sharetrader
Page 115 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1565105111112113114115
Results 1,141 to 1,147 of 1147

Thread: Power shares

  1. #1141
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    262

    Default

    How long has Kupe got to run? Is there areas around it that have potential resources?.. in terms of shutting it down, isnít it just capping the wells?.. they will provisions around this?.

  2. #1142
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky-bobby View Post
    How long has Kupe got to run? Is there areas around it that have potential resources?.. in terms of shutting it down, isnít it just capping the wells?.. they will provisions around this?.
    IMO Kupe will last for another decade, with output declining over this time. Output decline will be partially offset by decreasing demand through electrification of process heat and markedly increasing renewable electricity generation decreasing the need for thermal (gas and coal) electricity generation

    I would not discount the possibility of LNG import in the future (mid 2030's onwards), which will require storage. Kupe could fit this requirement

  3. #1143
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xafalcon View Post
    IMO Kupe will last for another decade, with output declining over this time. Output decline will be partially offset by decreasing demand through electrification of process heat and markedly increasing renewable electricity generation decreasing the need for thermal (gas and coal) electricity generation

    I would not discount the possibility of LNG import in the future (mid 2030's onwards), which will require storage. Kupe could fit this requirement
    Kupe has an unmanned platform, not set up to allow gas reinjection in any meaningful way.

    Theoretically it could last 10 years but even with development drilling happening now decline curve will kick in hard.



    Kupe 1P remaining (at Jan 2023) is 177 Pj, 2P is 214.29 Pj, 3P is 275 Pj. Not that much upside to further development when average deliverability for 2022 was 59.6Tj.

    As soon as Methanex leaves, gas market is ruined for further investment. Geology at that point wont matter as gas market wont allow FID on further work.

  4. #1144
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    489

    Default

    Your link is not working for me, could you please repost it

  5. #1145
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xafalcon View Post
    Your link is not working for me, could you please repost it
    Nothing really interesting just a quick graph I made from MBIE declared reserves. Hopefully it works below.


    Kupe_gas_forecast.JPG

    Otherwise source data from here:

    https://www.mbie.govt.nz/building-an...reserves-data/

    Always fun to play around with to try and guess at what production level does someone start decommissioning their field. I suspect once the companies realise they will never be able to sell (due to ongoing liability conditions from Crown Minerals act) it will happen sooner than most people expect.

  6. #1146
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    489

    Default

    Thanks, it's working now

    I thinks it's always good to listen to others comments, so I can learn more about a situation

    Does methanex still run their original site and the synfuel front end? I visited both sites in the late 80's as a university student studying industrial chemical engineering. I think methanex was called petralgas back then. And the synfuel plant was making high quality branched chain synthetic petrol with ZSM5 zeolite catalyst

    I tend to think gas production will be extended as much as possible as LNG is an expensive option for late-stage (10 years time) fossil fuel use

  7. #1147
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xafalcon View Post
    Thanks, it's working now

    I thinks it's always good to listen to others comments, so I can learn more about a situation

    Does methanex still run their original site and the synfuel front end? I visited both sites in the late 80's as a university student studying industrial chemical engineering. I think methanex was called petralgas back then. And the synfuel plant was making high quality branched chain synthetic petrol with ZSM5 zeolite catalyst

    I tend to think gas production will be extended as much as possible as LNG is an expensive option for late-stage (10 years time) fossil fuel use
    Methanex has its Waitara Valley permanently idled. Motunui swings between its trains swapping gas with Genesis in winter and running full bore over wet summers.

    Petrochemical production underpins all investment in continued production. With out Methanex et al taking all the excess gas from the market, producing fields would need to have stop and start production seasonally. Which at their later life stage means big technical problems. Purchases on the spot out side those contracts, means industrial users pay unbelievable high prices (up to 25 $/GJ). Luckily the spot is a tiny percentage of the market.

    Quarterly_gas_prices_NZ.JPG

    Most likely the system runs until untidy failure and sky high gas prices start forcing out the last major customers. Too late to build an LNG facility to bridge the reserve gap and no way residential demand can justify the infrastructure needed. If one of the big producers drops out of the market and there is no industrial petrochemical users to swap gas, all cards off the table. Just look at the field declines despite the recent development drilling at Maui, onshore and interventions at Pohokura. From July 2022 to July 2023 Pohokura production dropped from ~110 TJ to under 80 TJ. That is in just one year!

    Gas_production_by_field.JPG

    Producers will eek out their last reserves and if behind close doors Methanex is still willing to sign long contracts, should give us a little time. Going to be interesting.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •