sharetrader
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    This

I would take the replacement car...based on probability it should work out fine...it is the car you want, no alternatives at the price point unless you are looking for an imported Porsche...I have the deal for you!!
    Thanks heaps mate. What could possibly go wrong with that deal ?, where do I sign
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

I see GM in talks to sell Holden Buy a Porsche !

I think we reached the conclusion this week that getting cash back for the purchase is fraught with a lot of stress and uncertainty over a protracted period of time...probably a bit like owning a Porsche is Good weekend cars for those with deep pockets for Giltrap to plunder with extensive repairs and maintenance and heinously priced spare parts.
    Last edited by Beagle; 10-02-2019 at 10:49 AM.

But what are they actually selling.. a logo? Pretty much everything I can think of that is a "Holden" is sold as another GM product overseas and is rebadged as a Holden.

Cost of servicing, euro vs jap etc always seems to be an issue. Got a road trip planned for the end of the week so thought best I get the Moke Grunter serviced. $295 all up, with another $315 for a pair of typres and alignment. 15km's to the litre before service so will be interesting to see what it does post service.

A friend is typically spending about $2,000 per service with his Audi A6 with Giltrap. Another with a Volvo at Archibald and Shorted about $1,200 for a normal service, much more for a bigger service or when something goes wrong which with being a Volvo is very frequently. Owing a high end euro is a bit like being a fish caught by the gill and in a trap. You really are "on the hook" for some serious costs once the "complimentary" first 3 year service program runs its course.

Fixed cost servicing for the first 4 years with a new Toyota Camry, $195 per service including GST makes for an interesting contrast.
    Last edited by Beagle; 10-02-2019 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Cost of servicing, euro vs jap etc always seems to be an issue. Got a road trip planned for the end of the week so thought best I get the Moke Grunter serviced. $295 all up, with another $315 for a pair of typres and alignment. 15km's to the litre before service so will be interesting to see what it does post service.
    Moke Grunter? My 76' Mini Moke has very little servicing from year to year mainly because it's only a summer use car. We've been having lots of sun here in Chch - perfect for open top vehicles. Which set of wheels you referring?

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    A friend is typically spending about $2,000 per service with his Audi A6 with Giltrap. Another with a Volvo at Archibald and Shorted about $1,200 for a normal service, much more for a bigger service or when something goes wrong which with being a Volvo is very frequently. Owing a high end euro is a bit like being a fish caught by the gill and in a trap. You really are "on the hook" for some serious costs once the "complimentary" first 3 year service program runs its course.

Fixed cost servicing for the first 4 years with a new Toyota Camry, $195 per service including GST makes for an interesting contrast.
    Really as of right, every brand new vehicle sold should have minimal servicing. I don't understand European brands with their high servicing ; a friend also expects to be stung $1000/year on something that needs to be done. Another friend tells me that owning European, you expect that kind of high maintenance. That's why after 6 or 10 years when these cars are sold 2nd hand, no one wants to touch them because of the high cost of repairs in a breakdown. Take an Audi S8 for eg. When it goes over 100,000kms the cam belt is due for a change. But you don't just change the belt, you also have to change the whole cam assembly as they wear in accordance with the cam belt ($8K job).

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    Really as of right, every brand new vehicle sold should have minimal servicing. I don't understand European brands with their high servicing ; a friend also expects to be stung $1000/year on something that needs to be done. Another friend tells me that owning European, you expect that kind of high maintenance. That's why after 6 or 10 years when these cars are sold 2nd hand, no one wants to touch them because of the high cost of repairs in a breakdown. Take an Audi S8 for eg. When it goes over 100,000kms the cam belt is due for a change. But you don't just change the belt, you also have to change the whole cam assembly as they wear in accordance with the cam belt ($8K job).
    We're all different. What I want in a car is trouble free, reliable motoring with little downtime or cost for servicing. Comfort and reasonable performance are also important. And high depreciation is a no-no. For the above reasons I would never entertain the thought of any European car. Honda is my first choice for my requirements.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 10-02-2019 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    Then there's the depreciation !!
    Yeap, I had a high end Mercedes-Benz for 10 years as a luxury weekend vehicle. Despite only 75,000 km's on the clock it had a retained value of just 10% of its original purchase price. I let it go because the repair costs were driving me nuts. Basically they keep halving in value every three years so a high end $200K Euro is worth about $100K in 3 years, $50K in 6 years and $25K in 9 years. Stroking one's ego with high end Euro cars doesn't come cheap lol These days I am far more inclined to buy using my head not my heart which is a very dangerous business e.g. https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...76ffc514eeb52c
    Last edited by Beagle; 10-02-2019 at 04:55 PM.

Then there's the depreciation !!
    Yeap, I had a high end Mercedes-Benz for 10 years as a luxury weekend vehicle. Despite only 75,000 km's on the clock it had a retained value of just 10% of its original purchase price. I let it go because the repair costs were driving me nuts. Basically they keep halving in value every three years so a high end $200K Euro is worth about $100K in 3 years, $50K in 6 years and $25K in 9 years. Stroking one's ego with high end Euro cars doesn't come cheap lol These days I am far more inclined to buy using my head not my heart which is a very dangerous business e.g. https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...76ffc514eeb52c
    Head and heart..just need to be blended them together..as an example... most items come down to buy in price if you will be chasing you tail on them financially..I am bring three Porsche top line MVs into NZ and all up they are costing around 225k...if you want a comparable cars in the NZ market place they range 230-330k each. So I will keep one of the three and sell the other two..cost to me of the one I kept is zip except a few hours of my time...so why would I worry about service charges as I have had them totally checking by a franchise mechanic before being shipped out and I'm so far ahead I can do this in three years again. On balance the two sold will incurred very little depreciation for their new owners if they hold onto them for say three years....I will not be greedy on the asking price....

I wish you good luck with that Raz. Second hand high end Euro's parallel imported are not faring well in the N.Z. market at present especially if they are diesel, you almost can't give them away. Even new ones are seriously struggling, e.g. Corporate Cars have had 3 brand new latest model Audi A8's, (winner of world luxury car of the year for 2018) for more than 6 months and despite being priced $60,000 or more lower than franchise one's through Audi dealers they can't sell them for love nor money. Most people buy high end Euro's when they are confident about their business and economic conditions are good, which clearly is not the case at present so I predict you will find that demand is almost non-existent.

I hope you bought petrol powered ones mate so you've got some chance of selling them. Mostly you will find people enquiring about them are time wasters and test pilot's and you will spend vastly more than a few hours of your time dealing with them, I can assure you of that, oh and they'll want you to take their **** as a trade-in at a top price too. Hope you have a big garage or shed, you might have them for quite a while. (I wouldn't be a car dealer for all the tea in China, the time wasters would drive me completely nuts).
    Last edited by Beagle; 11-02-2019 at 07:56 AM.

I wish you good luck with that Raz. Second hand high end Euro's parallel imported are not faring well in the N.Z. market at present especially if they are diesel, you almost can't give them away. Even new ones are seriously struggling, e.g. Corporate Cars have had 3 brand new latest model Audi A8's, (winner of world luxury car of the year for 2018) for more than 6 months and despite being priced $60,000 or more lower than franchise one's through Audi dealers they can't sell them for love nor money. Most people buy high end Euro's when they are confident about their business and economic conditions are good, which clearly is not the case at present so I predict you will find that demand is almost non-existent.

I hope you bought petrol powered ones mate so you've got some chance of selling them. Mostly you will find people enquiring about them are time wasters and test pilot's and you will spend vastly more than a few hours of your time dealing with them, I can assure you of that, oh and they'll want you to take their **** as a trade-in at a top price too. Hope you have a big garage or shed, you might have them for quite a while. (I wouldn't be a car dealer for all the tea in China, the time wasters would drive me completely nuts).

That sounds like Auckland..can't expect your house to double every five years for eva..they need to get real. I really don't need luck on this one. They are new, and involved with a few car clubs means it will not be a problem to move, especially at the price I will be selling them at...

Have you actually looked at the A8 there is a good reason the car regardless of price is not moving...

That sounds like Auckland..can't expect your house to double every five years for eva..they need to get real. I really don't need luck on this one. They are new, and involved with a few car clubs means it will not be a problem to move, especially at the price I will be selling them at...

Have you actually looked at the A8 there is a good reason the car regardless of price is not moving...
    Looks better than the so called facelifted 7 series lol. I thought about buying one but I don't want another diesel powered car. Too many drama's. As you suggest and I acknowledge, Porsche's have a cult following with enthusiast drivers so you might be okay.