Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
AGL expands 'virtual power plant' beyond South Australia

https://www.afr.com/companies/energy...0200921-p55xth

maybe jantar , horus1 etc could comment on how or if this type of virtual operation could potentially impact on power companies here ?
I am not sure about how AGL's scheme will work. I do know that in Queensland my SIL received a huge subsidy to install solar panels on her roof, and she receives 40c per unit that she feeds back into the grid. That scheme is now halted for new customers, but she is grandfathered and so still receives that income until such times as her installation is paid for.

The economics for solar do not really stack up for NZ as a whole, but for some areas it can be worthwhile. Anywhere north of 32 deg latitude should certainly be on solar, between 32 and 45 deg check with the available sunshine hours and do your sums, it could be beneficial. South of 45 deg, don't even consider it.

Add in the battery, and the economics do improve a bit, but be aware that the battery does degrade over time, just like an EV car battery does.

Having a very large number of installations in an area could work like a virtual power station, but spread over the whole country, would require a massive dismantling of our electricity market.