sharetrader
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default NZ Herald digital subscription

It's been in the wind for a while now....any thoughts....still not sure whether I'll part with $5 per week just yet.

percy

Quote Originally Posted by ari View Post
    It's been in the wind for a while now....any thoughts....still not sure whether I'll part with $5 per week just yet.
    I used to read the business pages of The Australian every morning.
    Have not read it since it went subscription.
    I read The Herald business section every morning.
    I will not be subscribing to The Herald.
    Every now and again I have a very quick look through the library's NBRs.Do appear to miss anything by not subscribing.
    Scoop business and sharetrader morning update will do me.
    Having access to listed companies' announcements is where I make most of my decisions.

Guru

I won't.

Guru

Just avoiding the Herald from now. Easy really.

Membaa

Disproportionate, business section especially but also sports hit hard by paywall interventions. Might have to live without the Herald it seems. Bold move, but let's see how readership fares.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Baa_Baa View Post
    Disproportionate, business section especially but also sports hit hard by paywall interventions. Might have to live without the Herald it seems. Bold move, but let's see how readership fares.
    I reckon at $5 per month they'd generate a lot more income than they will at $5 per week.

Might be right fp, looking at the site there is an awful lot marked as premium - thought you do get the first 100 words! - Wonder if they have changed their writing so you don't get the main point in the first 100 words :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Might be right fp, looking at the site there is an awful lot marked as premium
    That's my main problem. They've made the non-premium version unreadable by having massive premium stamps everywhere. Within 10 mins I deleted the NZHerald bookmark in my browser (which I had been meaning to do for a long time due to a continuing decline in quality)

Likewise haven't got time to muck around with this carry on. I suppose it may be back to stuff.

Legend

I havent used Granny Herald as a news source but this thread encouraged me to go over and have a look. Having a look on their business page nothing there I would be interested in looking at, let alone paying for. Anything that did spark an interest I'd use an alternative source - eg Herald wont have a monopoly of the new Google is taking a $100nb hit.

That said $5 a week seems pretty reasonable. Whats that? a beer, a couple of fags or a Womans Weekly. Herald is probably better value.

Dilettante

I cancelled my online NBR subscription yesterday ($35 per month) and signed up for a year with the Herald at $ 199. Will re-evaluate after 12 months.

They've traditionally made revenue from advertising, so this has to work or advertisers will look elsewhere.

im in, the cost of it is trivial and FOMO!
    Only costs 2.50 a week for the first 8 weeks , so will check it out and reevaluate later
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Check out your local library. Many, maybe all, have online access to a huge array of newspapers and magazines. Some are direct access to online versions, others via PressReader which I find less easy to navigate but good for finding specific topics or articles, including historical.

For example Wellington library has access to NY Times online.

Also vast numbers of downloadable eBooks and Audiobooks. Overdrive is the main one that most libraries subscribe to. Libraries in my experience are good about adding suggestions to their elibrary. (No more overdue fines!)

Quote Originally Posted by artemis View Post

For example Wellington library has access to NY Times online.
    Just saw NZHerald article re faulty oxygen regs on Everest, and wished I could see more....Google to the rescue for a few more seconds and I'm reading article in NYTimes.....