sharetrader

Default Recommended accountant for tax return

Hi,

I have some losses I'm hoping to claim tax back on that I think I require a accountant, can anyone recommend anyone?
    Ideally I don't want someone that's going to take a percentage of the tax back as the losses are quite high.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryrynz View Post
    Hi,

I have some losses I'm hoping to claim tax back on that I think I require a accountant, can anyone recommend anyone?
    Ideally I don't want someone that's going to take a percentage of the tax back as the losses are quite high.
    You might find a friendly accountant on here that would lap up the chance to get some money back from IRD for you

Are you currently sending a return in with your profits?? - e.g. deemed a trader??
    Once you make a claim, you will have to keep sending returns in, cannot pick and chose what years to make a return

Also may pay to say what area you live in to narrow down the field a bit

Don't use one, just a small trader and do it myself

Hi,

Some free advice, don't go there.
    Last edited by Beagle; 25-10-2019 at 03:47 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Some free advice, don't go there.
    Don't go where? To an accountant?
    I haven't sent anything in with my trades before so I haven't been deemed anything but there have been a fair amount of transactions over the years.
    I'm probably in over my head so I need help. I'm in the Wellington area. If I had to do returns every year that would be fine I guess, I have records back to 2013..

Advanced Member

Don't go where? To an accountant?
    I haven't sent anything in with my trades before so I haven't been deemed anything but there have been a fair amount of transactions over the years.
    I'm probably in over my head so I need help. I'm in the Wellington area. If I had to do returns every year that would be fine I guess, I have records back to 2013..
    I'm not sure but just because you might have copped a hiding in the past year , doesn't mean you can suddenly become a trader and claim it .....

The only way to attempt to get tax back on share losses is to declare yourself a trader. You will have to present a significant body of evidence to verify your claim and yes, you will have to file tax returns back from when you started trading in 2013. Are you sure you want to do that ?
    This will mean any profits you have made in the last 6 years are taxable and any profits you make in the future will also be taxable. Any good local chartered accountant in the yellow pages should be able to give you good advice on this. Ask around amongst friends and business associates and extended family for a recommendation of someone local.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    The only way to attempt to get tax back on share losses is to declare yourself a trader. You will have to present a significant body of evidence to verify your claim and yes, you will have to file tax returns back from when you started trading in 2013. Are you sure you want to do that ?
    This will mean any profits you have made in the last 6 years are taxable and any profits you make in the future will also be taxable. Any good local chartered accountant in the yellow pages should be able to give you good advice on this. Ask around amongst friends and business associates and extended family for a recommendation of someone local.
    Beagle does that potentially open him up to not declaring those profits at the time and penalty tax etc ?

Yes, late payment penalties and potentially interest use of money as well. I assume he's filed tax returns already for 2013-2018 years. You can only file amended returns going back four years. I think this is a real can of worms that should only be opened if it absolutely must be and has implications for this person for all future share investing as well as past investing / trading.

Some good advice from a good local accountant in Wellington should be taken. IRD are very, very reluctant to pay out refunds on share losses.

I won't comment any further on this subject as professional advice should be taken ASAP.
    Last edited by Beagle; 14-11-2019 at 08:40 AM.