sharetrader
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Coping with older Pets.

https://dogshealthproblems.com/end-s...ilure-in-dogs/

We had three Sydney Silky Terriers from the same litter, lost one to a nasty lung cancer two years ago, another to another cancer a couple of months ago and now the last remaining one, my favourite has the above problem. He's 13 years 2 months and the average life expectancy of Silky Terriers is 12.5 years according to our Vet.
    He's had a good life and for most of it has had his two brothers to play with and keep him company.

Basil has all the problems listed in the article including occasional collapsing, (when he gets too excited around the grandkids) and difficulty breathing.

Have been to the Vet several times and he's on a range of medications to relive his symptoms, all of which are expensive, especially the heart pills ! Vet has been very kind and gave Basil a very thorough 45 minute check over last time, (not too bad when it was only a 15 minute appointment) ! Says he's in sort of okay shape for now but watch his breathing as the inevitable runs it course, see last sentence and first sentence of the enclosed link.

Once he goes over 40 breaths per minute on average based on a number of different observations spread over a number of days, that's his time, when life has become too uncomfortable for him according to our Vet. I think if he regularly starts collapsing more than once a week that he has been averaging that's also a sign.

Taking him back to the Vet for monthly check-up's and will listen to her ongoing advice.

The first line in that referenced article...they aren't kidding, I tell ya ! 99% of the time at present Basil is happy and he's my mate so I can't do anything until it needs to be done and life has got to uncomfortable for him.

Got any stories you'd care to share on how you coped with this sort of sad challenge ?
    Last edited by Beagle; 23-09-2019 at 02:36 PM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Been there a couple of time,Beagle. It is not an easy time. Best wishes.

Thanks. Might be fun to own a Beagle again... in due course.
    Would never be a dull moment if one had a breeding pair and created a whole litter of them https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbcy-luvFJM

Have you ever thought of trying something natural?

https://www.naturalpet.co.nz/product...s-natural.html

On a lighter note.....how do you spot the beagle owner at the park.....he is the guy with the leash in his hand and the dog nowhere in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipi View Post

Thanks Pipi. Not at this stage. This whole thing landed on us like a ton of bricks about 4 weeks ago. We are blessed to have a really good vet so we are going to follow her advice. I'll raise the subject of that product at our next scheduled monthly visit. Thanks again
    This is a Sydney Silky for those unfamiliar with the breed https://www.woofwoofranch.co.nz/
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-09-2019 at 08:50 AM.

All good, just good to have options. Yes very cute aren't they.

All good, just good to have options. Yes very cute aren't they.
    Yes, exceptionally cute but I could be slightly biased That's a pretty fancy dog care facility too.
    We had a very cute Beagle before our 3 Sydney Silky's and she was also extremely cute but quite naughty, (hence my user name as I'm not very P.C. either)
    Suppose it couldn't hurt to double down on the heart support products as at times he is getting quite close to the 40 breaths per minute limit the vet suggested as the point where he's too uncomfortable, when resting, e.g. last night 37 breaths per minute but this morning 30. Will definitely check with the vet and see what she thinks. Thanks again.

Sorry for you and your Sydney Silkey, Beagle , but seriously - homeopathy!
    Homeopathy is bunkum and snake oil and totally discredited by science.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Thanks Peat. We are fortunate to have a very kind and highly experienced older vet so I am pretty comfortable relying on her advice.
    We have 50 days supply of various medications she has prescribed for Basil but I have decided the right thing to do in the circumstances is for regular monthly check-up's.
    Petra is very good and the last visit, (excluding the expensive drugs) was just $45 and she spent 45 minutes on him. Who would have though you could get good vet experience for $60 an hour !
    Of course they make it up with the drug prices and normally you only get 15 minutes but still...the consultation itself is so inexpensive there's no harm in monthly visits and I feel I need to lean on her advice as to when the timing is right for his big sleep.

Yesterday a contact, (who I won't name), said by email to me the reason he doesn't want pets is the painful emotional pain in the process at the end. I find his approach quite bizarre ???? 13 years of unconditional love and fun and there's some emotional and financial pain at the end perhaps for several months. Seems a very small price to me for 13 years of joy ! I guess some people simply don't get the whole "pet thing".
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-09-2019 at 10:53 AM.

yeh pets are awesome, although I am more of a cat person. I recently inherited my Mums cat Lilly , a moggy who Mum brought over from Australia.
    Mum didnt think twice about paying $3,000 to bring Lilly over here with her and I can really see why. So friendly and endearing, an awesome companion to me now that Mum has passed and my partner is living in Wellington for three months.
    Lilly is 14 though so who knows how long she lasts from here. She is still very sprightly and healthy (tho overweight ) so I'm not thinking about that yet, just enjoying her company. The main reason I might choose not to have a pet is that they can be a bit of a tie if you want to go away.

IMG_1765.jpg

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
    Last edited by peat; 24-09-2019 at 11:10 AM.

What a handsome owner and cat
    Far too early for me to think about what pet(s) might be next but Mrs Beagle and I have discussed that we have never owned a cat and maybe its time for a change.
    Could get a big multi coloured tortoise shell cat and pretend its a small tri coloured Beagle lol
    Agree they're a lot less work and more independent.

Quote Originally Posted by peat View Post
    Hi Peat, that isn't actually true. That is often a go to statement for those that don't have the knowledge about it. There have actually been many double blind trials with homeopathy with great results.

Hi Peat, that isn't actually true. That is often a go to statement for those that don't have the knowledge about it. There have actually been many double blind trials with homeopathy with great results.
    Normally I would let this go , and I dont want the thread to be hijacked but it is important to be firm against homeopathy because of the possibility sick people rely on it and miss out on more scientific treatments. The WHO considers it unethical for this reason.

I am not an academic so I will only refer to Wikipedia but that is pretty clear on what homeopathy is

Homeopathy is a
    pseudoscience a belief that is incorrectly presented as scientific. Homeopathic preparations are not effective for treating any condition; large-scale studies have found homeopathy to be no more effective than a
    placebo , indicating that any positive effects that follow treatment are not due to the treatment itself but instead to factors such as normal recovery from illness, or regression toward the mean.

Homeopathy is not a plausible system of treatment, as its claims about drugs, illness, the human body, liquids, and solutions are contradicted by a wide range of discoveries across biology, psychology, physics and chemistry made in the two centuries since its invention. Although some clinical trials produce positive results, multiple systematic reviews have shown that this is because of chance, flawed research methods, and reporting bias.

The continued practice of homeopathy, despite a lack of evidence of efficacy , has led to it being characterized within the scientific and medical communities as nonsense, quackery , and a sham.

I hope this is sufficiently clear to all and the matter is now closed for me.

Lets move on from this debate. I'll ask my vet who has 40 years professional experience and see what she thinks and be guided by her.
    Basil is 13 years and 2 months and the average life expectancy for Sydney Silky's is 12.5 years so I am grateful for the bonus months we've enjoyed with him and whatever else we get from here provided he remains reasonably comfortable is also a bonus despite the increased care and attention he needs. We have to be realistic about our expectations for his remaining life expectancy. I'm not short of a quid so if the vet thinks some additional remedy might help then its a no brainer because he's my mate so sign me up. On the other hand there's no point operating on him at a cost of thousands of dollars at his age because he probably wouldn't even survive the anesthesia.
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-09-2019 at 02:11 PM.