sharetrader

Thread: SCL or SEK?

Default SCL or SEK?

A while ago some dog posted a fun thread along people If they preferred OCA or MPG. Its was just for kicks, as the shares had nothing in common but their dollar value. It was a good thread.

So, on the same ilk, just for fun, i thought id throw out the same question of SCL and SEK. They're both about $5 a share. Both agri related. Which do you like and why? What's going to be worth more by Dec 19?

Friends will be lost. Enemies will be made. LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post
    A while ago some dog posted a fun thread along people If they preferred OCA or MPG. Its was just for kicks, as the shares had nothing in common but their dollar value. It was a good thread.

So, on the same ilk, just for fun, i thought id throw out the same question of SCL and SEK. They're both about $5 a share. Both agri related. Which do you like and why? What's going to be worth more by Dec 19?

Friends will be lost. Enemies will be made. LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!
    I chose not to chose and hold roughly the same % in my portfolio....4.1 & 3.7%.
    Both are nice investments in New Zealand's productive agriculture sector.
    I've held Scales since end of '14 beginning of 15; they have been most rewarding with a 245% gain....now carrying free as I sold some to keep the % of my portfolio under 5. Both are at the whim of NZ's climate, disease, labour shortages etc. So share a lot of the same risks.

I prefer SCALES business model of owning (most of) the apple orchards themselves, over SEK where growers are contracted and given "golden hand cuffs to stay loyal.

I wouldn't go overweight in either of these companies.
    Last edited by RTM; 15-04-2019 at 08:52 PM. Reason: typo

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Why choose? Personally, I have both, and am happy with both. And I'd like to add more companies!

As I see it, New Zealand is a country which is good at growing food for other people. And yet not, perhaps, so good at making money from doing so.

It's a puzzle. . .