sharetrader
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default first home buyer advice

Hey everyone,

I am looking for some advice from people on here who have much more experience and knowledge than me with the NZ housing market. Here's the situation:

I currently have basically all my money in the NZX. I'm fairly happy with how things are and rate of return (~10% average per year through divvies and cap gains). However I am considering purchasing a house to leverage my money, diversify, and reduce housing costs (over the long term). From what I can see, the monthly repayments would be similar to the rent I pay every week. The numbers:
    For $400,000 3 bedroom house with $80K deposit (20%):
    5-year fixed rate mortgage @ 4.39%: $369/week
    Rates: ~$25/week
    Insurance: ~30/week
    Maintenance: ~$30/week
    Total: $454/week

Seems like a no-brainer given the cost is similar to renting, but I'd also be building equity at the same time. Could also rent out the other 2 rooms to offset the mortgage. It seems a bit too easy, so I feel like I must be missing something. I can't trust what mortgage brokers say as they are obviously biased. I'd love to hear some thoughts on the above and if I am over simplifying or missing something altogether.
    Last edited by sanctus671; 08-06-2019 at 08:36 PM.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sanctus671 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I am looking for some advice from people on here who have much more experience and knowledge than me with the NZ housing market. Here's the situation:

I currently have basically all my money in the NZX. I'm fairly happy with how things are and rate of return (~10% average per year through divvies and cap gains). However I am considering purchasing a house to leverage my money, diversify, and reduce housing costs (over the long term). From what I can see, the monthly repayments would be similar to the rent I pay every week. The numbers:

Seems like a no-brainer given the cost is similar to renting, but I'd also be building equity at the same time. Could also rent out the other 2 rooms to offset the mortgage. It seems a bit too easy, so I feel like I must be missing something. I can't trust what mortgage brokers say as they are obviously biased. I'd love to hear some thoughts on the above and if I am over simplifying or missing something altogether.
    If your OE is done go for it.Rates insurance a bit light depending on where you are buying.Even if tight worth it in long run.

Advanced Member

Even without capital gains or paying down principal, mortgage repayments v income quickly start to look attractive. Unless income drops a lot.

Possible help here for first home buyers.

https://www.govt.nz/browse/housing-a...ur-first-home/

I've worked out the #s and from a tax point of view, it's a no brainer to buy NZ real estate. Now that capital gains tax is out of the issue for NZ homes, it's safe to say there's certainty where housing prices will go in the long term future (UP). Don't take my word for it, just go ask the banks why they will allow people to leverage into a home but won't lend towards buying shares on the NZX? and i'm speaking banks will have no problem lending over $1M if your income supports the payments, but they won't even lend $100 towards a direct investment in NZ shares without all collateral requirements. etc.

If you have a home stay, the income from that is also tax free. There's just so many freebies that IRD allows that i'm surprised why people consider with the likes of Kiwi Saver.

Quote Originally Posted by sanctus671 View Post
    Hey everyone,

Yes I think it makes sense even better if you can add some value to the home(Paint, upgraded kitchen, bathrooms, etc) i.e make sure to buy with good bones-- brick/roughcast -steel roof, good sun, good location, your far better of paying a few dollars more to secure a much lower maintenance cost going forward etc ... interest to where you are looking to BUY have done many property transactions over the years.

Also, rates are trending downwards go for the sharpest rate you can find ASB offered me 3.85% 2yr + $4550 cash (for 600k debt re-finance)

Also great idea if you only need one room even lookout for 4brd many time not much more in cost but can add several thousand more in income pa ... you could rent 1-2 rooms and airBNB the 3rd-4th

In hindsight I wish I held onto my first property was only 24yrs old build two story 3brd upstairs -2 bed flat underneath back in the early 2000's in Queenstown total loan was only 500k!! look at it now https://homes.co.nz/address/queensto...re-place/1jjLp

Should have just rented out all the rooms and flat would have paid all the out goings and these days the flat would bring in $500-600pw
    and instead of paying for a room and rent I could have just paid down the loan ... but young and dumb took a quick 200k Cap gain at auction ..
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu

Quote Originally Posted by JBmurc View Post

In hindsight I wish I held onto my first property was only 24yrs old build two story 3brd upstairs -2 bed flat underneath back in the early 2000's in Queenstown total loan was only 500k!! look at it now https://homes.co.nz/address/queensto...re-place/1jjLp

Should have just rented out all the rooms and flat would have paid all the out goings and these days the flat would bring in $500-600pw
    and instead of paying for a room and rent I could have just paid down the loan ... but young and dumb took a quick 200k Cap gain at auction ..
    You have to remember, where else did you put that $200K gain for a return? This is why I think investing in NZ real estate is so important with a clear advantage over other areas of investing ; namely NZ shares. You don't hear of those selling up their home to buy shares but you do hear those selling up shares (ie converting the gains of Kiwisaver into the 1st home program) to buy real estate.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and you can never turn back time. The same can be said on how much gain certain shares have gone over the past 15 years. I remember when Amazon.com was at $15/share... (shortly after the dot com crash) now around $1800 USD.

Guru

As the mortgage is paid down the borrowing power of the mortgage can be used to buy shares as well

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    As the mortgage is paid down the borrowing power of the mortgage can be used to buy shares as well
    You've got to be kidding. No bank is going to lend on the equity of the house AT comparable mortgage rates. Sure at 10 or 15% but not at 4% that we see for home mortgages. Even greater consideration, who would assume that risk of paying 10% on the loan hoping to earn 15% or 20% on shares? That's not how the lending market works. Because if that was true, then the whole lending industry would not care about mortgages and instead, buy shares directly for the greater returns. They don't lend because the risk is extremely high compared to lending on houses. Consider a business plan on what the banks require to lend. But it's highly probably the person that earns their own income from a business will have no problems buying a house. Buying shares is the last thing they would consider in terms of investments. It makes me wonder why people are in Kiwi Saver to begin with if they don't own a home over their head.

Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
    You've got to be kidding. No bank is going to lend on the equity of the house AT comparable mortgage rates. Sure at 10 or 15% but not at 4% that we see for home mortgages. Even greater consideration, who would assume that risk of paying 10% on the loan hoping to earn 15% or 20% on shares? That's not how the lending market works. Because if that was true, then the whole lending industry would not care about mortgages and instead, buy shares directly for the greater returns. They don't lend because the risk is extremely high compared to lending on houses. Consider a business plan on what the banks require to lend. But it's highly probably the person that earns their own income from a business will have no problems buying a house. Buying shares is the last thing they would consider in terms of investments. It makes me wonder why people are in Kiwi Saver to begin with if they don't own a home over their head.
    If you mortgage your house, how would the bank stop you buying shares with the proceeds? Also, margin lending rates are significantly lower than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by kiora View Post
    Exactly what I have done .. the way I see it is my share trading company invests the bank's funds at a cost of the going rate as I have good equity I'm currently looking to refix the 250k @ 3.85% 2yr fixed ... I'm confident I can do better than 3.85% pa

Also looking to receive a 4.5k cash bonus for a shift to another bank .. but must stay with that bank for 3yrs have received over $10k in cash over the years
    "With a good perspective on history, we can have a better understanding of the past and present, and thus a clear vision of the future." — Carlos Slim Helu