sharetrader

Thread: Neural Networks

Default Neural Networks

I have been reading about neural networks lately namely how they can uncover hidden relationships in price data. Just wandering has anyone dabbled with them? Is it a waste of time? Should I just stick to traditional technical analysis and fundamentals?

I recall the study of neural networks having a lot of quantitative math during my finance studies. They prove nothing. TA and fundamental analysis again only goes so far. If you subscribe to the likes of Buffet and Munger, their secret doesn't imply any of those analysis but rather, a more 'common sense' approach.

IMO

Common sense approach being ?

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

I have been there and done that and now have a T-shirt that reads:

"I tried Neural Networks and all I got was a Headache".
    om mani peme hum

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Common sense approach being ?
    The common sense approach seeing the behaviour of consumers and how corporate responds to their demand.

For several decades, Wall Street has employed the top mathematicians, the brightest graduates from Harvard, Yale, Stanford, etc in the area of Finance and Economics... to prove that they could do better investing than the 'market return'. They come out with all sorts of ideas like TA, your neural networks, fundamental analysis, and they crunch down the numbers. You know what? They ALL failed. So then they go out and try it again.. and they failed. You've got to wonder why there is such a huge industry of stock pickers (ie. actively managed funds) and they do worse than the market index return on a "CUMULATIVE BASIS" say over 10 years ????

I tend to agree that if neural networks gave you an edge hedge funds would be using them. So how do hedge funds make there trading decisions? Do you they use technical analysis or fundamental or a combination of both?

Fund managers make all sorts of trades based on countless of factors. The fact is pretty much all of them can't do better than simply throwing darts on the board (where the board would have the names of the stocks they would want to invest in). It's been done in the past where top scholars in finance have done no better than monkeys choosing which stocks to buy. We're talking billions spent by Wall Street trying to 'consistently' beat the market. It just doesn't work. Yet we have a whole industry that supports investing into 'actively managed funds'.

In the area of Finance, we've been taught that in order for TA to be relevant, we need to have a "strong form" market hypothesis (where markets are extremely efficient). That has never been the case because not all information is available (ie. we still have insider trading). As for fundamental #s, that only goes so far as certain variables can't be quantified in #s. ie Such as a decision by a high profile investor pulling out and the stock collapses, or geopolitical decisions which no math forecasting formula can ever predict.