sharetrader
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Carbon Credit Forestry Portfolio

What do we make of these unlikely bedfellows joining forces to create a carbon credit forestry portfolio - Air New Zealand, Contact Energy, Genesis Energy and Z Energy.

Is this the forestry of the future? I can see it being a boon for marginal landholders, where many have been caught out previously with retirement blocks of forest that become at best break even after harvesting costs materialize.

It might even tempt me into farming trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Timesurfer View Post
    What do we make of these unlikely bedfellows joining forces to create a carbon credit forestry portfolio - Air New Zealand, Contact Energy, Genesis Energy and Z Energy.

Is this the forestry of the future? I can see it being a boon for marginal landholders, where many have been caught out previously with retirement blocks of forest that become at best break even after harvesting costs materialize.

Carbon credits are a sick joke as far as I am concerned. I have a 10 hctr block ready to harvest for which I have accumulated about 1600 credits. It has cost me over $1000 in registration and other ongoing fees so far and now they tell me to surrender my credits to avoid having to repay them post harvest.
    I would think long and hard before I considered farming trees.
    Soolaimon

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Soolaimon View Post
    Carbon credits are a sick joke as far as I am concerned. I have a 10 hctr block ready to harvest for which I have accumulated about 1600 credits. It has cost me over $1000 in registration and other ongoing fees so far and now they tell me to surrender my credits to avoid having to repay them post harvest.
    What are those 1600 credits worth?
    I think Carbon credits et al is just a huge scam and a load of virtue signalling nonsense anyway. Carbon is not the problem. Carbon dioxide maybe but that is debatable as well as it is a huge contributor to plant life. I would love to see the PPM of CO2 at 500-600 as that would help the world flourish.

Guru

Rather than surrender, can't you sell them?

My sister and bro-in-law just sold their farm to forestry and the buyers didn't want the credits - so they sold them and kept the cash!

Quote Originally Posted by Timesurfer View Post

More corporate virtuousness thats makes me sick.

Planting trees will not make one bit of difference to anything - other than making themselves think they are doing good over this big ****.

Would be much better if they (and govt) invested the money on research on how to reduce pollution at its source.

(we dont need anymore damn wildings!)

Interesting to hear your experience, thanks.

There was also the billion trees Jones fund, which incidentally, you don’t have to plant pine weeds, you can qualify for the fund and presumably carbon credits by planting native. Which could be an option for companies looking to make the most of the green branding.

Why don't you sell the credits, current price is $25.55 or over $40,000?

https://www.commtrade.co.nz/

Does replanting, not maintain the credits or something?

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    What are those 1600 credits worth?
    I think Carbon credits et al is just a huge scam and a load of virtue signalling nonsense anyway. Carbon is not the problem. Carbon dioxide maybe but that is debatable as well as it is a huge contributor to plant life. I would love to see the PPM of CO2 at 500-600 as that would help the world flourish.
    Move to Asia then and breathe all you want. Just don't expect to see the sun much.

The air is now toxic in large swaths of the planet. Including just in my personal experience, consistent AQI ratings over 100 in large parts of India, China, Vietnam, Thailand and Indonesia. An AQI over 100 should see schools shut BTW.

Attachment 10396

Source: https://aqicn.org (note many governments now just turn off AQI monitoring in bad days or choose a calculation that doesn't looks so bad)

Easy to blame those developing countries but where do all our products come from?

If I sell the credits now, I have to pay them back after harvest and maybe by then the price of a credit has increased.... I lose again! Replanting is not an option as I don't want to lumber the grandchildren with the ongoing expenses to maintain a forest for a very minimal return.
    Soolaimon

I am wondering with these corporate giants getting personally involved with forestry how they will manage it. Will they take the option of planting native for instance and just lock up more land for the credits rather than active forest management (which as pointed has the issue of harvest affecting credits which is their main goal).

They could of course go into partnership with the likes of CVT and plant Manuka - If I was in the honey industry I would be looking to talk to these companies.