the Directors know these numbers and didn't want to disclose such a miserly return to shareholders. But it is worth asking for whom do the Directors of NZRLC work?

Like RUA, I wouldn't touch this given there are better opportunities elsewhere.

I think I will stop there.
    Last edited by Ferg; 07-12-2020 at 10:43 AM. Reason: typos & correction to EPS

Guru

Thanks Ferg for all that good work
    There has been a lot of these type of investments over the years and the most pertinent Q is as you say is
    Who benefits?
    and who is going to lease these properties ?
    The $30m debt is also a major concern if not all paid back.
    When/if interest rates go up the interest cover will be all eaten up by the term loan
    My view is that investing in rural land is best used as a storage of wealth not a maker of wealth but that this vehicle is not suitable for this purpose given its debt and sensitivity to interest rates.
    Last edited by kiora; 06-12-2020 at 01:25 AM.

Legend

Thanks - Ferg, a good summary there..

Lets add in a new variant - farms revalued annually & resulting contrived revaluation surplus or loss taken into P&L directly.

The Retirement Homes sector already does this - so why not NZRL as well .. nothing like a bit of window dressing
    & polishing the EOY results to bury the obvious

Who pays the rates & other farm owner outgoings ? Capital expenditure ? Farm Development costs ?
    R&M ? Water & other humungous fees (as can be attributed usually to the current Red/Green
    clowns in session)

Are the eager bunch of Farm leasees going to be hit over the head with a long batton for these as well ?

Perhaps some of us on here should assemble our own bundle of 'profitable dreamed up yet to fly schemes'
    and fire them at ALF in return for a large slab of the equity / action & seats around the ALF Boardroom Table

That seems fairly roughly to be what's happened, doesn't it ?
    Last edited by nztx; 06-12-2020 at 05:48 AM. Reason: add more