sharetrader
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Collection House - CLH - Chart

I am keen to learn more about Technical Analysis. With my limted TA knowledge I see CLH has been in an underlying uptrend since March, which has just been reconfirmed with a breakout(?) through the latest short downtrend. Plus RSI seems to be rising.
    Is someone (Phaedrus?)able to comment on other indicators to use for someone at TA learning level, and also post a chart (as I have not managed to work out how to do that bit yet!).
    Thanks in advance.

Offshore, I've learnt pretty much all I know off Phaedrus, so I don't profess any high level of proficiency, however, here are two charts.

This first shows CLH's entire share history. Rather than focussing on anything too micro, I've plotted a zig-zag line which shows an all time high, followed by a low, by a lower high, a lower low, and a continuing sequence of lower lows and lower highs -- trending down over the long term. This is also illustrated by the 500 day moving average. You'll also see that there was perhaps a period of optimism mid 04 to the end of 05. It was a long time before the next lower low.

Here is a slightly shorter chart, but you'll note a previous level of support at around 1.28, which CLH broke through in March 06. A break above this line would be a better omen, and the OBV seems to be increasing as well. That's a very long term approach, and this may be a turn-around story, but I've found it easier to buy into stocks that are long term going up.

Thanks for the memories limegreen .... CLH sure was a winner post float .... didn't take long at all going from 140 to over 500 ...... it was a good ride while it lasted

I recall this was one of the favourite stocks on the other channel when it was thriving .... one of stollies favourites as well .... I think he did very well out of it.
    “ At the top of every bubble, everyone is convinced it's not yet a bubble.”

Thanks Limegreen thats very interesting to see a longer term chart - I had been focussing on the 1 year chart so you have shown a new perspective.

I have not used the OBV indicator - any idea where I can accesss this on a free chart site? I usually use Direct broking super charts, but cannot find OBV there.

CLH closed up again today.

It's always worth looking at where a share has been (in this case it's entire history). I've often found that moving averages going down don't always fit going up the same, but it's still useful to see how your selected indicators would have performed in the past.

Phaedrus is a big fan of OBV (hence my interest). bigcharts provide OBV, as does reuters charting facility (I forget the url).

A bit of discussion on CLH on another recent thread

Profit upgrade yesterday and the shareprice went close to $1

Make a few on this forum happy

Advanced Member

Collection house may be in the debt collecting buisness , however maybe they should be more concerned about the level of their own debt
    Last edited by ratkin; 20-01-2010 at 10:33 AM.

LOL and here comes the walking contrary indicator.

Buy, buy, buy folks.

Disc : CLH
    ----
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.
    ----

Advanced Member

I am thinking about buying some more CLH because I think that they might be ripe for some corporate action soon. Not a very liquid stock due to directors owning approx 40% of the company. My limited technical abilities would indicate a "buy"? I appreciate any input.

Advanced Member

Default CLH Charts.

CLH has triggered recent Buy signals, Simla, as marked on the chart below.

Let's take a look at a longer-term chart, though. CLH is in a downtrend, within a nice tidy trend channel. Who knows how far this will run? Some people think that buying downtrending stocks is a good idea. I am not one of them!

How good are those "buy" signals likely to be? The only thing we can do is see how well they have worked in the past. Here all previous "buy" signals are marked with green arrows. They would have had you buying all the way down this ongoing downtrend. Longer term trend indicators would have kept you out.

I found your post quite worrying, Simla. You say "I am thinking about buying some more CLH" It would appear that you are :-
    (1) Hanging on to a stock that is in a clear downtrend.
    (2) Considering adding to this holding (ie averaging down).
    (3) Prepared to buy a downtrending stock.

We all have different rules, I guess, but this breaks 3 of mine!