sharetrader
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Cars, discussions, drama's and deliberations

Nearly all of us drive them so I thought why not have a thread dedicated to discussing all things cars (other than electric cars which as we all know has its own thread).

My drama, I am awaiting advice from Holden whether they will willingly refund my money nor not.
    Last edited by Beagle; 06-02-2019 at 09:41 AM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Mate of mine just told me this morning that he's bought a Kia Stinger which is arriving next week. Might see if I can shoehorn the fat Beagle backside into the seat and go for a ride.

So what about considering a Honda ? My two Euros drove beautifully. My first one was manual....really liked it, but eventually city driving meant an auto was my subsequent choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Nearly all of us drive them so I thought why not have a thread dedicated to discussing all things cars (other than electric cars which as we all know has its own thread).

My drama, I am awaiting advice from Holden whether they will willingly refund my money nor not.

Hi Rep, Honda Accord is very, very late in its life cycle. Current model seems to have disappeared off Honda's website ? I wouldn't want to buy one of the V6 Accord demo's listed on Trade Me as resale will get smashed when the new model comes out. Mrs Beagle's Honda Civic is a very tight fit for the fat male Beagle's torso lol

I'm liking the base model Commodore more and more. 2.0 liter turbo engine is the sweetest most willing bit of kit I can remember for years. RS model with a more sporty suspension tune, (probably the spec the NZ Police have in their Commodores currently being rolled out across their fleet), would appear to be the pick of the range in terms of pure driving enjoyment. Bunch of reviews here for anyone interested https://www.caradvice.com.au/holden/commodore/

I don't have any concerns regarding that 2.0 turbo engine. My concern is that all the models fitted with that engine miss all the really tasty fruity bits like Bose Stereo, adaptive cruise, heated and cooled seats e.t.c.e.t.c. The irony which isn't lost of me is that from a pure driving experience point of view the cheaper Commodore models are a better drive ! At this point I'm wondering does one really need all the fruit and perhaps lets get back to basics and if I'm really enjoying the core driving experience of the current loan car then the answer is literally right in front of my face ! I can always get a really good aftermarket stereo fitted to an RS, (I love my music) and the RS has blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert, forward collision alert, keyless entry, push button start, lane keep assist and self parking so its not like is a really basic bit of kit at all. (No heated seats though...Beagles love to have a toasty backside in winter lol) Might be able to get heated seats retrofitted, not sure.
    Last edited by Beagle; 06-02-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Update Ready To Install

Thanks for switching to a dedicated thread Beagle.

The car ive had the most fun and sheer exhilaration in is a lotus 7.The acceleration and road handling is phenomenal , magnified hugely with the top down .Impractical for anything else though.

6 Reasons To Drive A Lotus 7 • Petrolicioushttps://petrolicious.com/articles/6-reasons-to-drive-a-lotus-7

The car ive had the most sedate, soft , cruising experience in was my shiny politician brown Rover 90 with a wood dash , red leather seats and a motor that ticked over so quietly. It was also a good conversation piece with people and James K Baxters wife tried to buy toff me. But it was expensive to keep .

The most practical reliable family car i had was a Camry wagon. I could fit kids and their bikes etc in it ,sleep in the back of it at Womad or pick up a large fridge with it. Did close to 300,000 km without a prob.

The car i got when i wanted to experience a V8 once in my life (before i became aware of global warming) was a stock 350 cu in 1972 iridescent green Chev Camaro. a lot of fun for a younger person but handled like hippo.

Will leave the old VW Kombi for another thread

My damn Mazda is due another pair of tyres. Only got 82,000km out of them!

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    My damn Mazda is due another pair of tyres. Only got 82,000km out of them!
    Mate, that's what happens when you're driving like a little old lady lol

Good idea, Beagle. I am sure that we will get lots of mileage😊 from this thread. Talking of such, are there any reservations about buying second hand with more than 100,000 kms on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by airedale View Post
    Good idea, Beagle. I am sure that we will get lots of mileage😊 from this thread. Talking of such, are there any reservations about buying second hand with more than 100,000 kms on the clock.
    Depends on the vehicle, what are you looking at?

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Default From the days when cars were real cars

render.jpg

Good for a few hundred thousand more!
    om mani peme hum

A few on here know i like my cars. Since I recently part purchased into a Franchise Group (not dealerships they are now called stores) in a major US city I'm surprised how little I knew about what actually goes on behind the other side of the transaction. The level of incentives from manufacturers, swaps and the level of margins is actually a lot higher than the financials even suggest.

I also have a higher appreciation now why its not a straight forward business..its certainly not all that it seems. The information asymmetry is not fair on the consumer.
    Last edited by Raz; 06-02-2019 at 08:44 PM.

Got chatting with an old bloke from Mazda after I dropped off the Mazda 6 car and we were getting on so well he told me some interesting stuff about dealerships.
    Some of this won't be news but its worth keeping in mind in terms of how long to keep one's car. Not much money in the metal anymore. He reckons they do well if they can make $2,500 out of each unit and for that they have to have a really massive showroom, expensive signage supplied at huge cost by Mazda and heaps of yard space so on a net basis the profit margin taking into account the very high capex involved in the building and lease costs on the yard the profit is very very small. The workshop is where the real money is made. Much smaller area but over the life of the car they can make a lot more than $2,500. I think if Turners want to gewt into making any real money from their operations they should be taking notes and open a bunch of Turners service centres at their main sites.
    Quote Originally Posted by airedale View Post
    Good idea, Beagle. I am sure that we will get lots of mileage�� from this thread. Talking of such, are there any reservations about buying second hand with more than 100,000 kms on the clock.
    Mileage...I like it I want a young fit horse mate.

Update of sorts from Holden N.Z. customer care...all run out of Australia. They promised to be in contact today and they did which surprised me. Had an email apologizing that she didn't realise it was a public holiday today and has been trying to get in touch with the dealer to get some final work order on the replacement engine that's been fitted. Not sure what that has to do with either getting a new car or my money back but after seeing her conclude with saying she'll be a few more days I can't be bothered replying at this stage.

I'd be very surprised if this fiasco was over anytime soon. Just as well I have a good loan car that I am enjoying while I wait and wait and wait for Holden's management to prevaricate over this. It won't entirely surprise me if they want to keep me waiting until such time as Holden ship the old engine back to Australia and strip it down to see what caused the failure in the hope of trying to pin this on me. Underarm bowling and ball tampering is there style so I have my lawyers number transferred onto speed dial just in case. This could easily go into March before I get a statement of Holden's position and then the real fun starts...such fun, I'm so happy !

I'm best to try and forget about this fiasco for a while... I will update the thread when there's any meaningful development of course.

In the meantime lets talk about other cars that work, I think that would make me feel happier.
    Last edited by Beagle; 06-02-2019 at 06:06 PM.

Trying to get outta here

Happy to drive my old Suzuki around 90% of the time and then hop in the old jag with angry big block the other 10%. I'm not keen on high horsepower, highly stressed motors with add on turbo/superchargers, give me cubic inches any day, the more the better. PS- Current big block is 572ci(9.3 litres)

You've got to take me for a good drive in that BIG block Jag when I'm in Wellington next time. I'm really looking forward to that

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Mate, that's what happens when you're driving like a little old lady lol
    I blame our local Councillors and LTSA for that. CBD restricted to 30KPH. And open roads were 100kph limit but now down to 80kph