sharetrader
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 73
  1. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I really appreciate the detailed response to Beagles excellent hypothetical question.
    I'm 66,house and no debt, a reasonable amount of savings, still enjoy working,I have one very high risk investment,plus a small
    passive income. I am going through this exercise at present.....for me deciding on the Portfolio Strategy is the hard part.
    At present I'm out of the market and sitting on TD's

  2. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    56

    Default

    I hold bonds in IFT, KCFHA, MCY and ZEL. I also hold shares in AIR,CEN,GNE,IFT,KPG,NZR and ZEL. Also hold about $40K cash
    It's taken me a while to get this mix and maybe I should have MEL instead of GNE and perhaps some HGH. We're in our early to mid 70's and overall I'd say it's pretty defensive and seems to suit our needs. I sometimes wonder if I should cash out some share growth but knowing it's there is a sort of insurance if needed.
    A quote attributed to Margaret Thatcher goes along the lines of
    "The problem with socialism is that eventually you run out of other people's money."

  3. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Investing in USA is dangerous should you die.A NZder trying to get shares out of probate is near impossible,and is the reason I sold US shares a number of years ago.
    My largest undisclosed shareholding is an exporter.
    I have already survived a few earthquakes,and more do not concern me.
    Yes the electricity companies will go gang busters with electric cars..
    Tesla's business model is solar, powerwall, car with no middleman. Not there yet obviously, but it does not take much of an oversupply of electricity and the power companies could be stranded assets. Not a basket I'd have all of my retirements eggs in. Personally I use a variety of fund managers for my overseas exposure. I have a few token ETFs, but have found my active managers worth the money. It would be worth talking with a few independent AFAs (authorised financial advisers) about their ideas.

  4. #19
    percy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    12,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Tesla's business model is solar, powerwall, car with no middleman. Not there yet obviously, but it does not take much of an oversupply of electricity and the power companies could be stranded assets. Not a basket I'd have all of my retirements eggs in. Personally I use a variety of fund managers for my overseas exposure. I have a few token ETFs, but have found my active managers worth the money. It would be worth talking with a few independent AFAs (authorised financial advisers) about their ideas.
    I have never used a fund manager.Never will.

    ps.I am a very successful investor.
    Last edited by percy; 09-01-2019 at 05:20 PM.

  5. #20
    Gnawing on Bones Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    12,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waiuta View Post
    I hold bonds in IFT, KCFHA, MCY and ZEL. I also hold shares in AIR,CEN,GNE,IFT,KPG,NZR and ZEL. Also hold about $40K cash
    It's taken me a while to get this mix and maybe I should have MEL instead of GNE and perhaps some HGH. We're in our early to mid 70's and overall I'd say it's pretty defensive and seems to suit our needs. I sometimes wonder if I should cash out some share growth but knowing it's there is a sort of insurance if needed.
    Looks pretty good to me.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

  6. #21
    percy
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    12,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waiuta View Post
    I hold bonds in IFT, KCFHA, MCY and ZEL. I also hold shares in AIR,CEN,GNE,IFT,KPG,NZR and ZEL. Also hold about $40K cash
    It's taken me a while to get this mix and maybe I should have MEL instead of GNE and perhaps some HGH. We're in our early to mid 70's and overall I'd say it's pretty defensive and seems to suit our needs. I sometimes wonder if I should cash out some share growth but knowing it's there is a sort of insurance if needed.
    I brought GNE and MEL at issue.MEL is our power supplier.Perhaps MCY is the best generator to hold ,as their generation is closest to their customer base.?I would not recommend one generator over another.
    Sit on what you have,it looks a pretty good portfolio to me too.

  7. #22
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    , , New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waiuta View Post
    I hold bonds in IFT, KCFHA, MCY and ZEL. I also hold shares in AIR,CEN,GNE,IFT,KPG,NZR and ZEL. Also hold about $40K cash
    It's taken me a while to get this mix and maybe I should have MEL instead of GNE and perhaps some HGH. We're in our early to mid 70's and overall I'd say it's pretty defensive and seems to suit our needs. I sometimes wonder if I should cash out some share growth but knowing it's there is a sort of insurance if needed.
    Well I beg to differ with the other Beagle and the one who holds the 'perce' strings. Nothing wrong with any of those investments on their own, I agree. But as a portfolio it looks very strongly correlated, perhaps unhealthily so, to the energy sector. CEN, GNE and IFT (through Trustpower) are all Gentailers. ZEL owns a stake in NZR. AIR and ZEL both suffer when fuel prices are high. Petrol price goes up and the retail malls are hit through drying up of spare cash (affects KPG). If you have retired, it looks a bit risky to hold such a combination. I would suggest diversification into other sectors less susceptible to the pitch fork of the dancing energy demon.

    SNOOPY
    Management top tip: Share the responsibility. Change your name by deed-poll to "Someone Else"

  8. #23
    Guru peat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Whanganui, New Zealand.
    Posts
    4,377

    Default

    Conservatively it should have these components as a basis set to appropriate percentages e.g. cash <5%; NZ Fixed Int 30% Int'l Fixed Interest 12% etc etc.
    Even with a 500K portfolio those divisions means mostly using funds so as to gain company diversification within each sector. It is usually accepted as practical to have a large element of fixed interest in NZ despite it not being quite correct.

    Cash
    NZ Fixed Interest
    International Fixed Interest
    Property
    NZ and Australian Equities
    International Equities - Core
    International Smaller Companies
    Emerging Markets
    Specialty
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

  9. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Can we assume Govt Super is worth $617 a week in the hand and house is mortgage free.

    What is the couples budgeted / hoped for expenditure a week. How is their health?

    What is value of house - as I would also look at a REL.
    Thanks so much for this feedback guys as I am stumped regards knowing what to do. At this point all I can conclude is knowledge is good. The more information I have available the better equiped I should be to make an informed decision.
    As for our situation, we have always lived within our modest means so I see no major change there going forward. We would however like the 500k to enhance our modest lifestyle as we move forward.
    Our health is good, I prefer to invest in good fitness and diet rather than health insurance.
    Yes, once wife retires we will recieve $617 pw. For now im still working (modest income low stress employment ) but, only becuse I want to. If i wake up tomorrow and decide to persue other interests I will !
    House is mortgage free.

  10. #25
    Handsome Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    622

    Default

    I am a few decades away from 65 but basically what I have setup for the Mrs. will be my retirement portfolio if mortgage free and a paid off boat to head off for catch every chance I get

    In equal shares:

    NZX50 Fund (FNZ)
    MEL
    CEN
    SPK
    AIA

  11. #26
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ynot View Post
    Thanks so much for this feedback guys as I am stumped regards knowing what to do. At this point all I can conclude is knowledge is good. The more information I have available the better equiped I should be to make an informed decision.
    As for our situation, we have always lived within our modest means so I see no major change there going forward. We would however like the 500k to enhance our modest lifestyle as we move forward.
    Our health is good, I prefer to invest in good fitness and diet rather than health insurance.
    Yes, once wife retires we will recieve $617 pw. For now im still working (modest income low stress employment ) but, only becuse I want to. If i wake up tomorrow and decide to persue other interests I will !
    House is mortgage free.
    The fact you were able to be a home owner (and then trade down to provide retirement capital) does show how NZ traditional home ownership has been the bedrock of NZ retirement planning.

    As home ownership declines (and is not necessarily the best choice for all people anyway) and fewer families can afford to be owners, a retirement savings plan needs to be established which incurs the same level of tax obligations as home ownership for the same level of gains. KiwiSaver as a savings plan is just a very small step in that direction.
    Last edited by Bjauck; 10-01-2019 at 07:59 AM.

  12. #27
    Aspiring to be an Awesome Bear
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Dunners
    Posts
    781

    Default

    I am noticing that most of you only hold a few stock. As in 5 or 6. Hmmm I hold quite a few, as in 18. I thought I was being defensive by doing this but maybe I am over diversified? How many stocks do people think is a good number to have?

  13. #28
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    5,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RupertBear View Post
    I am noticing that most of you only hold a few stock. As in 5 or 6. Hmmm I hold quite a few, as in 18. I thought I was being defensive by doing this but maybe I am over diversified? How many stocks do people think is a good number to have?
    I have 8 in my "set and forget " portfolio (I Haven't touched this for years and it keeps on ticking over nicely)
    I also have 8 in my "aggressive" (this gets reviewed regularly with stocks go in and out depending how they are performing). I'm looking at adding 2 more - maybe

  14. #29
    Guru
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Auckland, , New Zealand.
    Posts
    2,511

    Default

    I have 30.

  15. #30
    Gnawing on Bones Beagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    12,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Conservatively it should have these components as a basis set to appropriate percentages e.g. cash <5%; NZ Fixed Int 30% Int'l Fixed Interest 12% etc etc.
    Even with a 500K portfolio those divisions means mostly using funds so as to gain company diversification within each sector. It is usually accepted as practical to have a large element of fixed interest in NZ despite it not being quite correct.

    Cash
    NZ Fixed Interest
    International Fixed Interest
    Property
    NZ and Australian Equities
    International Equities - Core
    International Smaller Companies
    Emerging Markets
    Specialty
    Thanks but that's straight out of the authorized financial advisor standard rulebook. What ynot needs is specific advice. For example if one were to have some of their funds in emerging markets which fund would you recommend ? How does he buy them e.t.c.
    I would go with TEM in that sector which is easy and cost effective to buy on the NZX but I would only recommend a maximum of 5% in that area. (Almost zero yield for one thing, same for international fixed interest) (Disclaimer - Not that I am an AFA or specifically recommending anything)
    Last edited by Beagle; 10-01-2019 at 10:09 AM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •