sharetrader
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

That said the facelifted BMW 7 series with the 395 kw / 750 nm 4.4 V8 engine with Xdrive (0-100 in 4.0 seconds) looks like a pretty interesting combination of luxury and power...
    I've never understood the fascination of high powered 4 door sedans. I believe Jeremy Clarkson made such a comment in Top Gear that luxury is 1 thing but if you want performance, you really need to design the car fit FOR performance and not just try to mix with 4 seater sedans. It's just too wasteful carrying extra pillar weight for 4 doors weight of the seats etc. I'm also not use to seeing the high powered Ford Falcons and Commodores in ute fashion.

Banned

I used to own a supercharged V8 FPV (Ford performance vehicle), slightly tweaked for 400 kw's or well over 500 horsepower. Very fond memories of that car in terms of raw power with good handling and brakes but not much in the way of tech. Useful to have 4 doors to carry the family around in too.

BMW M5 and Mercedes-Benz C63 and E63 and similar from other brands have a real enthusiasts following. This mixing of luxury with performance and latest tech that BMW have embarked upon with their facelifted 7 series could be quite interesting is as much as one can enjoy performance / technology and luxury all at the same time. I had a good drive of the previous model and found the adaptability of the suspension in terms of the various settings ranging from comfort to sport plus to give the car a real Jeckel and Hyde character, almost like two completely different cars but as you suggest nothing can change the fact that its no lightweight sports coupe. I guess it appeals to the slightly older demographic that really want a luxury car but from time to time want to have a bit of a play out on some back country road somewhere...

I suppose the reason I was getting at is, why the obsession of high performance wagons? We have Bathurst racing 4 door bodies ; something you will never see in Nascar or in US racing. Why does it have to be a barrier to include 2 extra doors when meeting performance standards? I'm not against fast luxury cars. But i'm against the requirement of needing similar HP as the racing 2 door cars when you know the luxury model will never be as fast on the track.

Do you wonder why Ferrari and most supercars are based on a mid-engine platform? Piling more HP into a conventional saloon body is not gonna work forever.

Banned

I suppose the reason I was getting at is, why the obsession of high performance wagons?

Not sure where you're coming from but I think most wealthy people would want to choose a car with an abundance of power rather than just enough to do the job.
    Perhaps Rolls Royce encapsulate this ethos the best with the way they talk about reserve power https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1270165
    With the new BMW 7 series perhaps by fitting a motor with 395 Kw's into a luxury car they're giving people a little taste of what its like to own a Rolls Royce ?
    A little known fact is BMW own Rolls Royce cars.

Definitly needs a "bigger" grille https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...ve-2019-review
    Last edited by Beagle; 03-04-2019 at 05:42 PM.

Wink Autobahn's

Not sure where you're coming from but I think most wealthy people would want to choose a car with an abundance of power rather than just enough to do the job.
    Perhaps Rolls Royce encapsulate this ethos the best with the way they talk about reserve power https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1270165
    With the new BMW 7 series perhaps by fitting a motor with 395 Kw's into a luxury car they're giving people a little taste of what its like to own a Rolls Royce ?
    A little known fact is BMW own Rolls Royce cars.

Definitly needs a "bigger" grille https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...ve-2019-review

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...hrough-germany

This would have been fun..the catch is anyone can go fast on open autobahn's... it judging when to slow and anticipate you may have to stop from these speeds is the tricky bit.

Found on a recent drive over there the tolerance to high speeds has changed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Sounds great news, I reckon you will now have a dream run, certainly seeing more on the roads this year. Personally been a nice distraction over March to deciding which Porsche to keep..all sorted and other two sold before year end, forget confidence surveys people still have money
    3,000 km's now in the new Holden, oil looks nice and clean and everything going well. Zero oil consumption.
    Last edited by Beagle; 04-05-2019 at 02:01 PM.

3,000 km's now in the new Holden, oil looks nice and clean and everything going well. Zero oil consumption.
    Early days still the kms start to get add up quickly...

In terms of performance, there is a truism that whilst performance has increased a lot, the opportunity to use that performance has diminished greatly along with the entertainment value.

Case in point, an LJ Torana GTR XU1 Bathurst recently exchanged hands for around $200,000. That would have done 0-100 in around 8 seconds in 1972, by 1992 a DOHC Mazda 323 would have done similar (albeit with less horsepower) but with infinitely better tyres than the crossplies, disc brakes and a 5 speed (along with halogen headlights that would have made you consider a torch to check the lights were on in the XU1). Jump forward another 20 years, my wife's i30 with the 2.0 petrol direct injection, 6 speed auto has a 7 second 0-100 capability on the school run.

In the past 35 years of driving, roads have got better but much busier, speed cameras, bad driving and B double trucks that most drivers won't pass except on a passing lane means that the opportunity to utilize all the performance has diminished exponentially.

I have had the opportunity to discover vMax legally on public roads - a V6 Commodore is around 230 indicated on the Stuart Highway but that's constrained by the presence of Roos and that fuel consumption at wide open throttle will see range to empty tumble by levels that could see you not making the next servo... and driving in the left lane on a stretch of autobahn at more demands every piece of concentration you have plus a constant flick up to the rear vision mirror for high beams demanding you make way before a gaggle of trucks means you are braking hard with a stopping distance that can be compared to a Tiget Woods drive.

On the other hand - the noise, vibration and nostalgic memories of Brock in 1972 will evoke the senses but these days I get my kicks with a Yamaha 225 Four Stroke without anyone sharing my water,,,,

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Raz View Post
    Early days still the kms start to get add up quickly...
    Yeah it is early days. Couple of people have asked me what I think of my new car and I've simply told them ask me in a few years time, can't recommend one at present after what happened to the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rep View Post
    In terms of performance, there is a truism that whilst performance has increased a lot, the opportunity to use that performance has diminished greatly along with the entertainment value.

Case in point, an LJ Torana GTR XU1 Bathurst recently exchanged hands for around $200,000. That would have done 0-100 in around 8 seconds in 1972, by 1992 a DOHC Mazda 323 would have done similar (albeit with less horsepower) but with infinitely better tyres than the crossplies, disc brakes and a 5 speed (along with halogen headlights that would have made you consider a torch to check the lights were on in the XU1). Jump forward another 20 years, my wife's i30 with the 2.0 petrol direct injection, 6 speed auto has a 7 second 0-100 capability on the school run.

In the past 35 years of driving, roads have got better but much busier, speed cameras, bad driving and B double trucks that most drivers won't pass except on a passing lane means that the opportunity to utilize all the performance has diminished exponentially.

I have had the opportunity to discover vMax legally on public roads - a V6 Commodore is around 230 indicated on the Stuart Highway but that's constrained by the presence of Roos and that fuel consumption at wide open throttle will see range to empty tumble by levels that could see you not making the next servo... and driving in the left lane on a stretch of autobahn at more demands every piece of concentration you have plus a constant flick up to the rear vision mirror for high beams demanding you make way before a gaggle of trucks means you are braking hard with a stopping distance that can be compared to a Tiget Woods drive.

On the other hand - the noise, vibration and nostalgic memories of Brock in 1972 will evoke the senses but these days I get my kicks with a Yamaha 225 Four Stroke without anyone sharing my water,,,,
    True that, very few places you can use 500 horsepower with a car anymore so not a lot of point having it. Had my time with that sort of thing and it was a lot of fun.
    Yamaha 225 a very nice motor...I am toying with the idea of bolting one to one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXpgvfwlHco or maybe one of the brand new Mercury V8 250 h.p., she'd fly with one of those which is max horsepower for that rig. Those Stabi's are a very good bit of kit, I used to own a Stabicraft 759 and it was an awesome boat.
    Last edited by Beagle; 05-05-2019 at 04:05 PM.