sharetrader

Hybrid View

Banned

Default Renovation advice

We are in the process of partially renovating an investment property before selling it.

The property has a very dated carport that we are in two minds about pulling down and replacing, pulling down and not replacing or just leaving it as is.

We are replacing the driveway (family are doing this very cheaply) and putting in a new deck (family again), the carport, as it is will look out of place however I don't know if we would get our money back on it.

Appreciate any feedback.

IMO

Have a throw up projectile vomit party with drone vomits to fill in the corners, make sure plenty of diced carrots and harvey wall bangers are available in jugs, you cant lose. Replace the carpet and carport after using insurance payouts. dead easy and a no brainer. Alternately gift this house to folks who can NEVER buy a house and head off to An Indian ashram and meditate for 10 years about materialism and greed and decay, then review whats really important in life (only 1) ; Impermanence, the fleeting , transitory time we have here on earth and leaving it a better place for those that follow.
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 26-01-2019 at 11:42 AM.

Guru

You are getting worse JT.

IMO

Yass ,music to my ears TGIF.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by Paddles View Post
    We are in the process of partially renovating an investment property before selling it.

The property has a very dated carport that we are in two minds about pulling down and replacing, pulling down and not replacing or just leaving it as is.

We are replacing the driveway (family are doing this very cheaply) and putting in a new deck (family again), the carport, as it is will look out of place however I don't know if we would get our money back on it.

Appreciate any feedback.
    I would be tempted to pull it down and not replace it.Out of sight,out of mind.
    However, I would get advice first, from the agent in your area who sells the most properties.
    Then either list it with that agent,or try to sell it on your own.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Paddles View Post

Appreciate any feedback.
    What is the cost to replace it? What shed(s) are there? Maybe get a quote to put a garage there and provide quote to agent. Garage good for workshop or storage. Carport useless. Depending on what can be done it may be best to leave it for new owners to do what suits them - something you can never know.
    And whatever you do if it only adds $1 for every $1 you spend it's a waste of time. Clean and tidy - do everything you can with little or no expense is often the best way.

First impressions count. It sounds like you are worried it is the weak link in the overall presentation? It also sounds like the embedded value is very small? Pull it down, make sure the area is well presented (e.g. so it can be seen as a nice tidy parking spot and potential site for a new covered area), and be happy.

You know more about the specifics than us though - run with your instincts.
    Last edited by cyclist; 26-01-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Advanced Member

Lick of paint to blend it in to the background?

How bad is it? Post some pictures of it so we can judge. Otherwise filler then sand and paint.

Garage is a huge selling point for me personally and the house we bought has a double garage. The garage itself was a single carport which was then closed in, another carport added to the side which was also then closed in, and then the wall between removed to open into a double garage. But it's been clad to look nice from the outside.
    If a quick reclad or coat of paint is achievable then that might be a better option than rebuilding it which will likely never make that money back.
    As above, photos will help.