sharetrader
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Dave Ramsay (US Commentator) has some similar comments on new motor vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/motoring/104...ursue#comments

Interesting article and some interesting comments in the comments section below.
    haha very interesting and true
    and doesn't even make me feel bad. Over my lifetime I have spent bugger all on vehicles, so I definitely don't regret my recent splurge.
    I've only ever had Jap crap (its good huh!) eg a 10 year old Mitsi Lancer, then after that for 10 years I had a $5k Suzuki motorbike. But did buy a brand new Mazda2 8 years ago and a spunky Mazda3 now.

Cars are totally the worst investment and I've lived that mantra but now is time for a little bit of fun. The 3 isn't even that excessive at less than 40k.
    I tell you what there are a heap of flash new cars in Whanganui, all the trimmings , and aa huge number of fancy looking double cabs as well. How much these are
    a utility and how much a status symbol is hard to gauge.
    I gotta say Mike Hosking is very right - people love their cars and wont give them up if they don't have to.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    haha very interesting and true
    and doesn't even make me feel bad. Over my lifetime I have spent bugger all on vehicles, so I definitely don't regret my recent splurge.
    I've only ever had Jap crap (its good huh!) eg a 10 year old Mitsi Lancer, then after that for 10 years I had a $5k Suzuki motorbike. But did buy a brand new Mazda2 8 years ago and a spunky Mazda3 now.

Cars are totally the worst investment and I've lived that mantra but now is time for a little bit of fun. The 3 isn't even that excessive at less than 40k.
    I tell you what there are a heap of flash new cars in Whanganui, all the trimmings , and aa huge number of fancy looking double cabs as well. How much these are
    a utility and how much a status symbol is hard to gauge.
    I gotta say Mike Hosking is very right - people love their cars and wont give them up if they don't have to.
    Oddly enough, my single best investment HAS been in a car - probably 500% in 12 years, although I don't think I could ever bring myself to sell it to realise the gain.
    Last edited by JeffW; 14-01-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Last year the transmission in my wife's 2012 Holden Captiva completely shat itself. Only 50K kms and all servicing etc!!! Not an uncommon problem by the looks.

Somewhere around $6K later (some other things were broken too apparently) and I sold it for slightly more. I wouldn't trust the same transmission - ticking time bomb clearly.

Never touching Holden again. Now have a new Kia Sportage with a fresh 5 year warranty. Great car.
    Last edited by Entrep; 14-01-2020 at 12:54 PM.

The purchase and sale price is largely irrelevant on any car I've bought (although I did somehow manage to make $1000 on a civic after using it for a year). Cars for me are either for fun or to suit a purpose, I don't look at them as a necessity or burden.

Our current fleet of 2 Hondas;
    Mine is a car that is primarily for fun. Rarely gets driven for daily duties but every time I do drive it I remember why I love petrol.
    My wifes is the larger practical car. Mostly as a run around, but also gets fully loaded to the brim to go camping.

The 'return' of neither the fun nor practicality could be replaced by any other 'investment' so therein lies the value of the cars.

I've always done my own work on the cars but I do love the idea of buying new and not having to worry about maintenance and repairs. Currently looking at replacing one of our cars with something brand new. Depreciation over 3 years will be more than either of our current cars is worth, but again, that doesn't overly worry me as I look at the value in what I get out of the car, not just the $$$$.

peat those Ford Rangers are about $70K and they're selling them by the boatload. I think this speaks volumes for Kiwi's looking for a lot of versatility in their vehicles, go almost anywhere, tow almost anything but I think these high centre of gravity vehicles are a pig to drive in terms of their ride comfort and handling.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    peat those Ford Rangers are about $70K and they're selling them by the boatload. I think this speaks volumes for Kiwi's looking for a lot of versatility in their vehicles, go almost anywhere, tow almost anything but I think these high centre of gravity vehicles are a pig to drive in terms of their ride comfort and handling.
    Extremely low roof line too - even the Explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Entrep View Post
    Extremely low roof line too - even the Explorer.
    I think a lot of people buy them thinking they'll use their off road capabilities and never do.

https://www.driven.co.nz/reviews/pre...and-sportback/

Looks like it capable of swallowing a whole school of fish in just one gulp lol

I heard that the sound on all RS is going to be very muted going forward due to EU regs? If so, what's the point of getting one!?

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Anyone following the Dakar?

I want one of those Kamaz:
    om mani peme hum

Guru

I heard that the sound on all RS is going to be very muted going forward ………..
    Then go backwards.

I heard that the sound on all RS is going to be very muted going forward due to EU regs? If so, what's the point of getting one!?
    They're a highly capable bit of kit with excellent performance, handling, brakes, technology and don't look half bad either apart from this new "guppy" front end.

As I see it though, suppose in theory someone had enjoyed a fabulous year in the market in 2019 and was thinking about splashing say $150K on some fancy new wheels.

You could hardly pick a worse time. If you ante-up and choose a fancy new ICE powered vehicle you'll likely face even more savage depreciation than normal as the EV "revolution", (if you can call it that), begins to hit top gear. If you embrace this revolution now and invest in a fancy new EV ride, like a Jaguar I Pace or similar you'll likely face, you guessed it, even more savage depreciation as newer technology EV's get released with more range and performance.

Now granted, and I have some form in this area, it isn't that many years before one's $150,000 vehicle loses the 1 in front to be only worth $50,000 but my contention is no matter which technology one currently embraces its likely to happen quicker than ever before. Is this likely to be seriously irksome ?, I think so.
    In my experience in the past a high end new European car will approximately halve in value every three years. e.g. a $150,000 vehicle will be worth approx. $75,000 in 3 years and will halve from that $75,000 to be worth just ~ $38,000 in 6 years. Tough to live with an accept unless you REALLY get a LOT of pleasure out of the vehicle or simply don't care about depreciation one iota. But what if the $150,000 vehicle due to the current "technology changeover situation" dropped to $38,000 in just 4 years ? How would you feel then about tearing up $112,000 in just 4 years or $28,000 per year ? Is it worth that ?

Now some might say, hey, you only live once and if you're a car guy who cares...I am not so sure...there's some pretty good cars out there for $50K, (I have one), and $112,000 is a fair bit of money to tear up in just a few years. Is it worth it ?...(that's the $64,000 errr, actually $112,000 question),...possibly if you've never had a high end car before..but in my experience while they're very nice, they're not a life changing experience per se and I think it makes more sense in the present environment to keep your powder dry and wait for an EV that really floats your boat and then pull the trigger.

If ones waits for their dream EV and spends say $150,000 on it and keeps it say 10 years looking after the battery properly, and its worth say just 10% residual at the end of that you've lost $135,000 in 10 years or "just" $13,500 per annum, less than half the annual depreciation cost noted in the theoretical example above.

What I think is crystal clear is owning a high end car is a very expensive exercise no matter what route you take. Okay yes, with the odd exception if you have the skills to pick the right classic car and put some time and effort into restoring it and love the process, and it goes up in value, maybe your hobby is a pretty good one but not everyone has the skills by any means and the number of people I know who've paid mega bucks to restoration companies to restore their pride and joy and who are currently sitting on massive losses compared to what's been invested, suggests to me only a very few make money from their classic car of choice.
    Last edited by Beagle; 16-01-2020 at 08:19 AM.

Great post Beagle and those depreciation rates are exactly in line with that I have experienced too. I have one of the last ML63s made before they changed the naming.

For me the benefit of a new high end Euro car would be peace of mind with the warranty but with MB its only 3 years anyway, not sure what Audi is. BMW is 5 years now I believe. So I just make sure I have an Autosure warranty and buy second hand with a lot of depreciation having already occurred.

An RS6 is on my list to check out when it comes time to swap my current car - have driven before and it was very fun. Also a Jag F-Pace SUV.

BMW 5 years and 100,000 km's and Audi are now also out to 5 years and 150,000 km's. Jaguar and Mercedes-Benz are notable for sticking with 3 years.
    https://www.audi.co.nz/dam/nemo/nz/M...Dec%202019.pdf
    Those ML63's go very well don't they
    I am tempted to buy a demo 2019 BMW M5 for about $140K, RRP was $200K but I think I will keep my powder dry for the reasons mentioned above.
    New Jaguar I Pace also looks good but it'll be like yesterday newspaper in no time at all, such is the pace of EV advancement at present.