sharetrader
Page 87 of 115 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197 ... LastLast

Thread: Power shares

... repeat ...
    Last edited by Jaa; 01-03-2021 at 07:10 PM.

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Solar produces most in Summer reducing demand for hydro when dams are low …. .
    Summer is when dams are normally high. The South Island gets much of its rain in spring coinciding with the snow melt season so that most dams are at around 85 - 90% full by late January. February is generally the driest month for inflows, but then there is another burst of rain following the autumnal equinox to fill dams up ready for winter.

The dams are drawn down over May - September so that they are lowest when the cycle repeats.

IMO

Just a beginning,Launch Of The Largest Solar system in NZ. No threat to our power companies? Im concerned.

Radio NZ business news includes an item on a report by Jarden Securities raising the possibility of an electrical supply glut when taking into account announcements of new geothermal and wind together with the closing of Tiwai Point.

Audio link;

https://www.rnz.co.nz/audio/player?audio_id=2018785688

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    Diamonds are a girls best friend.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Munroe View Post
    Radio NZ business news includes an item on a report by Jarden Securities raising the possibility of an electrical supply glut when taking into account announcements of new geothermal and wind together with the closing of Tiwai Point.

Audio link;

https://www.rnz.co.nz/audio/player?audio_id=2018785688

Boop boop de do
    Marilyn
    The Jarden man talked about the Onslow pumped hydro project coming on stream, combined with departure of the Tiwai Point Aluminium smelter. Neither event I believe is certain. He also talked about the slow adoption of alternative use for that Tiwai Point energy. If there is no economic use the Tiwai energy from alternative business proposals, I expect the Tiwai contract will be repriced to encourage Tiwai to stay. While all those negative events are possible, I would think the better use of Contact's 'Clyde River Battery' and Mercury's 'Waikato River Battery' would see the economics of a a third large scale hydro battery (Onslow) diminish. While it should not be dismissed, I don't regard Grant Swanipoole's glut of energy scenario to pan out.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 02-03-2021 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Honslow -> Onslow (spelling)
    Watch out for the most persistent and dangerous version of Covid-19: B.S.24/7

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    The Jarden man talked about the Honslow pumped hydro project coming on stream, combined with departure of the Tiwai Point Aluminium smelter. Neither event I believe is certain. He also talked about the slow adoption of alternative use for that Tiwai Point energy. If there is no economic use the Tiwai energy from alternative business proposals, I expect the Tiwai contract will be repriced to encourage Tiwai to stay. While all those negative events are possible, I would think the better use of Contact's 'Clyde River Battery' and Mercury's 'Waikato River Battery' would see the economics of a a third large scale hydro battery (Honslow) diminish. While it should not be dismissed, I don't regard Grant Swanipoole's glut of energy scenario to pan out.

SNOOPY
    Unlike the other Gentailers, Contact's hydro is not really much of a battery at all. Clyde's storage is only 6 GWh, and at normal inflows that can be emptied in 22 hours. Roxburgh is even less at 1.6 GWh and can be emptied in as little as 6 hours. The only true storage on the Clutha scheme is at Hawea, but that has such severe ramp rate and flow restrictions that changes in outflow must be made 15 - 24 hours before the water is either required, or no longer required, at Clyde. In addition, the minimum flow requirements downstream of Roxburgh mean that the Clutha stations can only be used to buffer a maximum of 200 MW of intermittent generation such as wind.

Mercury are not much better off on the Waikato. Their largest headpond at Ohakuri holds around 2.5 GWh of storage and can be emptied in 36 hours at normal inflows. Changes made at the Taupo control gates take 24 hours to reach Ohakuri. They also have minimum flows and ramp rate restrictions at Karipiro that limit how much they can swing load around. Fortunately, Maraetai was built as a frequency keeping station, and for short periods of time can swing through quite a range. Overall, for buffering intermittent generation, the Waikato can manage around 400 MW.

New Zealand already has around 700 MW of wind generation installed and that is the limit of what our current plant can cope with. The government's plan of replacing all thermal generation with wind will require an additional 2000 MW of installed capacity, and that is far in excess of what our grid can currently handle safely.

The Lake Onslow scheme, if built to capacity will be 1200 MW. The good part apout that is that unlike conventional hydro, pumped storage can buffer twice its own capacity in wind generation. So that 1200 MW at Onslow would permit a further 2400 MW of installed wind generation. That is sufficient to replace our current thermals, plus allow for some overbuild for future years load increase.
    Last edited by Jantar; 02-03-2021 at 02:47 PM.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Slightly OT, but have you documented your install? I'd be interested in hearing some of the details.
    Fish has documented his experiences in running a Nissan Leaf on the electric car thread starting here,

https://www.sharetrader.co.nz/showth...l=1#post780330

I think he also documented his home installation recharging system too. But tthat detail must have been on another thread. This is the sort of thing you used to be able to use the search tool to find, But that is still down unfortunately, as it has been since the DDOS attack.

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 02-03-2021 at 07:48 PM.

Veteran novice

Thanks for another informative post, Jantar.

And Snoopy, when did "Onslow" morph into "Honslow" - or is this an alternative spelling?

Veteran novice

Delete - another duplicate!

Last edited by macduffy; 02-03-2021 at 02:44 PM.

On the doghouse

Quote Originally Posted by macduffy View Post
    And Snoopy, when did "Onslow" morph into "Honslow" - or is this an alternative spelling?
    If we are talking about the English hamlet on the B1008 road in Essex, then either name is acceptable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hounslow_Green

Or it would be if I had known how to spell 'Hounslow' (I wrote 'Honslow',)

SNOOPY
    Last edited by Snoopy; 02-03-2021 at 02:53 PM.