sharetrader
Page 44 of 115 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494 ... LastLast

Thread: Power shares

Quote Originally Posted by GTM 3442 View Post
    Thank you Carpenterjoe.

So it's basically a case of production exceeding demand in a scenario where production can't be controlled.

If I remember correctly, in that scenario, Germany sends the surplus to Norway who do indeed pump water uphill.
    Pretty much, Also the oblivious situation when a margin can be made on the difference in peak prices.

In Australia my

Standard rate is .1379510 per KWH
    Peak usage is .2955920 per KWH
    Daily supply charge of .902 per day

I'm sure I could get cheaper rates, but we do not consume enough to justify the time to re negotiate every few years.

Iceman, solar calculations can be difficult and depends on what you supplier is willing to pay you. If solar was installed at the unit i rent, I could set the battery software up to export a certain % at peak and leave enough to run the household during peak. Then consume cheaper off peak and re charge during off peak. No point exporting during off peak unless you have excess and Do not forget to apply a standard electricity appreciation value.

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Carpenterjoe View Post
    Pretty much, Also the oblivious situation when a margin can be made on the difference in peak prices.

In Australia my

Standard rate is .1379510 per KWH
    Peak usage is .2955920 per KWH
    Daily supply charge of .902 per day

I'm sure I could get cheaper rates, but we do not consume enough to justify the time to re negotiate every few years.

Iceman, solar calculations can be difficult and depends on what you supplier is willing to pay you. If solar was installed at the unit i rent, I could set the battery software up to export a certain % at peak and leave enough to run the household during peak. Then consume cheaper off peak and re charge during off peak. No point exporting during off peak unless you have excess and Do not forget to apply a standard electricity appreciation value.
    Thank you for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12347784

I swear, everyone seems to read my posts and steal all my ideas and stock tips.
    Ironic how the graphic illustration of what a Tesla Gigafactory could look like at Tiwai Pt has solar panels on the roof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bung5 View Post
    Ironic how the graphic illustration of what a Tesla Gigafactory could look like at Tiwai Pt has solar panels on the roof
    Southland not known for its sunshine......although long summer twilights....

Got chatting to my cousin who lives in Southland on the weekend.
    The sense down there is things will be grim. Not far as the crow flies from Manopouri power station to Bluff he said. Not sure why commonsense on transmission pricing couldn't have prevailed.
    Academics with their fancy conceptual theories on transmission pricing have played a major part in sinking this, is what he suggested, (pretty bright guy with thousands of hectares of farm land growing all sorts of things in Southland).
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

ardern understood Rio Tinto was still in talks with Meridian Energy and the timing of those commercial talks would assist the Government in the timeframe it needed to support the region

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/122...n-in-southland

slither of hope for an extension to closure date , would be a good outcome for all i reckon. i brought mcy recently
    Last edited by bull....; 16-07-2020 at 12:04 PM.
    one step ahead of the herd

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Got chatting to my cousin who lives in Southland on the weekend.
    The sense down there is things will be grim. Not far as the crow flies from Manopouri power station to Bluff he said. Not sure why commonsense on transmission pricing couldn't have prevailed.
    Academics with their fancy conceptual theories on transmission pricing have played a major part in sinking this, is what he suggested, (pretty bright guy with thousands of hectares of farm land growing all sorts of things in Southland).
    The relief that the power companies have provided in this round of negotiations for Rio Tinto far exceed any discounting they requested in terms of transmission pricing. To me this seems less about the cost of power/transmission and more about the world aluminium price and long term viability. A big company decision. Although they could be playing games and just trying to extract that last $5-10 million.
    Last edited by k14; 16-07-2020 at 04:37 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by bull.... View Post
    ardern understood Rio Tinto was still in talks with Meridian Energy and the timing of those commercial talks would assist the Government in the timeframe it needed to support the region

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/122...n-in-southland

slither of hope for an extension to closure date , would be a good outcome for all i reckon. i brought mcy recently
    MCY looks good buying at 4.55-just bought a pile at that price .

Banned

Would we see Mel writes off Manapouri Powe station because of smelter closing?

Guru

Retail investors still hold alot in this sector but I wonder how much is trickling into overseas ownership.

For contact (CEN) according to simplywst:

JP Morgan chase 7%
    Blackrock 5%
    Vangaurd 5%
    AusSuper 2.5%
    Norges Bank 1.5%
    UBS 0.7%

If it is possible to do now, then it will only increase esp with the prevalence of cheap money in other places in the world.

On the way is more trillions in stimulus in the US as covid takes hold is even more robinhood newbies piling in through the above institutions.
    Last edited by Panda-NZ-; 19-07-2020 at 01:36 PM.