sharetrader
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Doggedly sniffing out more food Beagle's Avatar

peat those Ford Rangers are about $70K and they're selling them by the boatload. I think this speaks volumes for Kiwi's looking for a lot of versatility in their vehicles, go almost anywhere, tow almost anything but I think these high centre of gravity vehicles are a pig to drive in terms of their ride comfort and handling.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    peat those Ford Rangers are about $70K and they're selling them by the boatload. I think this speaks volumes for Kiwi's looking for a lot of versatility in their vehicles, go almost anywhere, tow almost anything but I think these high centre of gravity vehicles are a pig to drive in terms of their ride comfort and handling.
    Extremely low roof line too - even the Explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Entrep View Post
    Extremely low roof line too - even the Explorer.
    I think a lot of people buy them thinking they'll use their off road capabilities and never do.

https://www.driven.co.nz/reviews/pre...and-sportback/

Looks like it capable of swallowing a whole school of fish in just one gulp lol

I heard that the sound on all RS is going to be very muted going forward due to EU regs? If so, what's the point of getting one!?

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Anyone following the Dakar?

I want one of those Kamaz:
    om mani peme hum

Guru

I heard that the sound on all RS is going to be very muted going forward ………..
    Then go backwards.

I heard that the sound on all RS is going to be very muted going forward due to EU regs? If so, what's the point of getting one!?
    They're a highly capable bit of kit with excellent performance, handling, brakes, technology and don't look half bad either apart from this new "guppy" front end.

As I see it though, suppose in theory someone had enjoyed a fabulous year in the market in 2019 and was thinking about splashing say $150K on some fancy new wheels.

You could hardly pick a worse time. If you ante-up and choose a fancy new ICE powered vehicle you'll likely face even more savage depreciation than normal as the EV "revolution", (if you can call it that), begins to hit top gear. If you embrace this revolution now and invest in a fancy new EV ride, like a Jaguar I Pace or similar you'll likely face, you guessed it, even more savage depreciation as newer technology EV's get released with more range and performance.

Now granted, and I have some form in this area, it isn't that many years before one's $150,000 vehicle loses the 1 in front to be only worth $50,000 but my contention is no matter which technology one currently embraces its likely to happen quicker than ever before. Is this likely to be seriously irksome ?, I think so.
    In my experience in the past a high end new European car will approximately halve in value every three years. e.g. a $150,000 vehicle will be worth approx. $75,000 in 3 years and will halve from that $75,000 to be worth just ~ $38,000 in 6 years. Tough to live with an accept unless you REALLY get a LOT of pleasure out of the vehicle or simply don't care about depreciation one iota. But what if the $150,000 vehicle due to the current "technology changeover situation" dropped to $38,000 in just 4 years ? How would you feel then about tearing up $112,000 in just 4 years or $28,000 per year ? Is it worth that ?

Now some might say, hey, you only live once and if you're a car guy who cares...I am not so sure...there's some pretty good cars out there for $50K, (I have one), and $112,000 is a fair bit of money to tear up in just a few years. Is it worth it ?...(that's the $64,000 errr, actually $112,000 question),...possibly if you've never had a high end car before..but in my experience while they're very nice, they're not a life changing experience per se and I think it makes more sense in the present environment to keep your powder dry and wait for an EV that really floats your boat and then pull the trigger.

If ones waits for their dream EV and spends say $150,000 on it and keeps it say 10 years looking after the battery properly, and its worth say just 10% residual at the end of that you've lost $135,000 in 10 years or "just" $13,500 per annum, less than half the annual depreciation cost noted in the theoretical example above.

What I think is crystal clear is owning a high end car is a very expensive exercise no matter what route you take. Okay yes, with the odd exception if you have the skills to pick the right classic car and put some time and effort into restoring it and love the process, and it goes up in value, maybe your hobby is a pretty good one but not everyone has the skills by any means and the number of people I know who've paid mega bucks to restoration companies to restore their pride and joy and who are currently sitting on massive losses compared to what's been invested, suggests to me only a very few make money from their classic car of choice.
    Last edited by Beagle; 16-01-2020 at 09:19 AM.

Great post Beagle and those depreciation rates are exactly in line with that I have experienced too. I have one of the last ML63s made before they changed the naming.

For me the benefit of a new high end Euro car would be peace of mind with the warranty but with MB its only 3 years anyway, not sure what Audi is. BMW is 5 years now I believe. So I just make sure I have an Autosure warranty and buy second hand with a lot of depreciation having already occurred.

An RS6 is on my list to check out when it comes time to swap my current car - have driven before and it was very fun. Also a Jag F-Pace SUV.

BMW 5 years and 100,000 km's and Audi are now also out to 5 years and 150,000 km's. Jaguar and Mercedes-Benz are notable for sticking with 3 years.
    https://www.audi.co.nz/dam/nemo/nz/M...Dec%202019.pdf
    Those ML63's go very well don't they
    I am tempted to buy a demo 2019 BMW M5 for about $140K, RRP was $200K but I think I will keep my powder dry for the reasons mentioned above.
    New Jaguar I Pace also looks good but it'll be like yesterday newspaper in no time at all, such is the pace of EV advancement at present.

Mazda3Care
    The warranty is 5 years for

• free service (100km limit) ,
    • vehicle warranty (unlimited km - but only covers Major Component and Safety System and Corrosion and Anti-Perforation Warranty for 4th and 5th years)
    • on call road assistance

No costs in the first five years ( apart from consumables)
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

BMW 5 years and 100,000 km's and Audi are now also out to 5 years and 150,000 km's. Jaguar and Mercedes-Benz are notable for sticking with 3 years.
    https://www.audi.co.nz/dam/nemo/nz/M...Dec%202019.pdf
    Those ML63's go very well don't they
    I am tempted to buy a demo 2019 BMW M5 for about $140K, RRP was $200K but I think I will keep my powder dry for the reasons mentioned above.
    New Jaguar I Pace also looks good but it'll be like yesterday newspaper in no time at all, such is the pace of EV advancement at present.
    I am a bit of a car nut but don't really get the attraction in these high value late model toys, I just couldn't stomach the depreciation. My strategy is a modern but more modest daily option and then to spend the left over on what I think are more interesting options as weekend toys whose depreciation is less though maintenance costs might cancel that out!

It all depends on the size of your weekend toy

It all depends on the size of your weekend toy
    Does it? It isn't all about size. I would bet that at legal speeds this would keep up with any $150k toy - https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...1cf5a9ab77-002

And if you don't have a handbrake with you this would get interesting - https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...1cf5a9ab77-002

Just as examples....

You make a good point that (notwithstanding the widespread proliferation of revenue gathering speed camera's), a sweet handling car is kind of the last bastion of goodness they can't take away from you, (assuming you can find some back country twisty roads that aren't clogged up with traffic).

You make a good point that (notwithstanding the widespread proliferation of revenue gathering speed camera's), a sweet handling car is kind of the last bastion of goodness they can't take away from you, (assuming you can find some back country twisty roads that aren't clogged up with traffic).
    Well luckily we don't all live in the top half of the North Island. Plenty of empty roads around me though not all as twisty as I would like.

If I was willing to put myself back on a motorbike for weekends I could probably make do with a modest daily

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jmsnz View Post
    I am a bit of a car nut but don't really get the attraction in these high value late model toys, I just couldn't stomach the depreciation. My strategy is a modern but more modest daily option and then to spend the left over on what I think are more interesting options as weekend toys whose depreciation is less though maintenance costs might cancel that out!
    1% of your personal net worth should get anyone a good vehicle. If that's not enough not - forget about owning one.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    1% of your personal net worth should get anyone a good vehicle. If that's not enough not - forget about owning one.
    I'd wager plenty of motoring enthusiasts would see it very, very differently.

Guru

I'd wager plenty of motoring enthusiasts would see it very, very differently.
    I'm sure you're right. No accounting for stupidity.