I do do understand what you are saying and for start up/emerging companies I would agree with you. But once that company is established I would personally want to get some income from it - either by way of cash dividends or by way of DRIP. The difference between your desire and mine is (and yes I’m making an assumption) is because we are poles apart in terms of our individual financial position/situation. Your investment goals are different to mine, for obvious reasons.

Does any business/company actually ever reach the point where no more growth is possible? How do you make your call on when a company has reached that point?

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
You've missed my point, but that's ok (beginners aren't expected to know). When I look at buying shares in a company, I view it as being a partner of the business. Therefore, the partner's 1st intention should not be to extract dividends from the business, and certainly when the business seeks capital for growth, why elevate un-necessary capital costs that are detrimental to the shareholders (or as I say, to the partnership?). In another way if I was a partner in a business, I would prefer the business to keep the after tax cash and use it for growing the business. Not to expect that cash to be put in my pocket year after year. Then after many years, when the business has fully matured with no growth for expansion, THEN the dividend card be played.