sharetrader

Thread: Hatch

Default Hatch

Anyone here using Hatch to invest in overseas shares? I was browsing their website, trying to read through the FAQs, but I was getting timeouts and broken links, not a great first impression.

What I was trying to find out was what happens to any shares you've purchased if Hatch cease to operate.

https://help.hatchinvest.nz/security...and-money-safe - "If Hatch ceases to exist, your shares will stay in your name, held by DriveWealth. You will still own your shares, we can’t touch them."

n the case of US broker insolvency (DriveWealth, ICBC), there are protections in place in the US such as Securities Investor Protection Corporation which insures each customer account for up to $500,000 (with a maximum of $250,000 in cash). More details on the insurance you get are here: www.sipc.org

Run by an offshoot of Kiwibank. No custody fees and brokerage fees are 2cents per share (USD). So if you use hatch you get better value buying a few high-cost shares rather than lots of low-cost ones. Only negative I see is that when you buy/sell, you must use the current FX rate as they do not provide a foreign-currency account.

I already have some US shares through ASB, but might give hatch a go - might wait until USD/NZD improves though.

I use Hatch as an easy effective way to access individual shares in the US. At a minimum of $8USD/trade it is manageable depending on the scale of your purchase. I make regular deposits and when I have accumulated enough add to my portfolio

There is quite an active facebook page 'Hatch Investors Club' for people with accounts where they provide updates and seek feedback
    on the platform

A blog from an analyst in US shares http://kratistoinvesting.blogspot.com/