sharetrader
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Cannabis Referendum

The referendum will be a non-binding, yes or no question.

If endorsed by the public the legislation will:

• Legalise personal use and purchase for 20+
    • Only allow sale at a licensed premises
    • Only allow consumption as a licensed premises or private property
    • Will allow limited home growing
    • Ban all advertising for cannabis products

It's a start I guess, but I am disappointed that it's not binding as we where promised. There is no point in wasting tax payers money with non-binding referendums.

Should be binding - we all understand laws are always at the whim of whatever government is at the time.

Disappointed the age isn't 25. (Age could have been left to Select Committee stage)

Disappointed there is no reference that GST made from sales ought to be channeled into health services.

I dont see a problem with consumption wherever you like - subject to current laws.

I dont see a problem with responsible advertising

Disappointed no mentioned made of other "recreational" drugs

Update Ready To Install

Update Ready To Install

Even better , commonsense and facts

https://youtu.be/T9GhJDAmOK4

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Should be binding - we all understand laws are always at the whim of whatever government is at the time.

Disappointed there is no reference that GST made from sales ought to be channeled into health services.
    GST channeled into health services already far outweighs the amount potentially generated from any cannabis sales, so that would be dead easy to do, and would achieve absolutely nothing.

Update Ready To Install

Good to see the draft out now for consideration and tweaking. Common sense prevails.

"There will also be limitations on the potency of cannabis, with the draft legislation specifying the regulator will put limitations of level of THC the products can carry. "

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12290516

Only two plants allowed per person per dwelling. Not much room for error. Who would grow two tomato plants or two corn?
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Default Common sense NONSENSE .....

Quote Originally Posted by Joshuatree View Post
    Good to see the draft out now for consideration and tweaking. Common sense prevails.

"There will also be limitations on the potency of cannabis, with the draft legislation specifying the regulator will put limitations of level of THC the products can carry. "

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12290516
    Who would see to it that the gardeners in my suburb are just growing 2 plants each? Who would police an illegal dealer to have multi-locations? And yeah, let's be Smokefree by 2025 since smoking a joint is better. Voting NO.

Quote Originally Posted by RGR367 View Post
    Who would see to it that the gardeners in my suburb are just growing 2 plants each? Who would police an illegal dealer to have multi-locations? And yeah, let's be Smokefree by 2025 since smoking a joint is better. Voting NO.
    I also will be voting NO, but I am ok with medical cannabis, I believe this is a different debate.

Update Ready To Install

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Only two plants allowed per person per dwelling. Not much room for error. Who would grow two tomato plants or two corn?
    Four per household should be ample one would think. Anything excess to requirements donate it people who need it for pain relief etc.easy.

Update Ready To Install

Quote Originally Posted by RGR367 View Post
    Legallising removes the illegal dealers and gangs selling the stuff in tinny houses's. And more importantly deals to synthetic cannabis which has killed how many people?.But thats not on your radar because they were just homeless people ?

Where on earth do you get your information? Are you seriously saying synthetic cannabis is predominantly used by the homeless? That is absolute nonsense. You seem to just pluck this stuff out of thin air, not unlike a certain President.

There are no guarantees that legalising cannabis will reduce anything. What happens in one country won’t necessarily happen in another. Until it actually happens here, nobody knows how it will pan out. The illegal dealers will still be around - just dealing in other drugs. The proposed rules will be impossible to monitor so easily broken. I think your expectations of huge positive impacts, are unfounded.

Legallising removes the illegal dealers and gangs selling the stuff in tinny houses's. And more importantly deals to synthetic cannabis which has killed how many people?.But thats not on your radar because they were just homeless people ?

Four per household should be ample one would think.
    Your assuming I donít live alone. And even with four ...barely enough imo. I mean if itís legal, why put such a tight limit on it.
    I think itís a shill to the corporates so as to prevent too much homegrown undercutting the Business side of things.

Those people questioning enforceability, that is not the role of legislation, itís pretty common to see people driving while using their phone etc etc.

That’s precisely my point. Making it legal with no manageable or enforceable controls in place is a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Those people questioning enforceability, that is not the role of legislation, it’s pretty common to see people driving while using their phone etc etc.

Guru

Anyone know where medicinal cannabis fits into Little's proposal?

Update Ready To Install

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post
    Where on earth do you get your information? Are you seriously saying synthetic cannabis is predominantly used by the homeless? That is absolute nonsense. You seem to just pluck this stuff out of thin air, not unlike a certain President.

There are no guarantees that legalising cannabis will reduce anything. What happens in one country won’t necessarily happen in another. Until it actually happens here, nobody knows how it will pan out. The illegal dealers will still be around - just dealing in other drugs. The proposed rules will be impossible to monitor so easily broken. I think your expectations of huge positive impacts, are unfounded.

[/B]
    Dont you read the news, a spate of deaths in double figures many of them homeless. If they can access some cannabis from a controlled licensed place thats a much better outcome for them. Synth,its a poverty drug.

"The first deaths from synthetic cannabis were men living rough.Syn city: NZ's deadly designer drugs crisis | Stuff.co.nz

A bit of light relief for this thread
    1192DF74-CFE2-4B46-B7DD-760368E0A3FB.jpg
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Update Ready To Install

Lol i remember that very catchy song hit way back "pass the dutchie to the left hand side" but never understood the meaning. cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Anyone know where medicinal cannabis fits into Little's proposal?
    I would like to know the answer to that as well FP.
    I am all for use for medical use and indeed have someone in my family that would benefit hugely from it but I am certainly against the general use per se.
    It wont matter what rules you put in place, they will generally be ignored so it will be just another drug generally available to cause mayhem in so many families.

Update Ready To Install

"Mayhem " wow,just a little bit of misinformation there. Alcohol ;sure as it turns many people violent in excess not marijuana its a peaceful drug.

Mayhem "violent or extreme disorder, chaos""maliciously harming or injuring someone". That fits alcohol bingeing for sure.
    Last edited by Joshuatree; 04-12-2019 at 11:46 AM.