sharetrader
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Cbf with libraries
    this sort of stuff is interesting http://nzh.tw/12226341
    and already read some local sport articles and.of course business. It also includes the Wanganui chronicle which I have an interest in.
    I pay for The Economist, Stratfor, as well as Apple Music, so am comfy with paying for media services
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

I don't even pay for watching all the GoT episodes since the beginning so if you can get the news online or somewhere, why pay?

like the Buffet article...direcrt from the FT but also available elsewhere for free...would be worth it if they had unique, quality, and timely articles, but they don't.

Not going to link to any of the many tools to bypass it, but the paywall has been implemented in a way that is trivial to bypass. I've seen links to at least 5 tools that bypass it in two clicks or less.
    Don't think i'll be paying, not planning on downloading the bypass tools either. Pity, I like the herald layout more than Stuff, but for now Stuff might be where I go for day to day news headlines.

Edit: it can also be bypassed without downloading anything in about 10 key presses and two mouse clicks (on chrome, but should be about the same on all browsers).
    Last edited by Vagabond47; 01-05-2019 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond47 View Post
    Not going to link to any of the many tools to bypass it, but the paywall has been implemented in a way that is trivial to bypass.
    Just tried something and was a bit disappointed with how easy it was to bypass without any browser extension or effort. But for most people it'll still be out of reach.

Disc; I'm a software dev.

Honestly I find it a bit disappointing that people who create intellectual property don't respect it when others do so.
    The digitalization of the world really has caused havoc for the Fourth Estate. Before the internet (when wages were much lower) I was happy to pay $30 a month for the paper
    Think of all that news gathering, editing, printing, and even the paper boy delivering - what value.

Now it seems we're all too stingy to pay $5 a week. Admittedly the costs of printing aren't a factor anymore (for most of us) but somebody has to find out all that stuff and put it into words. Quickly, repeatedly, imaginatively. We're not talking Pulitzer Prize here. just local journalism I really don't mind supporting dear old Granny - The New Zealand Herald.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

What's it worth to have a half-way decent New Zealand newspaper?

It's all very well d*cking about trying to beat the paywall, but if they don't turn a buck, they're gone.

And once they're gone, what are you left with?

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Cbf with libraries
    this sort of stuff is interesting http://nzh.tw/12226341
    and already read some local sport articles and.of course business. It also includes the Wanganui chronicle which I have an interest in.
    I pay for The Economist, Stratfor, as well as Apple Music, so am comfy with paying for media services
    Stratfor look interesting, have you tried The Diplomat (www.diplomat.com) or the South China Morning Post for Asia.

Guru

i wont be paying , business section not good enough
    bull

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    i wont be paying , business section not good enough
    I see lots of general news items on the NZH are now marked premium.

For free sites I will now use Stuff, SMH, BBC, The Guardian and a web search on a particular topic. If I pay for a NZ site it will be most likely be the NBR.

Permanent Newbie

Reading this thread I feel like I am living it up paying to get my paper delivered every morning. My online access is part of my sub not that I read online. NZ Herald possibly the best newspaper in NZ.

Although NBR might be better for an investor.

A lot of fluff and irrelevant news but that is true of any news organisation and seems to be what people want to read anyway.

Disclaimer I hold no NZME shares but will be looking more closely after the crash (any day now).

No idea if this works but the joke is they spent $1.2m creating the paywall
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “In a roaring bull market, knowledge is superfluous and experience is a handicap.”

–Benjamin Graham”

Quote Originally Posted by winner69 View Post
    No idea if this works but the joke is they spent $1.2m creating the paywall
    It works. Even with my Elders Certificate in Googling qualification I have the skills to do this.

Appallingly simple!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    NZ Herald possibly the best newspaper in NZ.
    And that's the problem.. its rubbish. We don't have any good newspapers in NZ.

Permanent Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond47 View Post
    And that's the problem.. its rubbish. We don't have any good newspapers in NZ.
    What does a good newspaper look like then?