sharetrader
Page 15 of 115 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: Power shares

Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    Certainly do.
    Rio Tinto have the bauxite needed to make Aluminium.
    Should they be able to sell their bauxite to Chinese Aluminium Smelters for a top price, there will be no reason to keep Tiwai Point Smelter operating.
    I would think to keep their profitable bauxite mining going, they will keep Tiwai operating.
    All depends on their transfer pricing, and Chinese demand for bauxite.
    Short term demand will be weak,but the longer term demand may be strong.
    I have shares in Bauxite miner Metro Mining, and they are ramping up production to meet forecast demand.
    I sure hope Tiwai continues in NZ, for many reasons, Other than the obvious importance to the local economy, seeing this relatively environmentally friendly smelter replaced by a coal spewing smelter in China that emits 10x more CO2 into the air, is a terrible thought. They have enough issues there now making electricity (from coal) to fuel their fast increasing number of electric cars. Go figure !!

I hope they close . They have not added economic benefit to NZ for many years and they really use electricity that is 63% non CO2. The talk about it being environmentally good energy is wrong . I used to run the NZ electricity sector

Wow..horus..I for one look forward to further posts...however I realise that may not be possible..anyways..cheers

Big fall in the price of Aluminium today. This is going to be a line ball decision and could easily go either way.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    Big fall in the price of Aluminium today. This is going to be a line ball decision and could easily go either way.
    Is there a set date for the decision?

Not that I can recall but I think its due pretty soon, from memory by April sometime.
    Ecclesiastes 11:2: “Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth.
    Ben Graham - In the short run the market is a voting machine but in the long run the market is a weighing machine

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin View Post
    Is there a set date for the decision?
    31st March. However there's nothing stopping them saying they need more time and take another 3-6 months!

IMO

Jantar , Hi are you still around? Be great to get some thoughts from you re the subjects on these threads. cheers JT

The Kid

Not sure if the government will come to the party this time. Not exactly a Labour stronghold down there in Southland either. "Mataura dross: Environment Minister targets smelter company in letter."

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/411402/mataura-dross-environment-minister-targets-smelter-company-in-letter
    Last edited by IAK; 10-03-2020 at 10:21 PM.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by horus1 View Post
    I hope they close . They have not added economic benefit to NZ for many years and they really use electricity that is 63% non CO2. The talk about it being environmentally good energy is wrong . I used to run the NZ electricity sector
    Wow, I did my apprenticeship with the old NZED.