sharetrader
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Got chatting with an old bloke from Mazda after I dropped off the Mazda 6 car and we were getting on so well he told me some interesting stuff about dealerships.
    Some of this won't be news but its worth keeping in mind in terms of how long to keep one's car. Not much money in the metal anymore. He reckons they do well if they can make $2,500 out of each unit and for that they have to have a really massive showroom, expensive signage supplied at huge cost by Mazda and heaps of yard space so on a net basis the profit margin taking into account the very high capex involved in the building and lease costs on the yard the profit is very very small. The workshop is where the real money is made. Much smaller area but over the life of the car they can make a lot more than $2,500. I think if Turners want to gewt into making any real money from their operations they should be taking notes and open a bunch of Turners service centres at their main sites.
    Mileage...I like it I want a young fit horse mate.

Update of sorts from Holden N.Z. customer care...all run out of Australia. They promised to be in contact today and they did which surprised me. Had an email apologizing that she didn't realise it was a public holiday today and has been trying to get in touch with the dealer to get some final work order on the replacement engine that's been fitted. Not sure what that has to do with either getting a new car or my money back but after seeing her conclude with saying she'll be a few more days I can't be bothered replying at this stage.

I'd be very surprised if this fiasco was over anytime soon. Just as well I have a good loan car that I am enjoying while I wait and wait and wait for Holden's management to prevaricate over this. It won't entirely surprise me if they want to keep me waiting until such time as Holden ship the old engine back to Australia and strip it down to see what caused the failure in the hope of trying to pin this on me. Underarm bowling and ball tampering is there style so I have my lawyers number transferred onto speed dial just in case. This could easily go into March before I get a statement of Holden's position and then the real fun starts...such fun, I'm so happy !

I'm best to try and forget about this fiasco for a while... I will update the thread when there's any meaningful development of course.

In the meantime lets talk about other cars that work, I think that would make me feel happier.
    ps Sounds an intransigence or lack of internal communication on your request..sounds like it will will take time....

Even though JA do work on high volume and selling to the C fleets and masses, I would be surprised their margin is that tight. Classic dealer tale. Agree on the service comment although Mazda service costs are generally cheap. The one I'm involved with is more keenly price in the US market than here, overall cost including overhead is around 40% retail price before any cash back or discount. A license to print money unless warranty issues are sub.

bring a handful back here with conversions over for a fraction of the NZ price. Naturally for private use and over time, incidental sale.

percy

Got chatting with an old bloke from Mazda after I dropped off the Mazda 6 car and we were getting on so well he told me some interesting stuff about dealerships.
    Some of this won't be news but its worth keeping in mind in terms of how long to keep one's car. Not much money in the metal anymore. He reckons they do well if they can make $2,500 out of each unit and for that they have to have a really massive showroom, expensive signage supplied at huge cost by Mazda and heaps of yard space so on a net basis the profit margin taking into account the very high capex involved in the building and lease costs on the yard the profit is very very small. The workshop is where the real money is made. Much smaller area but over the life of the car they can make a lot more than $2,500. I think if Turners want to gewt into making any real money from their operations they should be taking notes and open a bunch of Turners service centres at their main sites.
    Mileage...I like it I want a young fit horse mate.

Update of sorts from Holden N.Z. customer care...all run out of Australia. They promised to be in contact today and they did which surprised me. Had an email apologizing that she didn't realise it was a public holiday today and has been trying to get in touch with the dealer to get some final work order on the replacement engine that's been fitted. Not sure what that has to do with either getting a new car or my money back but after seeing her conclude with saying she'll be a few more days I can't be bothered replying at this stage.

I'd be very surprised if this fiasco was over anytime soon. Just as well I have a good loan car that I am enjoying while I wait and wait and wait for Holden's management to prevaricate over this. It won't entirely surprise me if they want to keep me waiting until such time as Holden ship the old engine back to Australia and strip it down to see what caused the failure in the hope of trying to pin this on me. Underarm bowling and ball tampering is there style so I have my lawyers number transferred onto speed dial just in case. This could easily go into March before I get a statement of Holden's position and then the real fun starts...such fun, I'm so happy !

I'm best to try and forget about this fiasco for a while... I will update the thread when there's any meaningful development of course.

In the meantime lets talk about other cars that work, I think that would make me feel happier.
    Turners.
    They did look at new car dealerships and decided they were better off sticking to their business model.
    Independence and profit were the main reasons.
    TRA are now clipping the ticket with service.Small ticket for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    I few on here know i like my cars. Since I recently part purchased into a Franchise Group (not dealerships they are now called stores) in a major US city I'm surprised how little I knew about what actually goes on behind the other side of the transaction. The level of incentives from manufacturers, swaps and the level of margins is actually a lot higher than the financials even suggest.

I also have a higher appreciation now why its not a straight forward business..its certainly not all that it seems. The information asymmetry information is not fair on the consumer.
    I know a guy who was buying a new Hyundai. The car was retailing about NZ$35,000. There was a misunderstanding at the dealers. They thought that he was a fleet buyer. They sold him the car for about NZ$23,000.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by airedale View Post
    I know a guy who was buying a new Hyundai. The car was retailing about NZ$35,000. There was a misunderstanding at the dealers. They thought that he was a fleet buyer. They sold him the car for about NZ$23,000.
    Would he be so kind to include you and me in his fleet deal.?

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Would he be so kind to include you and me in his fleet deal.?
    And me lol.

Raz - John Andrew Ford and Mazda are part of the AHG group listed in Australia. Have a look at their share price graph and recent commentary about margin pressure. Its anything but a licence to print money. You can buy a demo Mazda 6 Takami, $56,995 retail which is already good value for money (top spec loaded with every conceivable bit of technology...95% of the kit that's on a top spec $200K Euro) for $45K which would solve a lot of problems for me if they handled any good and had any real power...I bet 95% of people would be happy with it though...I'm just a fussy dog. I don't think there's much margin in that and looking at AHG's share price lately I don't think the next annual meeting will be a happy occasion !

Yes I think Holden will make me wait for quite a while. The dealership support with a good loan car is proving very valuable.
    Last edited by Beagle; 07-02-2019 at 08:01 AM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

And me lol.

Raz - John Andrew Ford and Mazda are part of the AHG group listed in Australia. Have a look at their share price graph and recent commentary about margin pressure. Its anything but a licence to print money. You can buy a demo Mazda 6 Takami, $56,995 retail which is already good value for money (top spec loaded with every conceivable bit of technology...95% of the kit that's on a top spec $200K Euro) for $45K which would solve a lot of problems for me if they handled any good and had any real power...I bet 95% of people would be happy with it though...I'm just a fussy dog. I don't think there's much margin in that and looking at AHG's share price lately I don't think the next annual meeting will be a happy occasion !

Yes I think Holden will make me wait for quite a while. The dealership support with a good loan car is proving very valuable.

Be as fussy as you like however in the end you are dealing with cars with limited interested and demand by the public. If they did not have fleet sales they would be dead in the water. Perhaps with the change in fleet purchases some may well be. It may be relatively cheap deal on entry just don't expect much on exit...

Interesting, I'd always thought new car franchises were a license to print. Have the margins been hurt by Toyota and their 'no haggle' pricing? Think Rangers are still the biggest seller?

Would imagine rental car prices would be even better than fleet, when take into account worldwide volume with the majors.

Honda as you guys know has had no haggle same pricing for everyone for nearly 20 years now. Now that Toyota have joined in, (although slightly different as big fleets still get to haggle..they took notes that Honda lost a lot of rental car business) I would say this no haggle thing now has genuine momentum. Toyota's pricing for example makes Holden retail pricing look ridiculous.

Agreed Raz, does anyone expect much for their car these days after a few years use ? 50% retailed value after 3 years used to be the general benchmark but I think many customers are keeping their cars longer now, about 5 years and only seeing ~ 30% retained value at the end.
    Last edited by Beagle; 07-02-2019 at 09:35 AM.

For some "strange reason" one of my Mum's favourite sayings keeps springing to mind, write this one down if you haven't heard it before !
    "The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the thrill of a bargain"

For some "strange reason" one of my Mum's favourite sayings keeps springing to mind, write this one down if you haven't heard it before !
    My old mans was "petrol is the cheapest thing you'll put into a car"

Fred Ambler who had a shirt factory in Auckland, his motto was "the quality remains long after the price has been forgotten"

Guru

Fred Ambler who had a shirt factory in Auckland, his motto was "the quality remains long after the price has been forgotten"
    Amidst the many silly statements in the same vein, 'A rich man can afford the best - a poor man can afford nothing else.'

I like that one

Reiterated by email that I want a refund ASAP for that car. Response
    Once I get the paperwork from the dealership I can put your request forward.
    I will keep you posted throughout.
    One wonders what she has been doing since she called last Friday, probably next to nothing.
    "Throughout" in anyone's language suggests this is going to be "quite a process" that will take quite some time.
    I am going to put some timeline around this. End of the month. If no resolution by then I will begin proceedings through the Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal.
    I have very little confidence in Holden managements impartiality so for my own peace of mind I need to have a clearly defined plan to progress this my end after giving them a more than reasonable length of time to make a decision. I feel better already having a defined plan of action.

Reiterated by email that I want a refund ASAP for that car. Response

One wonders what she has been doing since she called last Friday, probably next to nothing.
    "Throughout" in anyone's language suggests this is going to be "quite a process" that will take quite some time.
    I am going to put some timeline around this. End of the month. If no resolution by then I will begin proceedings through the Motor Vehicle Disputes Tribunal.
    I have very little confidence in Holden managements impartiality so for my own peace of mind I need to have a clearly defined plan to progress this my end after giving them a more than reasonable length of time to make a decision. I feel better already having a defined plan of action.
    Rather than "I can" i'd prefer to see a "I will"........