Quote Originally Posted by SBQ View Post
If I had no overseas experience and background and just lived in NZ only knowing about NZ options for investment; then I would only invest in NZ real estate. For the simple reason of tax free capital gains.

You should see what people do for retirement & investment planning in N. America. It makes NZ look like a joke, seriously Kiwi Saver? A vehicle of retirement planning where the managed funds pay tax on their gains annually + mgt fees? In Canada registered accounts compound TAX FREE every year. Upon drawing funds out of the portfolio / account, then you pay the tax on the gains. Want to sell $20K or $200K of stocks is entirely up to you to reflect your level of income on that year. Because in Kiwi Saver what point is being at age 70 with an account that has grown little despite withdrawals are tax free?

Hence, the key reason why NZ real estate is still the #1 form of investment for people in NZ. If Jacinda had put in capital gains tax in NZ, then perhaps capital would flee from NZ. She must of figured this out so called off the CGT despite the TWG advising NZ should have CGT.
SBQ, I think you've been misinformed. You don't pay any capital gains tax on shares in NZ if they're held in a PIE fund (which pretty much all NZ based managed funds, ETFs and Kiwisaver funds are), or if you're classed as a long term investor rather than a trader.