sharetrader
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cordless Lawn mowers

Anyone has any experience with cordless electric lawn mowers?

Seems to be 3 main brands, that you can swap batteries in and out with other tools such as blower vacs/hedge trimmers etc of the same brand.
    - Stihl
    - Ryobi
    - E GO
    Will be using the mulching setting majority of the time.
    Have a relatively flat lawn of about 300-350m2 in total, no idea on type of grass, except there is a bit of kikuyu grass and in summer paspalum also (this is not a manicured lawn- looks OK from a distance once mowed with your glasses off

Intention is when we get one will replace the other tools when they die with same brand so we can swap batteries in and out
    Have read a few reviews of each, however seem to be an equal number of wouldn't buy one again and best thing since sliced bread for each brand. Some are not very recent, so could be/should be improvement's since publishing.
    Stihl and Ryobi about the same price, EGO more expensive , though has a 56V battery compared to 36v for the other two

Last edited by minimoke; 22-06-2019 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Deleted by Minimoke in response to STMOD censorship of posts

Advanced Member

I bought a EGO brushcutter/linetrimmer about 6 months ago and I am very pleased with it. Unfortunately I haven't got any experience with their mower. I have a steep section which was covered with weeds and gorse that I cleared with the brushcutter blade, now I mainly use the linetrimmer head to keep the regrowth in check. It has the power to do what I need and is exactly as they advertise - 40min run time and a 40min charge time. Because my section is a fair size I need 2 recharges to complete it, so it does add to the time to do the job. That would be my major concern with the mower, how many charges would you need to finish your lawn? When/if I get the mower I would probably look at a second battery so I could charge one while using the other.

Quote Originally Posted by minimoke View Post
    Hopeless! Or I should say OK if you have a short dry handkerchief sized lawn. Dont handle wet long, thick grass at all well. If you miss a cut during spring growth you'll be knackered the following week - unless you put it on very high cut and work down several times to preferred length. With the trusty petrol mower you just give it a bit more juice! Also seems to create a bit more thatch - perhaps doesn't through clippings into container as well.
    Which brand of electric mower are you referring to MM?

Last edited by minimoke; 22-06-2019 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Deleted by Minimoke in response to STMOD censorship of posts

That was one of the models I am considering, though having a look tonight I see there is another bigger one yhat I did not realise also does mulching.
    Found some local reviews as well, - on geekzone, Rybobi seems to get the best ups
    Won't be me doing the mowing most of the time, our son will be, will save me eventually as we get someone to do it at present
    Last edited by Jay; 17-06-2019 at 10:10 PM. Reason: english

Last edited by minimoke; 22-06-2019 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Deleted by Minimoke in response to STMOD censorship of posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Anyone has any experience with cordless electric lawn mowers?

Seems to be 3 main brands, that you can swap batteries in and out with other tools such as blower vacs/hedge trimmers etc of the same brand.
    - Stihl
    - Ryobi
    - E GO
    Will be using the mulching setting majority of the time.
    Have a relatively flat lawn of about 300-350m2 in total, no idea on type of grass, except there is a bit of kikuyu grass and in summer paspalum also (this is not a manicured lawn- looks OK from a distance once mowed with your glasses off

Intention is when we get one will replace the other tools when they die with same brand so we can swap batteries in and out
    Have read a few reviews of each, however seem to be an equal number of wouldn't buy one again and best thing since sliced bread for each brand. Some are not very recent, so could be/should be improvement's since publishing.
    Stihl and Ryobi about the same price, EGO more expensive , though has a 56V battery compared to 36v for the other two
    Morrison Hand Mower,works a treat on our small lawn
    Can often pick up one cheap at any recycle center to start with to see if suits
    https://morrisonoutdoor.co.nz/produc...nd-mower-400-1
    But considering electric robo lawn mower on our other property.I just don't know if it could handle the Kikuyu
    Last edited by kiora; 18-06-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stoploss View Post
    Don't think it would work that well on most lawns, a nice manicured lawn maybe and like a robo vacuum not many if any obstacles in the way!
    Plus as one does, at least initially, like a robo vacuum cleaner, you sit there and watch it all day and thereby not saving you any time at all.
    Discl: Don't have either, have been to a extended family member who has a robo vacuum and I did sit and watch it and trying to work out its logic as it goes all over the place in some random pattern eventually covering all the floor.

Guru

I had unreal grass laid. Possibly the best decision I ever made. Now I've got one perfectly good 4 stroke mower surplus to requirements and it's only about 50 years old.

http://unrealgrass.co.nz/?gclid=Cj0K...gaAh4mEALw_wcB
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 18-06-2019 at 03:11 PM.

I have the E Go electric mower and it works adequately for my 510m2 section. I say adequately because minimokes criticisms are valid but that doesnt matter so much to me and I prefer the clean electric power with no petrol or oil involved at any stage. I also have the line trimmer and hedge trimmer attachments which all operate from the same battery. I can usually get a trim and a mow in off the one charge but sometimes I will need a recharge which doesnt really matter to me. As MM says it does pay to keep on top of the lawn mowing but you can catch up (higher notch initially) or force your way through the longer grass and thats when you may need a recharge. You cant mow when its raining and its best to let the grass dry out before mowing.

I love being able to stop and start the mower without any effort or risk of it not starting again - that was always my experience with motor mowers that if you stopped them sometimes they wouldnt restart.
    The EGO is not for rugged lawns but its okay for small sections and works for me.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    I love being able to stop and start the mower without any effort or risk of it not starting again - that was always my experience with motor mowers that if you stopped them sometimes they wouldnt restart.
    The EGO is not for rugged lawns but its okay for small sections and works for me.
    I have a 400 sq metre flat section with a fescue front lawn and a largely kikuyu back yard lawn - I have a Victa 4 stroke power with a Briggs and Stratton engine which replaced the 15 year old Victa mower that I passed to my father when I noted that his one had developed fist sized holes in the body... the newer Briggs and Stratton engines 4 strokes don't need priming and start mostly on the first pull and if not certainly on the second. The fescue lawn had been well manicured until Chorus dug it up to lay the UFB and I've been having an ongoing battle with paspalum and dock ever since.

The back lawn is mostly a very hard wearing kikuyu jungle (but at least it is green year round) and I expect my mower to deal with it as well as shred up the hedge clippings and fruit tree prunings before I put them into the compost bins... it did a really good job on the most of the less than finger thick prunings off the olive tree as well - I doubt any of the electric mowers would deal with that usage.

And I have a 1976 Masport 4 stroke rotary hoe to till the vege garden which we gave Dad brand new that he's given me... now that needs a good dose of 'Start Ya Bastard' (https://www.nulon.com.au/products/ae...engine-starter) down the carby throat after unscrewing the air cleaner before it will fire but once it's running then I can tell you it's a helluva lot less labour than double digging with a shovel and my clay based soil is friable and ready for planting in around 1/4 of the time. I have also have a 16 inch 2 stroke chainsaw.

On the electric battery side, I have a Bosch 18V hedge trimmer and a weed whacker (along with a corded 240v Ryobi one) - the hedge trimmer is great, the weed whacker is light weight and suffices for light duty work but if it's a jungle then it's a long cord and the 240v one. I have thought about swapping out my crappy battery electric drill at some stage with a Bosch one so I can lever the 3 batteries but the s#%^ one hasn't broken yet but it's taking longer to charge and doesn't last as long so it's just a matter of time.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I had unreal grass laid. Possibly the best decision I ever made. Now I've got one perfectly good 4 stroke mower surplus to requirements and it's only about 50 years old.

http://unrealgrass.co.nz/?gclid=Cj0K...gaAh4mEALw_wcB
    Oh I definitely want the golf one! That would be awesome!!!

***rushes home to talk to the missus and check points balance***