sharetrader
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    IMO

Yep if you really want to start now,dripped in over time as the Bull mkt is looking dodgy , stale atm. Id be tempted to sit and watch for the next month or so and leave the cash earning a little interest(its low but so is inflation). The signs of a big correction/possible flight to safety (indeed happening now) could accelerate anytime. Our reserve bank taking off .5 % of the cash rate is a pretty big flag imo. All about ones level of risk and ones level of reward.

Its time in the market but getting the timing right (roughly) will magnify returns manyfold.

I have personally recently pulled several of my more speculative shares in favour of higher yielding, more stable shares. I went for the Smartshares DIV ETF, which as it happens invests in AIA reasonably heavily. I also hold GDX Gold producers ETF and PMGOLD but I don't intend on holding these for 10 years (at least I hope not!)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hogie View Post
    Investing for the long term is ALWAYS a wise choice ... only the investors that are in it for the short term get burnt when things go bad.

If you are worried about a "crash" then invest in a solid company with solid dividends (e.g. AIA?) .
    Not always is long term ALWAYS a wise choice, plenty of trainwrecks like WYN/IQE/PPL/CBL etc where people took a long term position and got completely skunked. You can also get skunked if you pay too much for long term solid divvy paying companies. PS-I wouldn't buy any of the blue chip divvy paying companies at the moment excepting a couple and certainly not AIA.
    Last edited by couta1; 08-08-2019 at 05:17 PM.

IMO

Just the risk of doing it near/at a top atm imo. Why not wait and see how this pans out. Long way down . I personally would not do any lump sum investing atpit but thats just my opinion

If you feed <= $1000 or <= $2000 at a time, asb charge <= $150 to buy $10k worth.

That will give the advantage of spreading the risk of buy in timing (especially with all the dumb stuff from trump, Brexit and Jacinda to deal with), and also enable you to diversify.

Personally, I don't like EFTs.

For a bit and hold strategy my spread would be selected from the following picks, based on value investing at the time:

NZX.AIA (i haven't looked into how expensive these are currently)
    NZX.POT (pricey at the moment...as always... but strange times may present a bargain)
    NZX.NPH (I'd buy these if the price drops within the next 6 months)
    ASX.LVT (good growth for at least the next 2 years. You could buy then sell after a few years to buy something else. I'd buy a small parcel now, then average down on trump's next news )
    NZX.SEK
    NZX.ATM (USA currently kicked out the major market, despite currency I expect Chinese to pay for the superior milk for their lil emperors. With usa kicked out, China poses less industry threat with recent decisions to aim for a percentage of the market to be locally sourced)
    NZX.EBO (Boring share... in a good way)
    NZX.SUM (some property exposure)
    NZX.SCL (not super excited with these at the moment, but good in a long hold)
    NZX FPH (I'm not that excited about these right now, but would buy in a crash if nothing else interested me at the time. I feel like their priced in for too much of the available market, but a well run company)

Itd be nice to have some retail stock in there, but id be fearful of disruption in a long hold portfolio.

1.2% extra isn't much to pay for the benefits of diversity and being able to derisk by averaging down.

You can invest directly in Smartshares monthly with a one off $30 account opening fee, and after that no further transaction costs. You get instant diversification and 31 different ETFs to choose from. Why pay the extra 1.2%?

Because you can choose your investment which i prefer (i accept that some would prefer not to). Also there isn't a hidden management fee of someone managing the ETF.

Personally i just don't like managed funds, I find the return is lower than the stocks I pick for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post

NZX.AIA (i haven't looked into how expensive these are currently) VERY EXPENSIVE
    NZX.POT (pricey at the moment...as always... but strange times may present a bargain) VERY EXPENSIVE
    NZX.EBO (Boring share... in a good way) QUITE EXPENSIVE CURRENTLY BUT YEH A GOOD COMPANY (As all the above are too)

Itd be nice to have some retail stock in there, but id be fearful of disruption in a long hold portfolio.HALLENSTEINS - BEEN AROUND FOR 120 YEARS. IS THAT LONG ENOUGH?
    My comments above in red
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Lewylewylewy View Post
    Because you can choose your investment which i prefer (i accept that some would prefer not to). Also there isn't a hidden management fee of someone managing the ETF.

Personally i just don't like managed funds, I find the return is lower than the stocks I pick for myself.
    But the question posed at the start of this thread was quite specific and for a person not used to share trading. No doubt in my mind that a well diversified ETF such as US500 would be quite appropriate for his/her situation, drip fed in over several months.
    Last edited by iceman; 09-08-2019 at 08:13 PM.