sharetrader
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    I don't even see it as money making scheme..I'm bring three MV's in I like, will drive them all and decide on which one to keep. I do have the advantage of acquiring them at a price not available to others. Then sell the other two as surplus to requirements. i have people offering deposits to have first option on them..there is limited and calculated risk here if you created a well planned process.
    If you get a "free" car out of it, it is clearly a money making scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    If you get a "free" car out of it, it is clearly a money making scheme.

You actually confusing intention, it may result just in a incidental surplus....

If I was importing with the intention to resell, that is different.

The reality is I could keep all three and they cost two thirds of buying one here. Lets say that is my intention is to import for private use and I incidentally sell any of them over time...which is really what I'm doing.

I think a lay person with clear intent as stated above could look at these as incidental sales (assuming no prior pattern) and not pay income tax upon them.

It is simply less risky for me, if ever challenged by the IRD, to pay tax on them. As an ex-accountant, and given my other interests, I would be held to a higher standard than a lay person and my time is valuable... especially if it triggered a full scale audit...

Well a good outcome for you is a good outcome, you worked for it so good for you
    Thanks Raz. I'm going to be like a cat (dog) on a hot tin roof worrying about that new engine for a few months hoping there's not some systemic issue but in my opinion there's no other new car out there at that price point that's anywhere near as good so this is the optimum course to steer, (for now).
    60 is less than three years away and I suspect something very special might arrive for that special day
    Last edited by Beagle; 12-02-2019 at 08:41 AM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

You actually confusing intention, it may result just in a incidental surplus....

If I was importing with the intention to resell, that is different.
    I will keep one of the three and sell the other two..cost to me of the one I kept is zip

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Thanks Raz. I'm going to be like a cat (dog) on a hot tin roof worrying about that new engine for a few months hoping there's not some systemic issue but in my opinion there's no other new car out there at that price point that's anywhere near as good so this is the optimum course to steer, (for now).
    60 is less than three years away and I suspect something very special might arrive for that special day
    I'm actually a little bored currently so have taken one for a drive..you are getting a lot of car for the money, until you drive it you don't fully understand the point you make..get the reliability issue..however if it was me..I would prefer an engine issue happen early on...get resolution and then revaluate.. rather than a lot worse scenario... 2.5 years down the track where it may well be a bun fight on what has been happen form the duration....

Minimoke, yes my intentions have changed and evolved over time...that does happen in life..that would be equally ok for others...you missed my entire point of my last post...as I'm paying tax in my case what is you issue...

The funny thing is I knew someone would throw up the quote as some point and if I was never going to pay tax on the transactions I would have never written it
    Last edited by Raz; 12-02-2019 at 09:16 AM.

I don't think IRD is going to care if a person imports 3 cars IN A YEAR and happens to sell them for a profit. BUT, i'm quite certain IRD will have a go at you if you show a 'repeat history over multiple years' of trading cars for a profit.

I would say the same applies with houses ; to those that buy & sell houses too frequent (ie. but 2 or 3 houses, wait 5 years and sell each one off just after the brightline test date).

Circumstances change... but repeat patterns can not be justified as accidental or by of convenience.

Also accountants don't know everything regarding to IRD's interpretation. They can be as varying as doing WOF at various garage testing stations.

I'm actually a little bored currently so have taken one for a drive..you are getting a lot of car for the money, until you drive it you don't fully understand the point you make..get the reliability issue..however if it was me..I would prefer an engine issue happen early on...get resolution and then revaluate.. rather than a lot worse scenario... 2.5 years down the track where it may well be a bun fight on what has been happen form the duration....
    Thanks Raz you make a good point. If the engine had failed further down the track the questions of what I did or didn't do to contribute to any failure would be coming thick and fast. 850 km total engine failure its pretty obvious there was a glitch in the manufacturing process with that one. Although its been a very intense month, (and certainly not something I wanted to cast a long shadow over my summer holidays) at least its almost over and done with. Last time I had a big drama with another car was 12 years ago with a Mercedes-Benz and they were extremely arrogant to deal with and the fight went on for nearly 5 months and consumed approximately 200 hours of my time and required technical assistance from two top engineers. Short stressful and successful is a LOT better than protracted and antagonistic.

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post

Circumstances change... .
    Which is why intent is looked at from the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3LkVH3Zxic
    Review of the Calais V for anyone interested. Have a listen to the spec list, its very comprehensive !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3LkVH3Zxic
    Review of the Calais V for anyone interested. Have a listen to the spec list, its very comprehensive !
    I'm trying but struggling to get past the "no v8, no rear wheel drive"

Sounds straight off the Australian Bogan sites....

Sounds straight off the Australian Bogan sites....
    Just quoting the chick in the vid. If thats an Australian Bogan our Westies have a bit of catching up to do.

My Chrysler SRT8 had a lovely 6.4 liter Hemi V8 and its official urban consumption rating is 20.5 liters per 100 km's using 98 Octane fuel, much more if you wanted to hear the Hemi on full song. Very enjoyable car to own for 5 years right up until 98 Octane hit $2.60 a liter in September 2018. It had a fantastic Harmon Kardon sound system and it was a compulsory requirement to turn this up really loud and get the base thumping out to mask all the squeaks rattles and noises from the interior trim (American build quality, say no more). Huge bang for your buck with initial capex, especially at the price I paid after a $22K discount for a very low mileage demo) but ongoing opex started to do my head in.

It was time for a change but if I knew all the drama's that would some with that and that 98 Octane would fall back to about $2.30 a liter I probably wouldn't have bothered.
    Moral of the story...if you have a good horse that's performing well (albeit with a few idiosyncrasies that are a little annoying), stick with it even if it likes a drink too often.
    Hope the new horse lasts a lot better than the most recent problematic one.
    Last edited by Beagle; 13-02-2019 at 10:55 AM.

It was time for a change but if I knew all the drama's that would some with that and that 98 Octane would fall back to about $2.30 a liter I probably wouldn't have bothered.
    I think this might be an example of where the old adage "look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves" doesnt work.

You've gone through all this angst for $6 per 100km.

Say you do 10,000 km a year thats 600 bucks. How much is your depreciation when you drive your new car off the lot?

(such question don't trouble me in my old 91 octane, 15l to the 100km car)