sharetrader

Thread: New US IPOs

Default New US IPOs

With the NZX leaving one underwhelmed, I have taken sometime to look over my broker allocations available for a host of IPOs happen in the US. Certainly a lot of them and the hype associated...

Uber, Lyft, AirBnb, Pinterest, Postmates and Slack, anyone else taking a punt, if so lets discuss.

As a general rule, I don't buy any IPO in the retail trading market due to such stocks being over hyped. Good examples are FIT, GPRO, DDD, and 99% of others that fail to perform after a 4 or 5 year period.

Now as far as the primary market goes, I never say no to any broker allocation I get in the US providing there's no lock up period. But generally such high tech stocks always have a lock up period.

I've found nothing on the NZX that appeals to me and in most cases, a lot of it is rigged and massive lack of liquidity. Any person with a million $ position will have a tough time to enter or exit a particular NZX share without raising an eye and effecting the share price. and if you do it slowly, the brokers are happy to charge commissions.. and annual account fees, etc.

But seriously speaking, there's not a lot to be gained as a NZ tax resident to be playing in US equities as the $50K threshold balance is very small.

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    As a general rule, I don't buy any IPO in the retail trading market due to such stocks being over hyped. Good examples are FIT, GPRO, DDD, and 99% of others that fail to perform after a 4 or 5 year period.

Now as far as the primary market goes, I never say no to any broker allocation I get in the US providing there's no lock up period. But generally such high tech stocks always have a lock up period.

I've found nothing on the NZX that appeals to me and in most cases, a lot of it is rigged and massive lack of liquidity. Any person with a million $ position will have a tough time to enter or exit a particular NZX share without raising an eye and effecting the share price. and if you do it slowly, the brokers are happy to charge commissions.. and annual account fees, etc.

But seriously speaking, there's not a lot to be gained as a NZ tax resident to be playing in US equities as the $50K threshold balance is very small.
    The lock up periods are getting shorter while the key employee allocation timeline is getting longer. Your NZX comments are so true, lack of liquidity, I still have the tax advantages for now. It does seem so wrong to limit the opportunity for NZ tax residents of overseas holdings through the FIF regime. Financial literacy and independence appear never fully considered in the tax laws.

Lyft sagging has affected the Uber price set.

Wow Uber are still losing $1B per quarter.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....