sharetrader
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re FNZ I am still trying to understand the underperformance vs NZ50. Presume it's a factor of the FNZ while supposedly mimicking the Index being hamstrung by the Index being supported mainly by 3 or 4 shares

FNZ tracks the S&PNZX 50 Portfolio Index which caps individual stocks at 5%. As a result the fund is very underweight FPH and ATM, and overweight smaller and mid cap stocks. Over recent months the massive performance of FPH and ATM has led to a big difference between the Portfolio index and the NZX 50 Gross Index.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    If you buy Smartshares through Sharesies there are no fees or brokerage either.
    Same for InvestNow (no fees, brokerage); higher minimum investment than Sharesies.

But they may not have those new funds initially.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Tronald Dump View Post
    FNZ tracks the S&PNZX 50 Portfolio Index which caps individual stocks at 5%. As a result the fund is very underweight FPH and ATM, and overweight smaller and mid cap stocks. Over recent months the massive performance of FPH and ATM has led to a big difference between the Portfolio index and the NZX 50 Gross Index.
    You got it in one. I phoned Smartshares a while ago and they explained in depth their methodology. I did know from 10-15 years ago that FNZ had a 5% cap but it had slipped my mind. But that is the reason it has under performed. That said over time things should revert to the mean....

I now buy my NZ50 through Simplicity, they charge less management fees. I buy TWF and OZY through Investnow. But the OZY is OZ top 20, so would be interested in the one that covers 200 companies, more diversity.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pipi View Post
    I now buy my NZ50 through Simplicity, they charge less management fees. I buy TWF and OZY through Investnow. But the OZY is OZ top 20, so would be interested in the one that covers 200 companies, more diversity.
    Vanguard, (you can buy them on the ASX) have a whole range of different funds. Not sure if they have an ALL Ords but surely they would have one better than just OZY. I too found OZY too restrictive in just 20 top Aussie stocks.

Reincarnated Panthera Snow Leopard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chickens View Post
    I have ordered some of the new SmartShare Core ETFs - NZG, which is similar to the existing FNZ (NZX50 ETF)

The new Core Series of SmartShares are scheduled to be launched on 15 July.

Is anyone else participating in the introductory (no setup fees) offer?
    More Smartshare ETFs !

The way the NZX is going it will consist entirely of ETFs !!
    om mani peme hum

Quote Originally Posted by blackcap View Post
    Vanguard, (you can buy them on the ASX) have a whole range of different funds. Not sure if they have an ALL Ords but surely they would have one better than just OZY. I too found OZY too restrictive in just 20 top Aussie stocks.
    VAS is the ticker for Vanguard's ASX 200 ETF. IOZ is for Blackrock's ASX200 iShares ETF.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    More Smartshare ETFs !

haha I know what you mean. To be fair though, I think just recently the money in passive funds is as much as that in active funds. So there is a place for them. And to have them listed is an additional benefit to the investor.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Leopard View Post
    More Smartshare ETFs !

For context there are approx. 720 unlisted managed funds in NZ! In the US, there are approx. 2000 listed ETFs and a total of around 4000 listed companies (so ETFs are ~33% of the market). There will be 35 Smartshares ETFs after these new funds are launched and there are 130 listed companies, so in NZ ETFs are ~21% of the market.