sharetrader
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What would you do

So here is the issue and what would you do in this situation.

I’ve recently discovered, or to be correct about this, have known for about the past five years that my boss has been fraudulently taking money off people and out of the business itself. These amounts can range from anywhere from $500 a day to $25,000 a week. The amounts change frequently depending on how busy things are.

I’m in a situation where I don’t know who to exactly trust as I also suspect the accounts Lady who by the way has just qualified as an accountant is also in on it.

Due to the me the amounts involved and the amount of people this affects morally I’m having a very difficult time dealing with this.

I know there are some very clever people on this forum so what would your advice be?

PS This is a real situation!

First thing to do is to go to the local dairy and buy about 30 newspapers, because you're going to need that many to cut the letters out for all the blackmail letters you'll be creating.

Is there a head office or company owner listed on the company's register that you can contact? You'll need their details so your blackmail threats have more clout.

Hmmm. First post eh?

Staying quiet is not an option. That you stayed silent for 5 years should cause you to look very closely at yourself.

Given the amounts, and the time first assumption is you work for a large organisation. In which case you are likely to have some kind of internal procedure to cover this kind of thing. Your HR department ought to know where it is.

If that assumption is wrong and you dont have a procedure or HR dept then you go to the boss of your company. Go with hard evidence, not speculation or opinion. Dont meddle in the accounts - dont disturb the "crime scene".

If your boss is the boss of the organisation then the above wont work. So it sounds like a criminal act is underway so you go to the police.

If you are worried about your job you have some legal protection from the Protected Disclosures act (Whistle blowers act) which means action cant be taken against you. But in reality things get messy and there is a chance staying in the organisation may be untenable. Where possible your identity will remain secret - unless you have to be part of the investigation. But again, in reality, if you work fora small organiation it is likely people will figure out you are the whistle blower.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by solved View Post
    So here is the issue and what would you do in this situation.

I’ve recently discovered, or to be correct about this, have known for about the past five years that my boss has been fraudulently taking money off people and out of the business itself. These amounts can range from anywhere from $500 a day to $25,000 a week. The amounts change frequently depending on how busy things are.

I’m in a situation where I don’t know who to exactly trust as I also suspect the accounts Lady who by the way has just qualified as an accountant is also in on it.
    The person you need to approach is the business owner. That is the person being ripped off. However, it is possible that the business owner hired the boss, and regards them as a trusted associate/employee or even business partner. So you will have to have some evidence of what is going on. You need to start your own diary of events with dates and times documenting exactly what you have seen and heard and when. If you can photograph any relevant documents you have seen on your cell phone camera that would be another way to gather evidence.

Not sure about your allegation of 'taking money off people'. Do you mean customers? 'Overcharging' to your eyes might not be illegal, even if you see it as immoral.

Due to the me the amounts involved and the amount of people this affects morally I’m having a very difficult time dealing with this.
    Being immoral, however distasteful that may be to you, is not a crime in itself.

SNOOPY
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Staying quiet is not an option. That you stayed silent for 5 years should cause you to look very closely at yourself.
    A bit harsh minimoke. You can't know at what point a suspicion that something is awry turned into something more sure. It could be that this alleged fraud from five years ago has become firmly evident only with the benefit of hindsight. Biting the hand that feeds you is not an easy thing to do. Especially when it may not be just you who is affected. You may have family dependents you have to think about.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 10-03-2019 at 08:03 AM.
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Guru

Good food for thought above.
    Fraud is not fraud it is financial irregularities until there is proof of the money trail.
    Also consider your future "solved".
    When the financial irregularities are uncovered what will be the affect on the company and your future in it?
    What do you need to do to secure your financial future?
    Do you need to find another job when the s***t hits the fan.Do it sooner than latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    A bit harsh minimoke. You can't know at what point a suspicion that something is awry turned into something more sure. It could be that this alleged fraud from five years ago has become firmly evident only with the benefit of hindsight. Biting the hand that feeds you is not an easy thing to do. Especially when it may not be just you who is affected. You may have family dependents you have to think about.

SNOOPY
    "
    I’ve …... have known for about the past five years". I stand by my comment

IMO

Good luck doing the right thing solved ,and dont feel guilty about how long its taken, you know its wrong and that bad things happen when good people do nothing and you want to expose this without whistle blower damage which is understandable. Maybe an investigative reporter with good reputation if you feel you cant go to the top.IF you feel you cant switch to another employer for what ever reason; i can understand your dilemma here. Having as much detail accurately recorded as evidence is essential. Good luck and the truth usually has a way of getting out thanks to people like you!.

Mini
    In response to clarify a couple of things, it is a small company and there is no large HR department or any internal processes to cover this sort of thing.
    Which brings me to the next part of your response. The boss is not the owner of the company and they have a very hands-off approach and to be honest would not have a clue about what is going on. Yes I have known for about the past five years and have really become aware over the past 12 months how prevalent it is.

Snoopy
    Also to clarify some of your comments it is not the case of overcharging clients it’s a case of altering documents and financial records to make it appear to the client that their financial income is less than what it actually was. For example, a client did earn $20,000 for a one month period but the boss altered the accounting system to show they only earnt $10,000, the rest of the money mysteriously disappears.
    With large companies most have a facility to report this sort of behaviour in confidence but the situation I’m in I feel I don’t have any options.

Call IRD. Money doesn’t just vanish so there will be a trail somewhere.