sharetrader

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by MuffinPop View Post
    Hi there,
    this is my 1st post, "hello" to all.. I'm hoping to get a bit of advice or at least info in terms of general direction. I have opened an A/C with ANZ securities (now Direct Broking - FNZC) - I am interested in ETF's and putting some savings into some funds etc. I have looked at BETA ETF's on the ASX which I found quite helpful - can anyone tell me if I invest in any of these ETF's on the ASX will I be disadvantaged tax wise or is this minimal to the point that no need to worry? Or do I just go for the NZX listed types. Be glad to hear comments - or any thoughts yea, nay or otherwise! Thanks heaps!!
    Look up FIF rules for investing into ASX listed index funds. If you own over $50k, tax can get complicated.

I've found it best to just stick to index funds through NZ companies, Superlife, Smartshares, Investnow, Sharsies & Simplicity are all good options. Plus no brokerage if you go through this route.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by epower View Post
    Look up FIF rules for investing into ASX listed index funds. If you own over $50k, tax can get complicated.

I've found it best to just stick to index funds through NZ companies, Superlife, Smartshares, Investnow, Sharsies & Simplicity are all good options. Plus no brokerage if you go through this route.
    Welcome to the forum MuffinPop. I would agree with epower if you want to invest fairly small and regular amounts for the long term. I'd simply be putting it into Smartshares USF (US 500 fund) or something similar. Cheap and worry free. We are in strange times right now so I have myself started putting a small amount every month into the USF with a long term horizon in mind. DYOR.
    Last edited by iceman; 27-02-2019 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Addition

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Welcome to the forum MuffinPop. I would agree with epower if you want to invest fairly small and regular amounts for the long term. I'd simply be putting it into Smartshares USF (US 500 fund) or something similar. Cheap and worry free. We are in strange times right now so I have myself started putting a small amount every month into the USF with a long term horizon in mind. DYOR.
    With the news of CGT looming about, it wouldn't matter where you put your $ in NZX or ASX, they're all going to be subjected to CGT. The days that certain 'potentially tax free' asset groups like real estate are numbered.