sharetrader
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ha ha ha! ... this one definitely applies to me too

Quote Originally Posted by Vaygor1 View Post
    Regular posting will help you to become more succinct <-- I mean that nicely.
    Last edited by justakiwi; 13-07-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaygor1 View Post
    All good Bobby. Just a few things for you to note:

When you post, you do not have to give advice.
    You can ask questions, or could just state your view on something, or respond with your view on something.
    You can post facts, or perceived facts.
    By miles, you will learn the most by writing posts. It forces you to think.
    You will discover how easily you can be misunderstood, and you will improve dramatically as a result.
    The (collective) responses you get from your posts will positively help you adjust your views.
    The act of writing and receiving responses may well end up positively adjusting your investing style itself, much more so than just reading.
    Regular posting will help you to become more succinct <-- I mean that nicely.

All the above applied (and continues to apply) to me.

Yes I'm aware of some of the points you touched on and others are things that I will consider in the future. They are good points to note, thank you.
    Last edited by BobbyMorocco; 14-07-2019 at 12:23 AM. Reason: I wrote something that I decided was unnecessary so I deleted it ;)

Quote Originally Posted by justakiwi View Post

You are right about this, and yes, it is something that I do think about. Not about “will there be a crash?” because I’m pretty sure there will be at some point. But more about what would the right course of action be for me. As a beginner that is very difficult to know unless we have someone knowledgeable and trustworthy to advise us. Right now my thinking if that happens, is sit tight and ride it out BUT that didn’t work many years ago when I held a few Brierley shares. I knew absolutely nothing back then. Even less than I do now. I should have had an exit strategy in place and should have got out before the price dropped so low there was nothing left to sell.

I don’t know what the answer is. As beginners we learn by watching and listening to more experienced people like some of you here. We can read and research online, but we have to actually to take a leap and get started, otherwise we would talk ourselves out of it. I’ve done that in the past and regret it now. So I honestly don’t know the answer to your question “How will you know and what will you do about it?” The reality is, I have no one to advise me or teach me. So I come here and try to learn as much as I can, sort the wheat from the chaff then get brave and put some of what I’ve learned into practice. I am well aware everything I do in terms of investing, is a risk. But what is the alternative? For me, in my particular situation, doing nothing hasn’t been working too well.

Might be a dumb question but are there any “general rule of thumb” guidelines around how low you let a share price go before you decide its time to get out? I don’t mean every day ups and downs, but major downward spirals that show no signs of stopping. Like when do you make a move - when the price drops 20%, 30%, 50% etc (and stays dropped).

Now I really sound like I haven’t got a clue. Might be time for bed
    The ultimate questions really aren't they isn't it. Should I have an exit strategy. At what point do I bail.

There is no answer but I suspect that speculators must carefully hone their exit strategy, whereas long term portfolio builders not so much.
    If you have say 12-15 investments in your portfolio and one goes to zero its unfortunate but will be compensated for , and more, by (hopefully) one going to 1000%
    But if you are putting a third or more of your portfolio into one company and it starts to go south then reach for the life raft.

Quality shares are the best strategy in this time of 'permanent crash-fear'

Regarding buying some shares in Sharesies. I bought VGL
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Guru

Concur there PEAT

Regarding any upcoming crash if & when & how much it happens

Consider 2 strategies over the term of the investment period

What would be the likely outcome if you were to go long?

What would the likely outcome if you go short?