sharetrader
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    The 2005 (Old Box Shape) CRV (NZ NEW) I bought a couple or three years ago, only had 30K on the clock. At the moment its lucky to be doing 10K a year. So decided to keep it....might change the radio so it can have an integrated reversing camera... (anyone done that ? ) Don't want to run over the grandchild. Did manage to back over son's mountain bike a couple of weeks ago. Ouch....luckily wheel didn't hit it.
    Yeah our '07 is at 165k and we only do around 8-10k per year. I really just want to keep it until it dies or starts costing us money but the wife likes shiny new things. It has only depreciated about $1k per year on average in the 6 years we've had it.
    I replaced the factory stereo in ours so we could have Bluetooth music and hands-free calling, but haven't done reversing camera yet.

Guru

The 2005 (Old Box Shape) CRV (NZ NEW) I bought a couple or three years ago, only had 30K on the clock. At the moment its lucky to be doing 10K a year. So decided to keep it....might change the radio so it can have an integrated reversing camera... (anyone done that ? ) Don't want to run over the grandchild. Did manage to back over son's mountain bike a couple of weeks ago. Ouch....luckily wheel didn't hit it.
    Might be tricky to upgrade to the factory one; I presume it's all sort of integrated with a complex computer system. But no problem to add an after market unit with a screen on sun visor or mounted on dash. Tricky bit is the rear camera. Alternatively, get your son an old penny-farthing. Far more noticeable, especially in pink. He'll be ever so grateful.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 18-09-2019 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Might be tricky to upgrade to the factory one; I presume it's all sort of integrated with a complex computer system. But no problem to add an after market unit with a screen on sun visor or mounted on dash. Tricky bit is the rear camera. Alternatively, get your son an old penny-farthing. Far more noticeable, especially in pink. He'll be ever so grateful.
    Nah it's incredibly easy to replace the factory unit, on Hondas at least, because the stereo is only the stereo. Dash fit kit, wiring harness, solder in aerial adaptor (if power is required), can even get an adapter so the steering wheel controls still work (if applicable). Run cables for the rear mounted camera, and the microphone. RCA cable to the 15" subwoofers and you're done.

Quote Originally Posted by tga_trader View Post
    Nah it's incredibly easy to replace the factory unit, on Hondas at least, because the stereo is only the stereo.
    Tell that to my 2005 Honda.. Stereo, A/C, Nav, etc all in the one unit. On the other hand it was a case of mounting the reversing camera and plugging it in and it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond47 View Post
    Tell that to my 2005 Honda.. Stereo, A/C, Nav, etc all in the one unit. On the other hand it was a case of mounting the reversing camera and plugging it in and it worked.
    Yeah you're right I forget about them because I completely avoided those specs. All of my Hondas have either been base / sport spec (ie no nav) or so old they're pre-nav. Makes everything so much easier. If you can find A/C controls from a non-nav model it should still be an easy swap.

In other news, I see the Toyo-baru 86/BRZ is rumored to be in line for a much needed turbo in gen 2. Hopefully it doesn't come at the cost of the manual transmission.

At my auto mechanic's place today doing a WOF on my Mini Moke. He could not stop talking about his disgust with Jacinda Ardern how she's screwing the whole country. He says while the businesses are closing up, he's quite certain more and more will line up on the dole by Xmas. Quite the humourous conversation as I wouldn't think an auto mechanic would have so much to say about the gov't and business.

Anyways going back to factory replacements for radio head units and reversing cams, i'll share my experience. During the late 80s and early 90s I was part of the car audio craze in N. America where fidelity was paramount. Great times at age 16 we worked on cars with my friends that had motorised amp racks, fully sealed perspex sub-woofer boxes, all done to professional competitive standard and not just simply throw in an expensive head unit. Nowadays it's all changed and regardless of brand, they all produce the same products with less detail to anything. Why? Well the newer generation don't care about car audio, maybe in 50 years time they won't be concerned about driving with self driving cars. I guess times have changed.

Few years ago I did a new head unit install in our 2009 Mazda MPV. It came factory with a double din Clarion head unit (all in Japanese language but no reversing camera). Did I go with the Alpine, Kenwood, JVC, etc Japanese brands? Nope. I went with the cheap China brand one and purchased reversing camera & beeping sensor kits off AliExpress. The reason is the cheap China brand was not only cheap, but it was made specific for the Mazda MPV dash. It offered a complete replacement of the factory bezel so you got a much larger displacy screen (you won't get that with other brands as the most they do is fit within the DIN size using an adapter kit). Another thing is the reversing camera is over-rated. What i've found more useful is the separate reversing beeping sensors I installed in the rear bumper. As the closer I reverse towards a solid object, the faster the beep sounds went. Because with a reversing camera, you can't look at 2 places at the same time, but with a beeping sensor, you can listen AND look at other positions around the vehicle.

Go The Warriors "This Year!"

Off to look at a second hand Kia Stinger at the weekend... Baby 2.0 turbo GT line version with all the fruit.. Budget won't stretch to a twin turbo V6 and that will only cost me too much in speeding tickets, and Taxinda gets enough of my money now!
    Absolutely no need to buy it.. Totally illogical... But bugger it!!
    Maybe I'm starting my mid life crisis?? Hehe...

Quote Originally Posted by Benny1 View Post
    Off to look at a second hand Kia Stinger at the weekend... Baby 2.0 turbo GT line version with all the fruit.. Budget won't stretch to a twin turbo V6 and that will only cost me too much in speeding tickets, and Taxinda gets enough of my money now!
    Absolutely no need to buy it.. Totally illogical... But bugger it!!
    Maybe I'm starting my mid life crisis?? Hehe...
    lol Welcome to the club, I think I'm on my fourth mid life crisis now.
    Mate of mine has a metallic blue V6 Stinger and is very happy with it.
    The 2.0 turbo is quite quick, 0-100 in 6.0 seconds, quite a bit lighter so more nimble in the twisty corners and uses a lot less fuel than the V6 so Taxcinda won't be able to bite you as hard.
    I reckon the cheapest one on Trade Me is a HUGE amount of car for the money https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...372cc36379-003
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    The 2.0 turbo is quite quick, 0-100 in 6.0 seconds, quite a bit lighter so more nimble in the twisty corners and uses a lot less fuel than the V6 so Taxcinda won't be able to bite you as hard.
    I reckon the cheapest one on Trade Me is a HUGE amount of car for the money https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...372cc36379-003
    Shhhhh..... Don't tell everyone...
    Going to have a look... Talked to a guy the other day that has exactly the same one... He loves it.. He paid $60k for his!
    This on is an ex Kia Demo... Then got sold to a private owner who then traded it again on a V6 ..
    Needs a new windscreen due to a crack near the RH pillar..its too close to the edge to be repaired.. And another stone chip on the paint work somewhere..
    New windscreen will have to be part of the deal... Anyway.. I will see tomorrow arvo...

Yes I think $60K was retail for the high spec 2.0 turbo Stingers.
    My mate bought his V6 demo one in a very nice metallic blue, done about 2,000 km's for $59K.
    These are a good bit of kit too for the money https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...9865ade97f-002
    or this for $45K which is stupidly good value for what is a very good car (I have a 2019 Calais V just like it in Red) https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...0c35ab9faa-002
    So much to choose from...its like being a kid again in a lolly shop lol
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Nah it's incredibly easy to replace the factory unit, on Hondas at least, because the stereo is only the stereo. Dash fit kit, wiring harness, solder in aerial adaptor (if power is required), can even get an adapter so the steering wheel controls still work (if applicable). Run cables for the rear mounted camera, and the microphone. RCA cable to the 15" subwoofers and you're done.
    Thanks all....where do you live TGA-TRADER ? I'll drop her off on Monday morning !
    My one does not have GPS so a bit simpler I guess.
    Go the AB's.

Thanks all....where do you live TGA-TRADER ? I'll drop her off on Monday morning !
    My one does not have GPS so a bit simpler I guess.
    Go the AB's.
    I'm in Tauranga, but if you're here at new years with the rest of the country you're welcome to bring it by. It is easily diy-able though if you're willing to give it a go.

Do you know what happened to your "original" one Mr beagle.
    Did they replace the engine and resell it as new??

I'm in Tauranga, but if you're here at new years with the rest of the country you're welcome to bring it by. It is easily diy-able though if you're willing to give it a go.
    Thanks, but I’m well past Tauranga at New Years ! More likely Taemaro Bay, Northland. Perfect.
    Although I suspect there might be a house there now.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Even more HUGE amount of car when you get it for $33500!!
    Dealer's boss was pretty pi$$ed ..wouldn't acknowledge us when we went back after we walked out when they wouldn't accept our offer.
    He rang five minutes later and accepted..