sharetrader
Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast
Results 421 to 435 of 438
  1. #421
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    I'm getting a little confused.
    Its the start of Ramadan and NZ mosques are getting loads of armed police protection.

    But in Sri Lanka its the Christians who are getting bombed by the Muslims and in Israel its the Jews having rockets launched at them by the Muslims. (https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.ba6091c80df9); a Taliban militant has killed 15 people in Afghanastan, Islamic State killed 18 in Syria, Jihadists killed 6 in Burkino Faso. Its not the Muslim world that needs protection

    Seems to me chances of a retaliation strike have to be greater than a copy cat strike - both of which I rate as very low in NZ.

    I'm not so sure its the local muslims who need ongoing protection
    The extra security for NZ mosques over Ramadan is appropriate. The manifestation of violence and hate in NZ from one group or person may well act as a clarion call to other sympathisers in the same community.

    Are you prefessionally involved with intelligence and security in NZ? I imagine our security people have made their assessments. Whilst terrorism - and hate - can cross borders, the NZ threat environment may differ from that in Sri Lanka. There was extra security for Easter services.

  2. #422
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    The extra security for NZ mosques over Ramadan is appropriate. The manifestation of violence and hate in NZ from one group or person may well act as a clarion call to other sympathisers in the same community.

    Are you prefessionally involved with intelligence and security in NZ? I imagine our security people have made their assessments. Whilst terrorism - and hate - can cross borders, the NZ threat environment may differ from that in Sri Lanka. There was extra security for Easter services.
    So, you're saying our intelligence and security services have made assessments and they believe there is a heightened risk of a further terror attack at a mosque in NZ during Ramadan. And conversely there is no risk of a reprisal attack from one group or person who may well act in retaliation despite an expert report that shows Christians are now the most persecuted people in the world.

  3. #423
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,216

    Default

    Its no surprise police dont have the resources for Body Cameras even though Parking Wardens have them nowadays. https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...g-body-cameras

  4. #424
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,216

    Default

    Its no surprise Police dont have resources to investigate actual claims of harm: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...-and-witnesses

  5. #425
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,091

    Default

    Ayaan Hirsi Ali, former Dutch member of Parliament, and Somalian refugee has a take from the inside:

    Christians are being killed in the Islamic world because of their religion. It is a rising genocide that ought to provoke global alarm.
    The portrayal of Muslims as victims or heroes is at best partially accurate. In recent years the violent oppression of Christian minorities has become the norm in Muslim-majority nations stretching from West Africa and the Middle East to South Asia and Oceania. In some countries it is governments and their agents that have burned churches and imprisoned parishioners. In others, rebel groups and vigilantes have taken matters into their own hands, murdering Christians and driving them from regions where their roots go back centuries.

    https://www.newsweek.com/ayaan-hirsi...im-world-65817

  6. #426
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    In the meantime our would be Islamic extremist terrorist youth who is walking the Christchurch streets kinda says sorry. Only a couple of breaches in his supervision order so far - just taking his mum's phone and watching porn, though nothing objectionable.
    Oh theres a frickin surprise. While we have youngsters locked up in remand for holding objectionable material this toe rag has been back in court today for another breach of his soft community sentence. Lots of tolerance for the islam convert https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...about-breaches

  7. #427
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    LA/ChCh/AKL
    Posts
    958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Oh theres a frickin surprise. While we have youngsters locked up in remand for holding objectionable material this toe rag has been back in court today for another breach of his soft community sentence. Lots of tolerance for the islam convert https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...about-breaches
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/chr...r-the-top-raid

  8. #428
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,216

    Default

    So the Prime Minister has seen the video
    "I use and manage my social media just like anyone else. I know the reach of this video was vast, because I too inadvertently saw it," the Prime Minister says in an op-ed article published this weekend in the New York Times.
    "Many people report seeing it autoplay on their social media feeds and not realising what it was - after all, how could something so heinous be so available?"


    Does social media not have a STOP button. Even I can manage my social media - I havent seen the video.

  9. #429
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    So the Prime Minister has seen the video
    "I use and manage my social media just like anyone else. I know the reach of this video was vast, because I too inadvertently saw it," the Prime Minister says in an op-ed article published this weekend in the New York Times.
    "Many people report seeing it autoplay on their social media feeds and not realising what it was - after all, how could something so heinous be so available?"


    Does social media not have a STOP button. Even I can manage my social media - I havent seen the video.
    I would have thought that all cabinet ministers would have been fully briefed on and have access to all information and evidence to do with a terrorist event that had been in the public domain.

  10. #430
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bjauck View Post
    I would have thought that all cabinet ministers would have been fully briefed on and have access to all information and evidence to do with a terrorist event that had been in the public domain.
    But she said "because I too inadvertently saw it". Nothing to do with being briefed or access to information and evidence et al.

  11. #431
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,216

    Default

    I have a growing unease with our censorship. First of all the Manifesto gets banned. Next the media agree to limit their publishing of certain details at trial.

    Now we have Paddy Gower on TV3 doing an expose on an apparent NZ white Nationalist problem

    First thing that struck me was the shooter is Australian - why is the event now being dressed up as a NZ issue? And didnt the shooter say he leant more towards socialist eco / green views?

    I'm beginning to think the manifesto should be made available so we can form our own views - especially when our views are being led by Gower who was very good at reporting his opinion rather than facts.

  12. #432
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    I have a growing unease with our censorship. First of all the Manifesto gets banned. Next the media agree to limit their publishing of certain details at trial.

    Now we have Paddy Gower on TV3 doing an expose on an apparent NZ white Nationalist problem

    First thing that struck me was the shooter is Australian - why is the event now being dressed up as a NZ issue? And didnt the shooter say he leant more towards socialist eco / green views?

    I'm beginning to think the manifesto should be made available so we can form our own views - especially when our views are being led by Gower who was very good at reporting his opinion rather than facts.
    What is the law in relation to the manifesto if we are present in other countries? Ie if we travel to the US or Europe etc, can we then view the manifesto? Or is that illegal too? Or could I ask my cousin in Holland to read it an recite it to me through Whatssapp? Or just ask him to read it and give me the main parts? I know I will be looking to get my news from foreign sources once the trial starts.

  13. #433
    Legend minimoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Christchurch, New Zealand.
    Posts
    6,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    What is the law in relation to the manifesto if we are present in other countries? Ie if we travel to the US or Europe etc, can we then view the manifesto? Or is that illegal too? Or could I ask my cousin in Holland to read it an recite it to me through Whatssapp? Or just ask him to read it and give me the main parts? I know I will be looking to get my news from foreign sources once the trial starts.
    NZ jurisdiction, broadly speaking, doesnt travel well to other countries. Just dont try to bring it back to NZ.

    I've already decided to rely on foreign coverage of the trial rather than our "cleansed" version we will get from local media.

  14. #434
    Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,766

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    I have a growing unease with our censorship. First of all the Manifesto gets banned. Next the media agree to limit their publishing of certain details at trial.

    Now we have Paddy Gower on TV3 doing an expose on an apparent NZ white Nationalist problem

    First thing that struck me was the shooter is Australian - why is the event now being dressed up as a NZ issue? And didnt the shooter say he leant more towards socialist eco / green views?

    I'm beginning to think the manifesto should be made available so we can form our own views - especially when our views are being led by Gower who was very good at reporting his opinion rather than facts.
    Australians have visa free access to NZ to live and work. He had been living in NZ. It is a NZ & Australian issue requiring co-operation.

    Local censorship canít extend to overseas jurisdictions and those with access to their reporting.

    Prior to the Good Friday Agreement the UK government regarded Sinn Fein leader Gerry Adams as a terrorist. His Voice was censored and could not be broadcast in the UK. However that prohibition was unenforceable in the USA, NZ and elsewhere.

  15. #435
    Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    NZ jurisdiction, broadly speaking, doesnt travel well to other countries. Just dont try to bring it back to NZ.

    I've already decided to rely on foreign coverage of the trial rather than our "cleansed" version we will get from local media.
    Great to hear. I will have a read when I go overseas later in the year. That way at least I will be fully informed.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •