sharetrader
Page 101 of 115 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1147

Thread: Power shares

What’s happening with Trustpower SP has dropped over the last few weeks, unloved or is bad news to come out soon?

Quote Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
    The cable is designed to serve Singapore and potentially other nations in the region with renewable solar power from the Australian desert
    Sounds like a pipe dream. Australia can't even supply itself with renewable energy.

Lots of already operating renewable hydro energy going to waste in East Malaysia which is much closer. They are also talking about a cable to Singapore.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jaa View Post
    Sounds like a pipe dream. Australia can't even supply itself with renewable energy.

Lots of already operating renewable hydro energy going to waste in East Malaysia which is much closer. They are also talking about a cable to Singapore.
    Maybe the Aussies are going to plug their Nuc Submarines into the grid ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Low-user electricity tariffs will be phased out over 5 years

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/126...t-over-5-years

I'm not certain that this move will cause the desired result, namely lower power bills.
    Coming back to this, a colleague has recently been looking at installing a solar panel plus battery. This is a large cost (and increasing due to supply, labour costs, and shipping cost increases) even when financed. Given the changes to the retail pricing structure, it appears to make less sense to install solar unless they can completely disconnect from the grid.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Coming back to this, a colleague has recently been looking at installing a solar panel plus battery. This is a large cost (and increasing due to supply, labour costs, and shipping cost increases) even when financed. Given the changes to the retail pricing structure, it appears to make less sense to install solar unless they can completely disconnect from the grid.
    I installed panels and battery. Cost 20,000. It's on a new built house so can't say exactly what it saves me, but last years power cost 1300, which is dirt cheap (In Dunedin). Certainly neighbours I have quizzed are around 3 or 4 thousand at least for similar, 2 person, households and only electric heating. I'm happy with that. It's the equivalent of over 15% taxable return, and that's impossible to get out of a risk-free investment. With marginal tax rising to 39% it becomes an easier choice for those on the top marginal rate. I'll play with the figures as I learn more about the performance with a view to adding more panels or more battery.
    Last edited by fungus pudding; 26-09-2021 at 12:49 PM.

Quiet Observer

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    I installed panels and battery. Cost 20,000. It's on a new built house so can't say exactly what it saves me, but last years power cost 1300, which is dirt cheap (In Dunedin). Certainly neighbours I have quizzed are around 3 or 4 thousand at least for similar, 2 person, households and only electric heating. I'm happy with that. It's the equivalent of over 15% taxable return, and that's impossible to get out of a risk-free investment. With marginal tax rising to 39% it becomes an easier choice for those on the top marginal rate. I'll play with the figures as I learn more about the performance with a view to adding more panels or more battery.
    Seems to be a good return - well done!
    Taking a conservative approach, what is the expected life of your system before you have to reinvest; as in replacing panels, batteries etc ?

For the $20K what sort of system did you go for FP. Rolls Royce, Toyota or Lada? Any key learnings that you have taken from the exercise and thus recommend to others to what they should or shouldn't do?
    Last edited by FTG; 26-09-2021 at 02:15 PM.
    Success is a journey AND a destination!

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by fungus pudding View Post
    Nice!
    Additionally I don’t think power will get cheaper going forward. That will enhance it as well.
    I took a different route 2 years ago and installed a solar hart water heater. $7000 + installation say 2k. (Can’t recall)
    Unless extended cloudy period, no water heating from now till late April early mid May. Power bill average $130/mth (Contact), no electrical heating all fires, we live in the North. Seems quite good, our power is quite expensive I believe.

Just need it to last 15-20 years, last one was problematic after ~25.

Couldn't help notice GNE net yield of 5.24%. With 80% imputation that's 6.75% gross. Company has changed its dividend policy here https://www.genesisenergy.co.nz/investors/dividends
    but they say this The Board also confirmed a new dividend policy of paying out between 70% and 90% of free cash flow. The change in policy introduces the flexibility to retain capital to invest in our Future-gen strategy. However, the change in policy does not represent a departure from our aim to grow dividends over time and we recognise the importance of dividends to our investors.. GNE is transitioning to a lower carbon future and accordingly may not currently have any ESG premium built into its $3.32 share price (unlike the other gentailiers). Analysts see this very differently, with no consensus at all...which is quite unusual https://www.marketscreener.com/quote...957/consensus/

Disc: I recently added a few more GNE to my portfolio.
    Last edited by Beagle; 26-09-2021 at 02:28 PM.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Couldn't help notice GNE net yield of 5.24%. With 80% imputation that's 6.75% gross. Company has changed its dividend policy here https://www.genesisenergy.co.nz/investors/dividends
    but they say this The Board also confirmed a new dividend policy of paying out between 70% and 90% of free cash flow. The change in policy introduces the flexibility to retain capital to invest in our Future-gen strategy. However, the change in policy does not represent a departure from our aim to grow dividends over time and we recognise the importance of dividends to our investors.. GNE is transitioning to a lower carbon future and accordingly may not currently have any ESG premium built into its $3.32 share price (unlike the other gentailiers). Analysts see this very differently, with no consensus at all...which is quite unusual https://www.marketscreener.com/quote...957/consensus/

Disc: I recently added a few more GNE to my portfolio.
    Hi Beagle. A few times I’ve noticed your posts have shared links to market screener referring to their analysts. I’m a beginner starting to learn and I’m curious on your reasoning for looking at market screeners analyst predictions over other sites analysts? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyKong View Post
    Hi Beagle. A few times I’ve noticed your posts have shared links to market screener referring to their analysts. I’m a beginner starting to learn and I’m curious on your reasoning for looking at market screeners analyst predictions over other sites analysts? Thanks in advance.
    Hi DonkeyKong. I love your user name, (one of my favorite games from the 1980's)
    Market screener is a free site that compiles analyst recommendations so you get a pretty good idea as to how the average analyst sees a stock (which removes the bias from any one analyst). Reuters has something similar but I prefer market screener.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine