sharetrader
    Banned

Default Chernobyl - 30 years on.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/techa...cid=spartandhp
    Makes for an interesting and sombre read. Many on here will remember it vividly when the accident happened.

Thanks that was interesting.

Just goes to show the power or mother nature vs what the scientists had to say. The fear that nuclear radiation from a disaster renders the place uninhabitable for generations.

Consider all those that fly on an airplane?

Banned

Hiroshima another interesting case study in recovery from a nuclear event.
    I loathe nuclear weapons but in a truly ironic twist I may owe my very existence to them. My Dad as a very young man was on the boat on his way to fight the Japanese in the islands and it was well known at the time that the Japanese were going to fight to the very last man standing.
    Mum tells me that when Dad said his goodbye's to his friends and family from Gore in Southland there was the sombre realisation that many of these young men wouldn't come home. "Little boy" was dropped from Enola Gay in the nick of time.
    Last edited by Beagle; 17-02-2019 at 10:00 PM.

I find I have a sort of ghoulish interest in this subject
    There have been a few fake reports come out over the years but this one looked legit
    quite interesting the variation in the radioactivity levels !
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Veteran novice

My Dad as a very young man was on the boat on his way to fight the Japanese in the islands and it was well known at the time that the Japanese were going to fight to the very last man standing.
    Very likely in the Navy which had two - I think - cruisers attached to the Royal Naval squadron in the Pacific. The NZ 3rd Division, which had fought in the Islands, had been disbanded in 1943 to provide reinforcements for the 2nd Division in Italy.

Yes, there's no doubt that the development of the atomic bomb and its use against Japan, while dreadful in itself, saved very heavy casualties, both military and among Japanese civilians that would have resulted from an invasion of the Japanese home islands.

Banned

More content to feed anyone's ghoulish interest in this radioactivity recovery thingy https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world...cid=spartandhp

that sure was a triple whammy that Fukushima.
    I followed that one like a hawk , and had a real bad feeling about it early in the piece. It was such a slow motion trainwreck and shows you the cost that can be borne by the state when a commercial operation screws up.
    Last edited by peat; 22-02-2019 at 10:44 PM.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Update Ready To Install

Watched a fantastic 4 or 5 programmes on Chernobyl on Sky recently.Very accurate fact based drama on how it all happened and what happened to the whistle blower,s brilliant stuff. What happened to the workers, technicians, incredible incompetence by one,and ordinary people, and pregnant spouses, the animals/pets left behind ( shot) in the exclusion zone . And when the failsafe button causes the meltdown well!!!**#. Moral is dont build nuclear reactors on the cheap!!

I watched it too. Extremely well done series. I learned a heck of a lot from it that I didn’t know at the time. Many, many more people died than should have. A despicable cover up.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Watched a fantastic 4 or 5 programmes on Chernobyl on Sky recently.Very accurate fact based drama on how it all happened and what happened to the whistle blower,s brilliant stuff. What happened to the workers, technicians, incredible incompetence by one,and ordinary people, and pregnant spouses, the animals/pets left behind ( shot) in the exclusion zone . And when the failsafe button causes the meltdown well!!!**#. Moral is dont build nuclear reactors on the cheap!!

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    I watched it too. Extremely well done series. I learned a heck of a lot from it that I didn’t know at the time. Many, many more people died than should have. A despicable cover up.
    For those who have not watched it, seek it out, it was also on Neon, so its probable doing the rounds.

Yes great series .. onto my last episode tonight (Harddrive)

Amazing sacrifice made by so many
    People don't have ideas, ideas have people

Advanced Member

Fantastic series, best for a long time. Can be accessed through Sky on demand for sky customers, it under catch up tv. Sure to be repeated again though as is going to pick up tonnes of awards.

They were a bit liberal with the truth, but not too much. Apparently all the animals were killed by proper pest control operatives, and the main scientist featured was not even at the trial of the incompetent managers.