sharetrader
    Share Collector

Default AUD-NZD Cross rates for IR3 Tax Return

I usually use the IRD posted monthly forex rates for translating AUD dividend income for IR3 return. However, this year, the various links I have tried are circling back to generic pages on the site. I've left a message for IRD, but not yet had an answer. What is everyone else doing?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    I usually use the IRD posted monthly forex rates for translating AUD dividend income for IR3 return. However, this year, the various links I have tried are circling back to generic pages on the site. I've left a message for IRD, but not yet had an answer. What is everyone else doing?
    I used to use those too. Now I use sharesight and they calculate the exchange rate at the time the dividend was paid and so its an actual figure that I am giving the IRD. But that is a heck of a lot of work if you are doing it manually.
    Might be best to wait for the IRD to get back to you.

Banned

You can use the daily spot rate just look at the OFX historical rates and choose daily over whatever period, I do this for trading where I dont want a pile of paperwork at the end of the year.

Share Collector

Thanks - yes, if IRD don't come back, I'll look at OFX.

I've thought about moving to Sharesight a few times, but haven't due to the time required to enter and get up to date...plus various other excuses about needing to run stuff in tandem until I am convinced (plus loss of info if Sharesight were to ever stop running).

The info that IRD has pre-entered this year seems a bit of a random collection, so I'm hoping the exercise isn't too difficult.

Antiquated & irrational t.rexjr's Avatar

I've thought about moving to Sharesight a few times, but haven't due to the time required to enter and get up to date...plus various other excuses about needing to run stuff in tandem until I am convinced (plus loss of info if Sharesight were to ever stop running).

The info that IRD has pre-entered this year seems a bit of a random collection, so I'm hoping the exercise isn't too difficult.
    Sharesight is great, makes tax time as small time trader super easy. Uploading the data is relatively straight forward if doing it manually. Export all the data once complied as a 'just in case'. Saves a lot of hassle for a little hassle

Share Collector

For the record, here's the link, courtesy of IRD

https://www.classic.ird.govt.nz/calc...mid-month.html

Membaa

Sharesight is possibly my best investment, in terms of time saved managing or administering other systems, for a couple of hundy each year I get all my investments (and a few others portfolios) in one place and a few simple reports that my accountant doesn't get paid for producing that satisfies my obligations for reporting returns etc.

It really has been and continues to be a great service that has significantly reduced my accounting and personal administration costs and presents a real-time position, anytime on my investment and trading portfolios. I can't speak highly enough for having such a complete, accurate tool to manage my investment portfolio.

Sharesight offers free use for up to 10 companies. This gives you the ability to use them for fx rates without subscribing if you have a small self managed portfolio. Handy for me.

Veteran novice

For the record, here's the link, courtesy of IRD

https://www.classic.ird.govt.nz/calc...mid-month.html
    Thanks, Lizard. I didn't find this thread before much searching on the IRD site for the mid-month rates! From experience, it seems that it appears later each year!

Good, too, to see you back on sharetrader. May we expect more of your postings?