sharetrader

Default Mental Health Awareness

October 10 is world health organisation mental health day and some countries including N.Z. ? recognise the month of October as mental health awareness month.
    Sometimes its a good idea to be aware of the symptoms and just take a day out.
    https://www.seek.co.nz/career-advice...t=Vis_CA_AO_WB
    Often just taking a break for a walk helps to gain perspective and is good for stimulating the serotonin level's in the brain.

On Sunday afternoon's walk I met a new family in our street who had a husky dog and on today's walk I met a nice young chap with a beagle puppy.
    Fringe benefits of walking
    Last edited by Beagle; 22-10-2019 at 02:58 PM.
    No butts, hold no mutts, (unless they're the furry variety).

Agree Beagle...I walk nearly every day on our local beach since having back op in May...just need a coffee and I'm away. Meet all kinds of folk and dogs!
    Mental health is never far from my mind...with yesterday being 6th anniversary of losing our son...could we have done things differently, sure, but don't think it would have helped. More so the professionals who would not see him until he was off alcohol and cannabis.......he tried...

I am sincerely sorry for your loss ari. Please don't blame yourself. It must be extraordinary difficult, even now many years on to live with the tragedy of the loss of your son. I really feel for you.

In a very small way I have a sense of your loss as I just lost my last of 3 Sydney Silky dog's ten days ago and he was my favourite and a real sweetie. He was very much part of the family and I don't mind admitting it has been very tough... so meeting other dogs out on my walks and giving them a really good patting has been quite therapeutic.

I really hope your journey to find peace goes well.

I am getting there but it takes time...
    Last edited by Beagle; 22-10-2019 at 06:34 PM.

condolences Ari, that sounds very very tough
    its nice that you can walk around a beach the sea is very soothing
    I have a lovely and leafy 3km loop in a suburb where I do my daily walk.
    Good thread Beagle , folks need to be kind to themselves.
    For clarity, nothing I say is advice....

percy

Ex son in law used to go right off his head.No help available.Weeks wait to get an appointment.We hoped he would try and break into a chemist shop,get caught and locked up.[yes he was that bad]
    Recently brother in law had mental health issues.One week wanted to climb Mt Everest,the next week wanted to jump off it.
    Received help at Hillmorton.What a total dump.He had a fall while there [in their care],and had trouble getting up and walking."All in the mind" the experts said.Later Xray showed a damaged back.
    Break an arm people can see it.Mental health people can not see it.So it is not recognised.
    Canterbury's mental problems are growing,yet services appear to be contracting,and of a very poor standard.
    Last edited by percy; 24-10-2019 at 05:42 PM.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/e...beyond-age-50/
    Interesting. 4 walks a week for 30 minutes.
    Lately I have decreased my regular route down from 4 km's and 40 minutes to a little bit shorter. The interesting thing I am finding is that I feel far more inclined to increase the number of walks per week and I am enjoying it more now that I am not pushing myself quite so hard on the hilly sections.
    Last edited by Beagle; 24-10-2019 at 05:34 PM.