You pretty much all know my situation now, in terms of my financial situation and beginner investor status. I am learning heaps here so thank you to those of you who have contributed to that. I have come to a few realisations, which I wish it had come to a long time ago but better late than never I guess.

Firstly, as I approach 59 and 65 is getting closer by the day, I realise some of my investment thinking has been flawed. I have felt that at my stage in life I should be “playing it safe” with my money and avoiding any kind of “growth” investment now. I am OK with this as far as my KiwiSaver goes, which is why I have switched my fund to Balanced now. But as far as future investments are concerned I realise there is still sufficient time for me to invest in growth funds - I don’t necessarily need to be looking at conservative investments only. As you know I recently signed up to Sharesies as a way to get cracking and build a small portfolio over the next year, that will then be my “back up” for down the track when I am mid-retirement (alongside my KiwiSaver, which I intend to leave as it at 65 and only draw down for emergencies etc).

So ... I need some advice please. My first Sharesies fund is USF but I now need to think about which other funds would be the best choices to create a small but balanced/diversified portfolio. I am thinking 3 Funds in total at this point. Given that I have the small holding in KFL, which other two Sharesies funds would be my best option? My understanding of the different funds is limited, although I have been reading up on them all, but I would really appreciate some input please. (Apparently Sharesies are rolling out some new funds this week - managed by BlackRock. Not sure what they are yet)

Thanks in advance