sharetrader

Default Buying US shares on the ASX - TraCRs

I notice on the commsec site you can buy some of the big name US companies on the ASX. They are called TraCRs. TraCRs, or Transferable Custody Receipts, are securities exclusively quoted on Chi-X, the innovative securities and derivatives exchange that delivers local and global opportunities for Australian investors. TraCRs give Australian investors access to the benefits of owning US shares in some of the world’s biggest brands.

The advantage is they are held in CHESS so no custodial fees. You buy them just like buying a stock on the ASX. Everything is settled in australian dollars. They always have market makers so liquidity should not be an issue. No hassles of opening more accounts.
    My question is does anyone on this site invest in these and would you recommend these.

This is interesting. Would TraCRs be qualified under NZ's FIF exemption? How are they exempt of fees? Even in the US buying foreign stocks such as Alibaba are done via ADR and impose an annual pass through fee of 1 to 3 cents/share.

the simplicity of this attracts me. Just buy like an australian share and with
    the same brokerage rates whereas I pay custodial fees and at least 1% brokerage using nz broker