sharetrader
Page 43 of 115 FirstFirst ... 333940414243444546475393 ... LastLast

Thread: Power shares

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Horus with your obviousl knowledge of the industry, could you point me to any good "economic batteries" to store my residential solar production, rather than sell it back to the grid ? I am keen but have never been able to make the numbers work when I have looked at it, admittedly not for the last 18-24 months, so much may have changed in that time.
    I have built my own house battery from a repurposed electric vehicle lithium battery. Linking through a hybrid inverter and imported BMS. True storage capacity around 15kWhr. Total battery & BMS cost about $7000. My labour was about 30-40 hours. I have 5.25kWp solar and am fully self sufficient for 8 months of the year. I will add another 2-3 kWp solar before next winter to keep the EV's charged through winter

But the cheapest solar battery is your electric hot water cylinder. If you haven't already, get a solar power diverter to manage your hot water heating. For about $1000 investment you will have free hot water for 9 months of the year

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Thank you Carpenterjoe.

So it's basically a case of production exceeding demand in a scenario where production can't be controlled.

If I remember correctly, in that scenario, Germany sends the surplus to Norway who do indeed pump water uphill.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    Thank you Carpenterjoe.

So it's basically a case of production exceeding demand in a scenario where production can't be controlled.

If I remember correctly, in that scenario, Germany sends the surplus to Norway who do indeed pump water uphill.
    There is apparently very interesting new technology out there which allows for "storing generated energy" generated in off peak periods
    for release later in times of peak demand.

Probably something of interest to folks in the NWF (NZ Windfarms) thread

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by xafalcon View Post
    I have built my own house battery from a repurposed electric vehicle lithium battery. Linking through a hybrid inverter and imported BMS. True storage capacity around 15kWhr. Total battery & BMS cost about $7000. My labour was about 30-40 hours. I have 5.25kWp solar and am fully self sufficient for 8 months of the year. I will add another 2-3 kWp solar before next winter to keep the EV's charged through winter

But the cheapest solar battery is your electric hot water cylinder. If you haven't already, get a solar power diverter to manage your hot water heating. For about $1000 investment you will have free hot water for 9 months of the year
    Yes. We recently replaced our ageing SolaHart water heating unit. All up including installation about $9k from memory. It’s working really well, just gotta hope that it lasts 10 years or more with no major issues. It’s nice to have free hot water for most of the year.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by nztx View Post
    There is apparently very interesting new technology out there which allows for "storing generated energy" generated in off peak periods
    for release later in times of peak demand.

Probably something of interest to folks in the NWF (NZ Windfarms) thread
    its not particularly interesting - its just simply massive batteries! Its good, its such a basic obvious solution, which is why Australia is investing so much in the worlds biggest battery farm. It actually makes a lot of sense for Auckland, whatever capacity constraint there currently is getting power from south to north can be somewhat alleviated by having the energy flow in low demand off peak times into battery storage to be used at peak demand periods.

Missed by that much

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    Out of idle curiosity, to what problem is pumped hydro at Lake Onslow the solution?
    It solves a number of problems.

1. It reduces the need for lines upgrades in the lower South Island. When there is more generation in the lower south than the lines can handle, the pumped storage station uses that excess energy to pump water to the upper reservoir for use later.

2. It triples New Zealand's current hydro storage allowing the country to manage droughts much more efficiently.

3. It buffers wind generation in the ratio of 2 MW of wind generation for each 1 MW of pumped storage. New Zealand is right now at the limit of grid stability for any additional wind generation. As the wind fluctuates other plant has to ramp up or down to make up the difference demanded by the changing output of wind. This means peaking plant having to start up or shut down for very short periods of time, or other plant being required to go into overload, or even worse, generate at below minimum load. Pumped storage can take up that slack much more efficiently and still provide spinning reserve or interruptible load.

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

Thank you for the detail Jantar. Much appreciated

So I think that my understanding as outlined in my original post and updated for the detail which so many posters have provided is (in laymans terms) roughly correct.

In the short term, the power generated at Manapouri is essentially “stranded” until some transmission upgrades are made.

In the medium term, the power generated at Manapouri can function as “a big wet battery”, but cannot do so directly.

In the long term, the power generated at Manapouri will be a very useful addition to the nation’s generation capacity as the economy electrifies itself..

So - looking forward to the TransPower bond issue. . .

Now, as far as batteries are concerned, I seem to recall reading something in the IEEE Spectrum magazine a couple of years ago about something called "Vanadium Redox Flow Batteries" being used at scale in China. However the tsubject seems to have gone quite quiet of late. Has anything happened there?

With the pace of technology change noone on a board is going to commit major capital for pumped storage .

Ignorant. Just ignorant.

I think that it would be a political decision, made in Wellington, "in the national interest", horus1. Very likely it would be a TransPower project in the interests of "grid stability", with some element of governmental coercion.

Read the answer below. Have put on a 10Kwhr solex battery with 15 KWH of solar and it is very economic. I have a lot of froiends from the top of the Industry and they have put on Solar.